Oregon Thread

4,528 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by smh
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
18-15. Six buckets on four assists. That is a stat we haven't been seeing.
ncbears
McIntosh misses two free throws on a technical foul assessed against Oregon?
annarborbear
26-15. Looking better on offense, but not on defense. Hopefully, Heide can cut off some of Oregon's moves into the lane in the 2nd Quarter.
annarborbear
Samb still needs to learn to pass it back out when she is double-teamed. Hope that she can focus on that as a primary development need.
annarborbear
We need a shot blocker. Need more of Heide in this one.
annarborbear
Oniyah looking good and producing numbers.
annarborbear
50-19 at the half, 24-4 in the second quarter. Really disappointed in our defense. Have never seen so many open shots in the lane and from the mid-range. We seem completely unprepared for what they are doing. Need at least some half-time adjustments.
HoopDreams
0-11 from 3
stu
At the end of the 3rd 0-14 on threes. Gotta make some outside shots or the defenders will all be in the paint.

And our defense looks completely lost.
HoopDreams
sometimes are passes are either extremely ill-advised, or such bad passes that they sail above everyone's heads

IssyBear
My only objective in watching these days is to see Muca make a basket. She is shooting 11% for the season and I know is a better shooter than that. I'm rooting for her.
HoopDreams
oregon is double and sometimes triple teaming the posts

that should open up the middle for a drive, but not sure our guards and get past their defender

Olsen did it and scored (and has a nice looking free throw form)
SFCALBear72
Classy Otegon still shooting 3's up 50+ in 4th.
IssyBear
Muca made a 3!!!!
HoopDreams
IssyBear said:

My only objective in watching these days is to see Muca make a basket. She is shooting 11% for the season and I know is a better shooter than that. I'm rooting for her.
you can stop watching now. Muca hit a three

but good for her. hopefully this gets her confidence up. nothing wrong with her shot
IssyBear
SFCALBear72 said:

Classy Otegon still shooting 3's up 50+ in 4th.
Karma got Arizona today as they got beat by WSU.
HoopDreams
a perfect example of one of our major problems

our starting pg attempts a pass into the post against a TRIPLE team. It almost results in a TO as an oregon defender deflects the pass

Muca gets the loose ball and passes it directly to an oregon player for a TO
IssyBear
HoopDreams said:

IssyBear said:

you can stop watching now. Muca hit a three

but good for her. hopefully this gets her confidence up. nothing wrong with her shot
I'm gready. I want more so I'll stick around. I hope this helps with her confidence.
IssyBear
One disapointment today is our poor rebounding. Although we have tallish players, Oreagon seems taller, and their effort level was higher. Oregon out rebounded us by 12.
annarborbear
Not sure if the team and coaches really want us to watch this year. Might better to play and work on their games without an audience under these circumstances,
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

our starting pg attempts a pass into the post against a TRIPLE team. It almost results in a TO as an oregon defender deflects the pass

These young women are feeling overwhelmed in these games with a short bench and waves of opponent players coming at them. They want to help their team but often make poor decisions. Learning situation. I'll give them a pass this season as frustrating as it is as a fan. I'll expect better decision-making next season.
GOLDEN
Some talented freshmen for Oregon with only two seniors on the team.
UrsineMaximus
If I were the HC, 90% of practice time would be on the fundamentals of the passing game and the other 10% on free throws. Fogettabout set plays......just passing and FT's, that would go a long way for next year's team.

No, no I'm not kidding.
HoopDreams
SFCALBear72 said:

HoopDreams said:

These young women are feeling overwhelmed in these games with a short bench and waves of opponent players coming at them. They want to help their team but often make poor decisions. Learning situation. I'll give them a pass this season as frustrating as it is as a fan. I'll expect better decision-making next season.
I do give this team a pass. can't play the game with only 1 guard
stu
IssyBear said:

One disapointment today is our poor rebounding. Although we have tallish players, Oreagon seems taller, and their effort level was higher. Oregon out rebounded us by 12.
I think that's a result of not boxing out and similar issues which will improve with experience. We were close on the boards until late in the game so I think fatigue was a factor. Nobody from Oregon played more than 24 minutes, all of our starters played from 28 to 38 minutes.
4thGenCal
annarborbear said:

50-19 at the half, 24-4 in the second quarter. Really disappointed in our defense. Have never seen so many open shots in the lane and from the mid-range. We seem completely unprepared for what they are doing. Need at least some half-time adjustments.
Completely agree - I coached girls AAU level (3 of my girls playing D1 currently) and the "defensive"principles are inconsistent at best. Virtually no effort in transition defense, close outs very late and poor footwork fundamentals. Pinewood, Mitty and other top local HS programs locally, are far better fundamentally prepared. #1 was tough though undersized, but others showed limited scrappy play for loose balls, positioning, help side defense etc. I realize the team is short handed and depth takes its toll, but disappointed in the lack of basic basketball fundamentals. The responsibility falls on the coaching staff.
stu
UrsineMaximus said:

If I were the HC, 90% of practice time would be on the fundamentals of the passing game and the other 10% on free throws. Fogettabout set plays......just passing and FT's, that would go a long way for next year's team.

