2021 U.S. OLYMPIC TRIALS - *SWIMMING*

13,868 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Dubs!!!!! Roll on you Bears!!!

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Abbey Weitzeil Wins Women's 100 Free, Now the Veteran on Relay With Brown, Smoliga, Hinds

"I was nervous. Taming your nerves is definitely person by person in how you do that. This is the most nerve wracking the meet I have ever been to," Weitzeil said. "It is a different meet. Being more confident and self doubt in your head and I have learned to get past the negative thoughts."

Weitzeil said she was as eager to see who else made the team as celebrating her own spot, including Brown. The two of them had some stunning races against each other representing Cal and Tennessee, respectively, with each setting NCAA and American records in other events.

"Everyone races in college and it comes full circle when you race against each other for spots on Team USA," Weitzeil said.

It is the second Olympic team for Weitzeil and Smoliga, while Brown and Hinds make their first team.

The reigning Olympic gold medalist and American record holder in this event, Simone Manuel, missed the final, finishing ninth. She discussed her battle with over training syndrome.

"I am very proud of Simone. I feel personally that we have big shoes to fill because she is an amazing competitor and huge part of Team USA," Weitzeil said.

----------

• UPDATES =>

----------

Race Video & Post-Race Interview

----------

Post-Race Press Conference

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

In keeping with the Cal Women sprint tradition, looks like we have 5 past/present/future Golden Bears entered in the *50m Free* prelims tomorrow:

#4 seed Abbey Weitzeil
#12 Madison Kennedy
#39 McKenna Stone
#50 Amy Bilquist
#51 Izzy Ivey

#24 Katie McLaughlin's listed on the psych sheet for this event, but is absent from the Women's 50m Freestyle - Start List (having already earned her ticket to Tokyo via the *4 x 200m Free*)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

In keeping with the Cal Women sprint tradition, looks like we have 5 past/present/future Golden Bears entered in the *50m Free* prelims tomorrow:

That 25.58 represents Izzy's fastest in this event since her PB of 25.21 @ 2016 Junior Pan Pacs.

---------

Yay Adrian!

Alexy's lifetime best here positions him as the 1st reserve for semis, well done

LegoBear
Awesome Go Bears!

Dubs!!!!! Roll on you Bears!!!

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Shields -> Tokyo!

-----------

-----------

Tom Shields Builds From Suicide Attempt to Heroic Advocacy and Another Olympic Team

by DAVID RIEDER

Five years ago, Tom Shields qualified for his first Olympic team, finishing second behind Michael Phelps in both the 100 and 200 fly at Olympic Trials. He went on to earn a gold medal as a prelims relay at the Rio Games. The years following that career accomplishment were among the most difficult of his life as Shields struggled with depression and insomnia from putting too much pressure on himself and his swimming. He assumed he needed to be successful in swimming to support himself and his wife.

In late 2018, Shields bottomed out. He stayed awake for three days. He attempted suicide. He only survived thanks to his wife, Gianna.

Shields only told the world about his struggles with depression in late 2019, with hopes of relieving the stigma of mental health, so that people who were struggling might be more willing to come forward and ask for help.

Make no mistake, Shields was a hero. If his willingness to be vulnerable helped even one person, it was obviously worth it. But at the same time, he was still swimming, flying under the radar somewhat. But in Omaha, Shields would earn his way back to the highest level of the sport - with a completely different perspective than when he qualified in a more expected result in 2016.

Saturday night, as Caeleb Dressel took a run at his own world record in the men's 100 butterfly, Shields took second, more than four tenths ahead of third-place finisher Luca Urlando. Conversations about the second spot in the 100 fly prior to the meet had been on Michael Andrew and Maxime Rooney, swimmers with 50-second swims to their credit in the relatively recent past. Not Shields.

But for the second time, Shields successfully navigated the crusher that is the Omaha meet. It's not easy to come into a meet knowing that much of your swimming legacy depends on the results from one race. Miss out, and that can be devastating for the swimmers, as we've seen on so many occasions this week in Omaha. Get the job done, and there's elation and the highest of highs, but Shields knows better than anyone that the resulting post-Olympics downer can be just as tough to pull out of. As he pointed out, at Trials, opportunities can be won or lost and every action can have massive implications in a swimmer's future.

"Trials is hard, man. We train so much for mind, not result. But it's really hard here. It's not like Pac-12s or NCAAs. Trials meets are very traumatizing. And people talk about the mental health side of this, and I've started to talk about it a little more, and going through this last Trials, it's like man, maybe it's the Games experience, because there's that Olympic hangover, people fall on hard times. I know I did myself," Shields said.

"But I don't think it's exclusive to the people that make the team. It's the Trials experience and this whole value system. It's hard to manage. I was thinking about that a lot this week. I tried my hardest today, just go have my swim, focus on what I need to focus on, but it's really hard. And this is my fourth time doing it."

Comparing this meet to his 2016 Trials experience, Shields recalled entering the 100 fly being freaked out about having already qualified for the 200 fly in Rio and having to swim that event at the Games. But this time, he knows who he is at a swimmer, and he's comfortable as that swimmer. If he never becomes an all-time great swimmer, that's OK. He's fully comfortable living in the moment and enjoying the experience he has earned.

