CalWTennis - Pac12 Champions

2,697 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Schroeder71
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Against regular season champion UCLA - who was undefeated in the regular season and had beaten Cal 7-0 recently - Cal lost the double points - gets ahead in 4 of first 6 matches in the first set, but it comes down to senior captain Rosenqvist bringing it home - and Cal wins 4-2!
GATC
That's great. Thanks for the info
Bear8995
Great win! Go Bears!!
HoopDreams
Congrats Cal tennis!

I've always liked women's tennis more than men's because the tension gets so heavy. I was at the end of my seat watching the matches

Cal beat Stanford and then UCLA to win the championship!

OBear073akaSMFan
That's fantastic. Bears have been improving throughout the season. This guarantees a NCAA slot!
OBear073akaSMFan
ncbears said:

Against regular season champion UCLA - who was undefeated in the regular season and had beaten Cal 7-0 recently - Cal lost the double points - gets ahead in 4 of first 6 matches in the first set, but it comes down to senior captain Rosenqvist bringing it home - and Cal wins 4-2!
In the interview with Rosenqvist she announced she would be returning to Cal for another year! Wonder if Anna Bright will return too!

Sorry don't know how to link the interview.
LodeBear
great job Cal. these young women deserved to win the PAC 12 championship. was watching parts of live feed when it was tied 2 to 2. was exciting to watch, except i was also seeing patients. this gives Cal automatic entry and will certainly increase their poll standings as they beat stanfurd and UCLA. The barnes center in san diego is a great place to play. just played there one week ago at the nationals NTRP doubles over 50 tournament. my partner and I did real well. winning consolation flight. no trophy but alot of fun and alot of matches 6. we actually played on the courts the cal team played on yesterday and today. So happy for Cal. still donate to them and will continue to do so. if julia comes back and haley plays as well as she has been recently they will be strong again. dont know if anna will be back. Cal getting one elite player ranked no.4 in the USA. from fresno.jessica alsola. standford will be tough to beat. they have the # 1 class with 3 outstanding elite players in the USA. UCLA is # 3 or #4 with 3 outstanding players as well. ASU is also in the top 10 too. Cal was like #25, but they tend to recruit well outside of the US. so who knows who else they will get. i believe they have 4 scholarship spots. but if julia stays then 3 and if anna stays then 2. they have recuited only two.so far. one from fresno (alsola) and one from piedmont ( thiel?) so maybe anna and julia go another year. Go Cal at the NCAA tournament. UCLA will still be seeded ahead of Cal most likely.
OBear073akaSMFan
Looks like there will be an abbreviated replay of match at 2am (PST) Tuesday.
Schroeder71
Cal Wins Pac-12 Tennis Championship - University of California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Super impressive victory earned by the Cal women over UCLA for the Pac 12 crown! Bears bounce the Bruins.
GO BEARS!
coachdeke
LodeBear said:

great job Cal. these young women deserved to win the PAC 12 championship. was watching parts of live feed when it was tied 2 to 2. was exciting to watch, except i was also seeing patients. this gives Cal automatic entry and will certainly increase their poll standings as they beat stanfurd and UCLA. The barnes center in san diego is a great place to play. just played there one week ago at the nationals NTRP doubles over 50 tournament. my partner and I did real well. winning consolation flight. no trophy but alot of fun and alot of matches 6. we actually played on the courts the cal team played on yesterday and today. So happy for Cal. still donate to them and will continue to do so. if julia comes back and haley plays as well as she has been recently they will be strong again. dont know if anna will be back. Cal getting one elite player ranked no.4 in the USA. from fresno.jessica alsola. standford will be tough to beat. they have the # 1 class with 3 outstanding elite players in the USA. UCLA is # 3 or #4 with 3 outstanding players as well. ASU is also in the top 10 too. Cal was like #25, but they tend to recruit well outside of the US. so who knows who else they will get. i believe they have 4 scholarship spots. but if julia stays then 3 and if anna stays then 2. they have recuited only two.so far. one from fresno (alsola) and one from piedmont ( thiel?) so maybe anna and julia go another year. Go Cal at the NCAA tournament. UCLA will still be seeded ahead of Cal most likely.

ASU is not top ten, #33 the Kat I checked while Csl was #20, I believe.
OBear073akaSMFan
Yes Makenna Thiel from Piedmont looks to committed to CAL.
LodeBear
according to tennis recruiting.net. stanford is #1 UCLA is #4 ASU is #5 USC is # 20 and Cal is received votes and # 31 or # 32. not sure why Cal is so low. just updated individual rankings and jessica is # 3 nationally and makenna is # 33. ASU has 3 foreign players and local player from orinda. kind of like Cal last year when they were ranked # 3 with Bui , hanna V.M. and cami brown.
dimitrig

Nice!