No, no I'm not kidding.
I have no inside info but I'd guess what they're actually doing in the offense portion of practice. I'd also say our defense needs as much work as our offense and is probably getting equal practice time.
HoopDreams
4thGenCal said:

annarborbear said:

Completely agree - I coached girls AAU level (3 of my girls playing D1 currently) and the "defensive"principles are inconsistent at best. Virtually no effort in transition defense, close outs very late and poor footwork fundamentals. Pinewood, Mitty and other top local HS programs locally, are far better fundamentally prepared. #1 was tough though undersized, but others showed limited scrappy play for loose balls, positioning, help side defense etc. I realize the team is short handed and depth takes its toll, but disappointed in the lack of basic basketball fundamentals. The responsibility falls on the coaching staff.
agree with this. very late closeouts and poor overall team defense understanding and discipline.

still, the most frustrating thing about this team is the turnovers. I understand there is going to be turnovers, but the type we are having are just terrible
Schroeder71
Cal women's bball is unwatchable. Ducks 100, Bears 41. Dalayah Daniels was shutout in the 2nd half. Michelle Onyiah and Evelien Lutje-Schipholt were really the only Cal players that could compete. Once again, PG Leilani McIntosh, was shutout and turned the ball over a half dozen times vs only a single assist. I have changed my mind about her-I think that Charmin Smith needs an upgrade there, too. Why did Sela Heide get to play one minute in each half? Ridiculous.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

Cal women's bball is unwatchable. Ducks 100, Bears 41. Dalayah Daniels was shutout in the 2nd half. Michelle Onyiah and Evelien Lutje-Schipholt were really the only Cal players that could compete. Once again, PG Leilani McIntosh, was shutout and turned the ball over a half dozen times vs only a single assist. I have changed my mind about her-I think that Charmin Smith needs an upgrade there, too. Why did Sela Heide get to play one minute in each half? Ridiculous.
I don't think you can blame any player this season. team is just too unbalanced and young. Our starting line up is 3 freshmen and 2 sophs. Our only depth is 3 freshmen. We have 1 junior and 1 senior, both walk-ons

how can you run an offense with no 3 point shooters, so little ball handling, and extreme youth?

Heide is coming off an injury or illness
Schroeder71
The blame has to go on the coaching staff as others have stated as well as myself previously. How can you make excuses for how unbalanced the team is and how poor the fundamentals are? The senior walk-on is now a starter who played approximately 30 minutes. Oregon had 26 assists and only 5 turnovers despite the fact that they played 11 players double-digit minutes. It could have been a lot worse.
https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020-21/oregon/boxscore/28825
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

The blame has to go on the coaching staff as others have stated as well as myself previously. How can you make excuses for how unbalanced the team is and how poor the fundamentals are?
it's an extreme situation. I do question why the coaches insist on trying to get the ball into the post as seemly the only priority regardless of the defense is playing us

I would think the middle will be open when defenses pack the paint, and so having a guard drive into the paint and shoot a midrange jumper or floater, or pass when the defense reacts should be mixed in at least

so I'm not giving the coaching staff a complete pass

stu
Quote:

I do question why the coaches insist on trying to get the ball into the post as seemly the only priority regardless of the defense is playing us
Again I'm just guessing - this might be post practice in game situations we hope will pay off next season. Guard practice might not be all that productive when most of your guards are out.
smh
congrats to ducks scoring their 100th point with a minute go. though to be fair they used subs, lots:
https://calbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2020-21/oregon/boxscore/28825

pdf-format..
https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/sidearm.sites/calberk.sidearmsports.com/stats/wbball/2020/pdf/20210110050835-1797154.pdf

nine Bears played, woo hoo
starters Onyiah (31m), Lutje(34m), Daniels(36), Olson(29), McIntosh(38)
subs Samb(15), Muca(14), Heide(2), Richey(1)
# go bears
Ashfield63
stu said:

Quote:

I do question why the coaches insist on trying to get the ball into the post as seemly the only priority regardless of the defense is playing us
Again I'm just guessing - this might be post practice in game situations we hope will pay off next season. Guard practice might not be all that productive when most of your guards are out.

What a very difficult situation for this team.......there are no guards to shoot the three, drive to the basket, etc., etc.....There aren't players to substitute into the game. The players must get wiped out by halftime. The Bears have fortitude to suit up for each game, and play the best they can without a full team......I cannot fault any of the players........Hopefully, next season, Alma, Jazzy, and Cailyn can light it up! If they do, it's a new ballgame. Also, there will be two very good guards added to the roster. Having a Grad-Transfer forward will add to the mix. I watched Arizona play at Washington State today. Wash. St won in overtime! Wow, what a conference......GoBears.....

GGV
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.