Story on St. Mary's of Stockton star Jacki Gemelos

2,668 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ClayK
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shameless self-promotion ...

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/jacki-gemelos-the-star-who-never
bobbk
Maybe Clay lol but an awesome story
GATC
ClayK said:

Shameless self-promotion ...

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/jacki-gemelos-the-star-who-never
Glad you did. Great article. I only knew of the details of what is reported on the sports pages so great to get a more complete history.

OBear073akaSMFan
Great article! Had no idea Devanei Hampton was close to Jacki.
CalWSportsFan
Great piece. Thanks for sharing. I was one of those standing for her at Cal and crying when she suffered yet another knee injury. I'm glad she has been able to persevere through so many trials. She's an inspiration.
wbbilluminati
Saw this article posted in a FB group earlier. Great read! Emotional story

wbbilluminati
Clay, have you seen Paige Bueckers? If so how might you compare if you can her and Jacki? Seems like Paige also know for have both lots of flair, flashiness, and finesse
ClayK
I have seen Paige, and she's really good. Jacki was better, I think, because of her length and because she could score more.

For me, Jacki was a generational player, with the potential to have been another Taurasi. Bueckers, to me, has the potential to be at the level of a Courtney Vandersloot, say -- a WNBA All-Star but not the best player in the league.
wvitbear
My memories of her are slightly different. I didn't see her as the next Taursi. In fact I liked Chelsea Gray maybe better. Best player going coast to coast even to this day was Cheryl Miller. Used to glide all over the court like Jacki but was 3 inches taller.

And I never thought of Jacki as being a lights out three point shooter. The best three point shooter I saw in high school was Kelsey Plum. When Jacki played at USC, she couldn't move like she used to do, but she didn't light up the Pac 12 in three point shooting.

She won one state championship. And St. Mary's regularly won state championships without her. She didn't even make it to the finals her senior year. And I don't remember her averaging 39 points a game.

A really good player, but would you take her over Sabrina. i wouldn't.
wbbilluminati
wvitbear said:

My memories of her are slightly different. I didn't see her as the next Taursi. In fact I liked Chelsea Gray maybe better. Best player going coast to coast even to this day was Cheryl Miller. Used to glide all over the court like Jacki but was 3 inches taller.

And I never thought of Jacki as being a lights out three point shooter. The best three point shooter I saw in high school was Kelsey Plum. When Jacki played at USC, she couldn't move like she used to do, but she didn't light up the Pac 12 in three point shooting.

She won one state championship. And St. Mary's regularly won state championships without her. She didn't even make it to the finals her senior year. And I don't remember her averaging 39 points a game.

A really good player, but would you take her over Sabrina. i wouldn't.
Didn't she suffer her first ACL tear in the playoffs her senior year of HS though?

You are right about Jacki and the 3-point shooting which could have limited her from reaching the Taurasi level even if uninjured.
bobbk
Jackie is the best player I've seen in the last 20 years. I've seen a lot of games
ClayK
Sabrina and Chelsea, I think, are different kinds of players. Both would do what it takes to win, while Jacki was a scorer supreme.

She made more than 40% of her threes in high school, and maybe that wouldn't have translated into college and the pros, but there's no reason to think it wouldn't have either.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of that trio, and for Jacki to lose a career like that is so sad -- and for the game to lose a talent like that is very sad as well.

The Taurasi comparison, for what it's worth, is about her size and build, and scoring mentality, which is why DT is a good comparison. Sabrina has the same size, but isn't as fluid; and Gray is totally different in body type and the way she plays.

wvitbear
Cheryl Miller holds the record (or at least she did) with 41 points per game. Gemolos had a 30 point game. Gemelos is not among the members of the most three pointers made in a game. Goes down the top 13.
ClayK
It was a different game then, too. Not as many threes were taken, and since Jacki could penetrate and dish so effectively she tended, as I recall, to take the three so she could drive; some players drive so they can shoot threes.

Jacki did average 39 a game as a senior, against elite competition in a girls' basketball world that was much more competitive than the one Cheryl Miller -- who was fabulous -- lived in.
Ashfield63
What a story, and she made it to the WNBA! I was watching the last 15 minutes of the Mystics/Mercury game
tonight. I noticed the name on aJersey. It was Jackie Gemolos. She certainly is one deermined player.. .
ClayK
She just got signed for the rest of the season by Washington. She's struggling with her shooting, but hopefully she'll have a couple good games the rest of the way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.