Go Bears!

Ccajon2
I love the international flavor of the roster-reminded me of a Tour I took of 10 Euro capitals in 25 days. (Exhausting).
Schroeder71
https://calbears.com/news/2021/5/6/womens-tennis-cal-hosts-sjsu-in-ncaa-regional-friday.aspx

Cal (#16 seed) hosts a four team regional beginning Friday and finishing on Saturday. The Bears face the Spartans (15-1) from San Jose State. They have a nine person squad make up of 8 foreign players. I then checked Cal's roster make-up and we also have a majority of foreign players. SJS captured the Mountain West
title over San Diego State so hopefully Cal will give 'em some respect and be ready for a battle...Kentucky & Syracuse are in the other semi-final. GO BEARS!
2020-21 Women's Tennis Roster - SJSU Athletics (sjsuspartans.com)
71Bear
Schroeder71 said:

https://calbears.com/news/2021/5/6/womens-tennis-cal-hosts-sjsu-in-ncaa-regional-friday.aspx

Cal (#16 seed) hosts a four team regional beginning Friday and finishing on Saturday. The Bears face the Spartans (15-1) from San Jose State. They have a nine person squad make up of 8 foreign players. I then checked Cal's roster make-up and we also have a majority of foreign players. SJS captured the Mountain West
title over San Diego State so hopefully Cal will give 'em some respect and be ready for a battle...Kentucky & Syracuse are in the other semi-final. GO BEARS!
2020-21 Women's Tennis Roster - SJSU Athletics (sjsuspartans.com)
They are not foreign players. They are international players.....
Schroeder71
Thank you for the correction, 71Bear! It's good to hear from you. I guess that I'm not much of a globalist.

How come Cal's top rated tennis player, Haley Giavara, DNP in either the doubles or singles against San Jose State? The Bears will have difficulty going far if they have to use frosh, Cami Brown, in her place. It appears as if Cal prevailed over SJS, 4-0. The Bears will face the Kentucky Wildcats tomorrow.
https://ukathletics.com/news/2021/5/7/womens-tennis-fiona-arrese-secures-win-for-wildcats-in-ncaa-opener.aspx
ncbears
Cal defeats SJSU and Kentucky. Cal's reward: a match with #1 seed Carolina in Orlando. Go Bears!
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Both "international" and "foreign" are accurate and acceptable words in this context. Just because one or a few of several definitions of a word can sometimes have negative connotations (perhaps some inelegant uses of definitions #9 to #12 of "foreign" below), that doesn't condemn the use of that word in other senses. Canceling (a.k.a. BLACKLISTING) words in this manner amputates & impoverishes the richness of human language, and can embitter human communication by policing the motives and character of speakers.

FOREIGN
Quote:

adjective

1. of, relating to, or derived from another country or nation; not native: foreign cars.

2. of or relating to contact or dealings with other countries; connected with foreign affairs.

3. external to one's own country or nation: a foreign country.

4. carried on abroad, or with other countries: foreign trade.

5. belonging to or coming from another district, province, etc.

6. located outside a specific district, province, etc.

7. Law.
a. of or relating to law outside of local jurisdiction.
b. of or relating to another jurisdiction, as of another nation or state.

8. belonging to or proceeding from other persons or things: a statement supported by foreign testimony.

9. not belonging to the place or body where found: foreign matter in a chemical mixture.

10. not related to or connected with the thing under consideration: foreign to our discussion.

11. alien in character; irrelevant or inappropriate; remote.

12. strange or unfamiliar.

INTERNATIONAL
Quote:

adjective

1. between or among nations; involving two or more nations: international trade.

2. of or relating to two or more nations or their citizens: a matter of international concern.

3. pertaining to the relations between nations: international law.

4. having members or activities in several nations: an international organization.

5. transcending national boundaries or viewpoints: an international benefit; an international reputation.
Schroeder71
I visited all six courts during yesterday's tight victory over Kentucky. Cal captured courts #4, #5 & #6 but could not dominate on the top three courts. Giavara & Rosenquist were outplayed clearly on courts #1 + #2. Ivanova was in an absolute even battle on court #3. Thank goodness that the Bears grabbed the doubles point plus Jada Bui won my heart over the last two days. I feel that she should not be slated as the #4 singles player. In both the SJS & Kentucky matches she ultimately won, she was dominated in the first set by her respective opponent. For example, she lost the initial set to Kentucky, 6-2, but rebounded to reverse things in the second set 6-1. Bui gave 110% effort to move Cal's team on to the final 16. By slotting Bui #4, it seemed to make #5 (Viller Moelller) & #6 (Bright) easy victories for the Bears.

Cal needs much stronger efforts in the top three singles matches to even make things competitive against undefeated, #1 ranked UNC in Orlando, Florida. GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.