Duke WBB shuts down the season

2,776 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SpartanBear20
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure how Sara thinks of this, but I assume she is in a two year grad program and can play next year

ClayK
Apparently it was the players' decision -- I expect there will be more programs that do the same.
CalWSportsFan
The Ivy League made the correct decision from the get go. I think this is the beginning of the end. Better safe than sorry.
Let's end this, wait for vaccines and have a great season next year.
https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/ncaa/d1/college-basketball-schedule-latest-covid-19-news-2020-21-season
wifeisafurd
ClayK said:

Apparently it was the players' decision -- I expect there will be more programs that do the same.
with support of their coach. Also, Coach K made a statement about the absurdity of playing in a pandemic, but the Duke men then voted to continue.
calbear80
CalWSportsFan said:

The Ivy League made the correct decision from the get go. I think this is the beginning of the end. Better safe than sorry.
Let's end this, wait for vaccines and have a great season next year.
https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/ncaa/d1/college-basketball-schedule-latest-covid-19-news-2020-21-season

PAC-12 (and BIG 10) had also made the correct decision to cancel all Fall sports (which most likely would have been extended to the Spring sports as well considering the current situation). Then, SEC decided to have the Football season ($$$ clouded their judgement), followed by ACC ($$$) and then followed by Big 12 ($$$). That (plus BIG 10's Nebraska squawking), forced the Big 12 to re-start the season. At that point, PAC-12 had little choice but to go along with the others four power five conferences and re-start the Football season. And, MBB and WBB followed in the footsteps of the Football.

Go Bears!
SFCALBear72
You can now add Virginia to the list. After having six games cancelled and no game since December 13, Virginia became the 2nd ACC team to shutdown its WBB team's season as per Raoul.
SpartanBear20
San Jose State, Cal's first opponent of the season, has also ended the season early. Believe it or not, Cal was SJSU's only non-con game because every other non-con game got canceled for COVID related reasons on both opponents' and SJSU's parts. The starting point guard (and leading scorer) tore her ACL a few weeks ago. SJSU has twice had to suspend team activities due to positive tests - as such, both this and last week's conference series were wiped out.

I wonder if Cal will follow suit and pull the plug on what's very likely a winless season, especially considering the limited roster that's been fielded.
stu
Quote:

I wonder if Cal will follow suit and pull the plug on what's very likely a winless season, especially considering the limited roster that's been fielded.
I hope we continue playing while we can do so safely. We certainly could use the practice.
calbears4ever
There's no use because they have almost half the roster depleted due to injury. It would be best to call it off now and wait till next season when they get Elsnitz, Green, and Crocker back
CalWSportsFan
calbears4ever said:

There's no use because they have almost half the roster depleted due to injury. It would be best to call it off now and wait till next season when they get Elsnitz, Green, and Crocker back

I agree. I would assume players could still practice despite not playing games. At this point playing under these circumstances is a risk in terms of further injuries and, of course, Covid.
calbears4ever
Yes, last thing we want is to lose anyone else to injury. This team has had too much for one season. I think they'll still be able to practice for next season even if they stop playing games
stu
Most of our injuries have occurred in practice. I remember only Alma being injured in a game.
SpartanBear20
Vanderbilt has now joined these D1 WBB programs in withdrawing from the season:
  • Bethune-Cookman (all sports)
  • Cal State Northridge (entire season)
  • Duke
  • Florida A&M (entire season)
  • San Jose State
  • Virginia
  • all Ivy League schools
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.