2021 Recruiting?

4,011 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bobbk
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see April now follows a pair of international guards possibly of age to be 2021 recruits, an Estonian and an Aussie.

Both look very good. No disrespect to the two Euro guards coming in but they look better on YouTube:

https://www.fiba.basketball/oceania/u17women/2019/player/Jade-Melbourne

https://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18bwomen/2019/player/Anna-Gret-Asi

Intuit

Jade Melbourne was awarded junior female athlete of the year

Intuit

Great 2020 You Tube of of Anna Gret ASI

She looks like a great talent. I'd love to see her playing in Haas
Intuit

Jade Melbourne April 2020 highlights

stu
Jade Melbourne is an interesting name for an Australian. I read she's in Brisbane.
bearwbbfan
Arizona's entire team follows Anna Gret Asi on Instagram. Likely either a silent commit or they are pushing for her really hard. In addition to Cal, looks like Kansas, Oregon, Oregon State, South Florida, and others are in the mix.
Intuit
Her highlight video proves that she would be a major talent for any of the teams to sign in 2021. It's a video that you can use as a standard by which to judge the talent of all other pg recruits, check it out.

Here's hoping that she likes the west coast and specifically Berkeley, California better than all other potential landing spots.
HoopDreams
Intuit said:

Her highlight video proves that she would be a major talent for any of the teams to sign in 2021. It's a video that you can use as a standard by which to judge the talent of all other pg recruits, check it out.

Here's hoping that she likes the west coast and specifically Berkeley, California better than all other potential landing spots.

wow. you are right. a special talent
puget sound cal fan
Melbourne could get the scoop on Berkeley from her countrywoman, Sara.
Schroeder71
I watched approximately half of each players recruiting video. The Estonian player, Anna Gret (#2), appears to be a dead-eye shooter from distance. She also uses her left-hand well to finish drives. I only noticed two defensive plays (steals) made out towards the top of the key. Her outside shots were set shots (from the chest level) which could get blocked in Division I college competition.

The Aussie, Jade Melbourne (#6), appeared to possess superior foot speed and made many steals on defense.
She was not quite as smooth on offense but made her shots. She was quicker on her drives to the basket.

It's hard to tell how good these gals are when they never miss a shot. I did not notice any black players in either highlite video. Obviously, the level of competition will have a major impact on each young lady. Neither of their respective stats were phenominal. Neither had enough assists to consider them point guards. Both were not prolific scorers, either. The Estonian wasn't bad with an average of 10 ppg. The Australian recruit owned pedestrian stats.

Now that I have watched four foreign guards respective high-lite films (3 Europeans plus one Aussie), I noticed that their games are quite similar...The best way to evaluate them on a relative basis might be to be cognizant of their level of competition (or the strength of their league). GO BEARS!
CoffeeBear

"It's hard to tell how good these gals are when they never miss a shot. I did not notice any black players in either highlite video."

What the actual eff? Why do you feel the need to even mention race ? Irrelevant at best ...

I usually ignore posts that I find somewhat irritating but this makes no sense!
ClayK
The level of competition is always key, and highlight reels are always a poor tool for evaluation -- unless they show a player's weaknesses. Get enough film, though, and there will be no weaknesses.

I would like to see both play against more athletic competition, and of course "athletic" is a code word. So is it better to use the code word or Black?
Schroeder71
exactly, Clay
HoopDreams
Of course it's tough to evaluate a player from highlight video. As they say, you never miss a shot from a highlight video (and you never have a turnover), and of course it depends on level of competition

But Anna Gret looks like she's got game with her ball handling. She has great hesi and change direction moves and looks like she can find open spots and knock down her shots

I compare her video to our incoming euro and see a higher ceiling
calbear80
Any updates?

Go Bears!
bearwbbfan
Anna Gret Asi is likely to commit to Arizona today or within the next few days.

Arizona also landed Aaronette Vonleh, a top-40 center from Oregon.
bearwbbfan
wbbilluminati
bearwbbfan said:

Reminds me of when we were recruiting Asha Thomas in terms of needs and competing schools/offers

Looking ahead I hope we emerge among the leaders for 2022 PG Londyyn Jones and Amaya Bonner.
CalFanatic
If you are Curry looking at the previous class full of top 100 posts... how can you not be intrigued? I hope this new class gets to play this year...
SFCALBear72
It appears that Jayda Curry is following Leilani McIntosh on Twitter because she retweeted a couple of her posts.
bobbk

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.