season postponed

1,831 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CalWSportsFan
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All sports postponed to 2021: Washington Post article
Schroeder71
https://calbears.com/news/2020/8/11/athletics-news-pac-12-postpones-sport-competitions-through-2020.aspx

If women or men are to play basketball in 2021, I guess it would only be the conference schedule. This decision would crowd 26 Cal athletic teams into the spring somehow. I would not want to be the logistics planner in charge of solving this mess...GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
Yeah, that would push everyone supporting cal sports over the brink, and also be tough on facilities since many sports share Haas, etc

But I always thought it would be easier to postpone BB compared to FB since half of BB was already played in the spring and finishes a month before the end of the Spring semester

Schroeder71 said:

https://calbears.com/news/2020/8/11/athletics-news-pac-12-postpones-sport-competitions-through-2020.aspx

If women or men are to play basketball in 2021, I guess it would only be the conference schedule. This decision would crowd 26 Cal athletic teams into the spring somehow. I would not want to be the logistics planner in charge of solving this mess...GO BEARS!
ClayK
What they've in California high schools is shortened the season, and the postseason. Given the finances involved, I can't see the NCAA tournament being cut back -- if anything, look for more tourney games.

Which would mean, I think, maybe a couple of preseason games, full conference schedule and then the tournament.

Or at least so we hope.
bearchamp
Thinking that WBB will be able to proceed when football couldn't is really a stretch. Absent revolutionary treatment options, no WBB this year.
SFCALBear72
bearchamp said:

Thinking that WBB will be able to proceed when football couldn't is really a stretch. Absent revolutionary treatment options, no WBB this year.
Not so fast. WBB has a different timeframe than football. A lot can happen medically between August 2020 and January or February 2021. I still think a shortened regular season is possible.
annarborbear
Unless something really changes, outdoor non-contact sports probably have a greater chance of being approved for play than do indoor sports.
wvitbear
If I'm not mistaken, the preseason was already a wash meaning we were only going to play conference games. which start in January. The big concern I have is what happens to volleyball. It has to share the gym with WBAll and Mens BBall. Would imagine they could ditch beach VBall and put the regular season after WBall. As the Grateful Dead said "What long strange trip this is."
smh
in the software business management's wished for milestones failed, always, numerous small slips compounding to existential disaster. beating covid's like that, bbs fall 2021 iff we get lucky.

CalWSportsFan
I'm not optimistic about any sports this year...frankly, the lack of a coordinated federal public health response will allow this pandemic to threaten for months to come. Eventually we can hope that things can be brought under control, but that will take time and a great deal of effort (and cooperation of the public). It pains me to look around the world and see many nations that have effectively dealt with this novel threat. There's a reason American citizens have become pariahs in the world...for now.

I paid for my season tickets and made my donation figuring this would happen. I will continue to support women's basketball (and other Cal sports) as much as I can. If you want a canary in the coal mine...watch the Ivy League....beginning last spring and into this summer, they've been on the leading edge on decision making based on the realities of what we face. It's not a pretty picture, but in the scheme of thing, sports are minor for the moment.

Go Bears.
puget sound cal fan
...but without football revenue, how cant the other sports be sustained?
CalWSportsFan
Well, this could help mitigate issue somewhat??

"
The Pac-12 is planning a mammoth loan program that would provide an escape hatch for cash-strapped athletic departments in the event the football season is canceled because of coronavirus, according to internal documents and conference sources...."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/05/pac-12-rescue-operation-loan-program-would-bail-out-athletic-departments-if-football-is-canceled/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.