SJS vs Cal preview

4,723 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UrsineMaximus
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll wait until after Sunday's game to offer my observations on most of the players. Today-I'll comment on a lack of coaching. Cal had the height to dominate inside but nobody screened their opposition off of the boards, yielding 21 offensive rebounds to a short team (only one player taller than 6-1). The Bears had no discernable offense. They brought out one or two high posts in every half court possession but worked little off of that...Due to the lack of guards and outside shooting, SJS was able to shutdown Cal to 10.3 points per quarter after the opening stanza. The Spartans were faster than the Bears and superior defensively. Entry passes into the Cal post players were routinely fumbled away. The post needs to come meet the pass instead of staying back 'n wait. The San Jose State senior post, Tyra Whitehead, stole the ball a half of a dozen times.

I thought that Cal might lose but the team looked worse than I could have ever imagined. I have no idea why Charmin Smith did not play Michelle Onyiah or Sela Heide until the second quarter nor why both received less than 8 minutes each for the game. Michelle and Sela both acquitted themselves well considering the short stints of PT that they were given in each half. The only players that displayed passion on the court were Michelle, Leilani, Evelien & Dalayah. Fatou Samb is 6-4 yet she could not get a clean shot off against shorter opposition. The majority of the time that she got a rebound or an entry pass-she mishandled the ball. Fatou kept bringing the ball down to her waist, losing any height advantage that she had. She seemed too slow to take her defender off of the dribble. She also sagged way off of Spartan star center, Tyra Whitehead, who continued to shoot her jumper. SJS had 13 steals, blocked 5 shots and tied Cal in rebounding w/ 46. The difference in the game was turnovers: Bears 23, Spartans 8.
2020.11.25 Cal vs. San Jose State Final Box (PDF) - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

If the fans were told that they were going to witness four top 100 national recruits, I bet that they could not identify that talent (except for Dalayah Daniels) on the court. The coaching staff set the team up for failure with their game plan (?) and personnel substitution pattern.
stu
Schroeder71 said:

The difference in the game was turnovers: Bears 23, Spartans 8.
The coaching staff set the team up for failure with their game plan (?) and personnel substitution pattern.
The coaching staff didn't commit 23 turnovers.
SpartanBear20
Another note about Whitehead: She is a graduate transfer from Wake Forest, and it shows in her intense defense and rebounding. She finished her undergrad in just three years and came to SJSU last year with two years eligibility remaining.

In the meantime, Cal State Bakersfield still doesn't list Sunday's game at Cal on their online schedule despite Cal showing that game online. Pending COVID-19 tests maybe?
wbbilluminati
I remember the name Tyra Whitehead from her HS days being a top 50 level recruit. Obviously I still think we ought to have won the game and it's a disappointing start but I was not expected to be without Alma and Jaz in addition to Cailyn.

Around the Pac12, rookies Amaya Oliver had 17 & 16 for USC, Sadler 12 for UW, Brink 17 & 9 for Stanford.

I actually think this year might be Stanford's best hope for a National Championship, because even though some of their stars are still young, the same is the case for South Carolina and UConn as well as Oregon.
UrsineMaximus
stu said:

IssyBear said:

Lots of good observations here, but the one other thing that stood out for me was the old adage of not having a big bringing the ball down to waist high after getting a pass or rebound. Most of our young bigs have not yet learned that lesson yet. Over and over again they would bring the ball down and then get tied up or stripped. This is fixable.
Sela kept the ball high. Fatou didn't. I'm guessing SJSU planned to test our inexperienced bigs that way.
I concur, Sela did keep it high. She must have had some good coaching in high school, her fundamentals stood out IMO.

Also the lineup you suggested of Michelle, DD and 3 guards is one I'd like to see as well.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.