Cal Softball on right now 2/20/21

3,438 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CalFanatic
BearinOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Against Sac State

Also on Pluto TV.
BearinOC
Click on Softball scroll down and choose watch cal.

Coach is not available due to covid protocol. Coached by Asst Coach.
BearinOC
Halajian looks real good. Accurate and fast. Big girl. Got on base at 1st collegiate at bat. Hard hit grounder to 5-6 hole. After one inning I can see why she started over everyone else.
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

Halajian looks real good. Accurate and fast. Big girl. Got on base at 1st collegiate at bat. Hard hit grounder to 5-6 hole. After one inning I can see why she started over everyone else.
She has all of the tools to be very successful, All-Conference All-American, etc. Just depends on how hard she wants to work. A tale as old as time.
CyBear77
OK!!! 3 runs in the bottom of the seventh to come back and beat St.Marys...Nice rally...
Bear8995
Nice comeback!
BearinOC
Nice come from behind win! SM beat Sac State and we beat them to in a walk off. This team has grit.

7th inning: Sparacino, K singled to left center, RBI (1-0 B); Zamora, M. advanced to second; Zobac, K. advanced to third; Halajian, S. scored.

Congrats, Lady Bears!
bearchamp
Lady Bears go to Baylor. Our women are just Bears.
CalWSportsFan
bearchamp said:

. This ^
BearinOC
bearchamp said:

Whatever
CalFanatic
2-1 Stanford in the 6th. Halajian looks great... but I have zero idea what our strategy is offensively. Excited to see the progress of this team at the plate.
CalFanatic
Halajian ties it up in the 6th with a single through the right side! 2-2
CalFanatic
Woof. Some really poor base running decisions squander a 2nd and 3rd no outs situation for the bears.
CalFanatic
Call falls to Stanford 3-2. Bummer!
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Woof. Some really poor base running decisions squander a 2nd and 3rd no outs situation for the bears.
Really poor running. Could not have done any poorer if one tried. SMH
Schroeder71
Coaching staff doesn't seem to know personnel, yet. Also, speedy pinch runner put in for go-ahead run at second instead of tying runner at third. The slow runner at third was thrown out by 10 feet at home but the ball got away from the Stanford catcher for the tying run. The subsequent lefty slap hitter lined the ball back off of the pitcher but the runner from third tried to score and was caught in a run-down and tagged out. Cal's pitcher was the runner on second base and she advanced w/in a couple feet of third base during the run-down. She was easily thrown out retreating to second...Infield continues to make errors every game. Cal Baptist out hit Cal 11-6.

CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Coaching staff doesn't seem to know personnel, yet. Also, speedy pinch runner put in for go-ahead run at second instead of tying runner at third. The slow runner at third was thrown out by 10 feet at home but the ball got away from the Stanford catcher for the tying run. The subsequent lefty slap hitter lined the ball back off of the pitcher but the runner from third tried to score and was caught in a run-down and tagged out. Cal's pitcher was the runner on second base and she advanced w/in a couple feet of third base during the run-down. She was easily thrown out retreating to second...Infield continues to make errors every game. Cal Baptist out hit Cal 11-6.

It will take some time. I had to remind myself they just started practicing last month. I think Coach Spencer might also still be on Covid quarantine. I saw Cuico and Mueller... but no Spencer yesterday on the video.
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Schroeder71 said:

It will take some time. I had to remind myself they just started practicing last month. I think Coach Spencer might also still be on Covid quarantine. I saw Cuico and Mueller... but no Spencer yesterday on the video.
I was wondering about this also. Why is it that we cannot control Covid while other programs can? Also, hitting is about pitching or there lack of. That just tells me the Texas transfer either had a bad day, isn't good or umpiring sucked. CBU is not powerhouse and they moved to D1 not too long ago. I did see questionable calls yesterday against Stanfurd by the Plate Umpire and Base Judge. But, it's home cooking since we are on their field though.
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

CalFanatic said:

Schroeder71 said:

I was wondering about this also. Why is it that we cannot control Covid while other programs can? Also, hitting is about pitching or there lack of. That just tells me the Texas transfer either had a bad day, isn't good or umpiring sucked. CBU is not powerhouse and they moved to D1 not too long ago. I did see questionable calls yesterday against Stanfurd by the Plate Umpire and Base Judge. But, it's home cooking since we are on their field though.
I don't know the specifics about potential exposure... but I will assume a case of bad luck before poor judgment (until proven otherwise). This has happened to numerous D1 athletic programs this year.
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

BearinOC said:

CalFanatic said:

Schroeder71 said:

I don't know the specifics about potential exposure... but I will assume a case of bad luck before poor judgment (until proven otherwise). This has happened to numerous D1 athletic programs this year.
Let's hope it's a case of bad luck over judgement. I see that Stanford has their own network video, do we have something equivalent or is it because they are Stanfurd and have the money? Legit question.
BearinOC
While we beat CBU, we have to do a better job of batting. We were batting 267 as of last night. This number is pretty atrocious against subpar pitching we've seen thus far. Even Furds were batting 320. The good news is that Sonya kept the Furds from batting more than 220.

I feel like starting Sonya would not be good for this afternoon game since they got her rhythm down. Aside from her, Romero is the other option. While her ERA is 2 she does have the highest Whip. Looking forward to the contest at 5:30. See you there.
CalFanatic
Yeah, not all that impressed so far offensively BUT it is very early. Also, Bishop, Holland and Alley still have not seen any action at the plate. I expected Bishop and Holland to be starters.
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Yeah, not all that impressed so far offensively BUT it is very early. Also, Bishop, Holland and Alley still have not seen any action at the plate. I expected Bishop and Holland to be starters.
heck I am impressed with Archer so far. Big physical girl. Fast. I cant tell if there are much movement on an iphone but looks like good control of the ball and fast.
calbears4ever
Cal volleyball on the other hand is doing very well with handling COVID, with only one player that previously went on protocol that I'm aware of (Desa). But yeah, everyone else has to step up their game of being proactive about controlling it on their teams
HoopDreams
Cal beats Stanford 5-3

BearinOC
I always love to see a pitcher finish out a game. We hit well today and limited the bonehead plays. Though Coelho on the 7th inning should have known better than to dive for that ball. That really stunk it up. It was reminiscent of Syd'Quan Thompson going for the interception on an island as a freshman.
HoopDreams
BearinOC said:

I always love to see a pitcher finish out a game. We hit well today and limited the bonehead plays. Though Coelho on the 7th inning should have known better than to dive for that ball. That really stunk it up. It was reminiscent of Syd'Quan Thompson going for the interception on an island as a freshman.
there was also the error (not sure it was scored as an error) where we bobbled the ball at first and didn't get to the base on time. that meant stanford scored two instead of one on that hit in the 7th
CalFanatic
Archer was one of the top recruits on the east coast and had offers from Washington and Minnesota...I thought she was #1 from day 1! Glad to see her shine!
CalFanatic
And finally cleared from covid protocols!
CalFanatic
Am I hallucinating or does this say Archer pitched against CBU? She didn't...correct? I swear Stanford was the first time she's seen action.

https://calbears.com/sports/softball/stats?path=softball
CalFanatic
Yeah, it looks like Romer's statistics for the game got uploaded to Archer's.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.