"I'd love to think I could go really fast," Shields said. "I still believe I can, but I'm 29. If I were going to be a top, top end earner in the sport, I probably would be by now. So not much is going to change. So I'm more settled in myself and I know what I want to do, and I want to put out good swims and just, 19 or 20 more 100s. I think I can go 50-point. I've never done it. But that's what I'm focused on."

From his lowest point two and a half years ago until now, Shields has grown, and he has advocated for important discussions about mental health, discussions that transcend what he or any swimmer could ever accomplish in the pool. That steadiness gave him a foundation upon which he could continue building his swimming career, and now, he has another Olympics to show for it.

-----------

-----------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Stadden laying down the 2nd fastest *200m Back* swim of her career to date (Isa's personal best = 2:07.28, achieved a month ago).

Isabelle was right behind Regan Smith in the front half of the race, who surprisingly finished 3rd. Furdette Smith is the current world record holder, having blazed a stunning 2:03.35 @ 2019 Worlds.

Props also to Thleen for giving it her all in the face of adversity (foot & ankle injury) - Baker's lifetime best = 2:06.14 from 2018 Pan Pacs

---------

Race video:

---------

Rhyan White, Phoebe Bacon Follow in Footsteps of Idols to Make Olympic Team in 200 Backstroke

Regan Smith played to her strengths on the front half, turning at 1:01.01 at the halfway point, but her lead was small - Isabelle Stadden was second at 1:01.06 while Bacon was third (1:01.26) and White (1:01.64) was fourth. Smith was off her world record pace of 1:00.37 and on the fifth 25, the world record holder looked vulnerable as Stadden, Bacon and White were not letting her get away.

At the 2019 Worlds en route to her world record, Smith was 31-mids on her last three 50s, and at the 150, although she still had the lead at 1:33.56, split a 32.55.

White had the fastest split in the field with a 32.13 and was second at 1:33.77. Bacon was also within striking distance in third at 1:33.79, splitting a 32.53, and Stadden was not out of it in lane 1 at 1:33.92.

At the finish, such is the nature of this Olympic Trials, a medal contender for Tokyo was left off the team in third place. White, age 21, and Bacon, age 18, are on their first Olympic team.

Stadden finished fourth at 2:07.86 while Kathleen Baker, who sustained an injury close to the Trials, finished in fifth at 2:08.78.

When Ledecky won the 800 free gold medal in 2012 at age 15 (while coached by Yuri Suguiyama, who now coaches Bacon at the University of Wisconsin), Bacon's eyes were opened up to maybe that could be her some day.

https://instagr.am/p/CQV4cJFAYqT
Rhyan White remembered meeting 2012 Olympic champion Missy Franklin at a sectionals meet in Mt. Hood as a 15-year-old in 2015. At the time, Franklin was an established member of the United States national team, then the world record holder and reigning Olympic champ in the 200 back. White told Franklin one day she would be going to the Olympics, to which her friends still remember all these years later.

"But looking back, I would just say, she handled it well, she said, 'OK, yeah, you should do that!'" White said.

---------

2021 World Rankings:

2:04.28 | Kaylee McKeown | AUS
2:05.56 | Margherita Panziera | ITA
2:05.73 | Rhyan White | USA
2:06.38 | Emily Seebohm | AUS
2:06.46 | Phoebe Bacon | USA
2:06.79 | Regan Smith | USA
2:07.28 | Isabelle Stadden | USA
2:07.54 | Kathleen Baker | USA
2:07.60 | Kylie Masse | CAN
2:07.74 | Cassie Wild | GBR
2:07.86 | Minna Atherton | AUS
2:07.87 | Katalin Burian | HUN

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

---------

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Crikey, a lifetime best of 24.27 propels Abbey to the #1 seed spot for tomorrow's *50m Free* final!

Weitzeil's previous best was a 24.28 when she won @ 2016 Trials.

----------

• UPDATE =>

U.S. Olympic Trials: Abbey Weitzeil Sets Best Time, Simone Manuel Moves on in 50 Free

The top seed is Manuel's running mate in both events in Rio, Abbey Weitzeil. The 100 free champ turned in another strong swim by going 24.27 to win the second semifinal and nab the top seed. It's a personal best for the Cal swimmer, who was enthused by the time. It slots in 12th in the world this season.

"I am super excited," she said. "I haven't gone a best time in that event since 2016. I am pretty pumped and I wasn't expecting that tonight."

Women's 50 Free Finalists

1. Abbey Weitzeil, 24.27
2. Torri Huske, 24.45
3. Simone Manuel, 24.50
tedbear

Stadden laying down the 2nd fastest *200m Back* swim of her career to date (Isa's personal best = 2:07.28, achieved a month ago)

Props also to Thleen for giving it her all in the face of adversity (foot & ankle injury) - Baker's lifetime best = 2:06.14 from 2018 Pan Pacs

So close for Isa, but she will be back in three years.
OBear073akaSMFan
tedbear said:

Stadden laying down the 2nd fastest *200m Back* swim of her career to date (Isa's personal best = 2:07.28, achieved a month ago)

So close for Isa, but she will be back in three years.
Anyone knows if Simone Manuel makes the Olympic team in the 50 fr could she be picked to swim a leg on any of the relay teams. Thought I remembered our Natalie Coughlin made the Olympics in the backstrokes but swum a leg in one of the relays. Think with all of her mental issue she is still a feared swimmer!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

---------

'Men Between Worlds': End of Unprecedented Era of Adrian, Ervin, Lochte, Grevers, Jones and Phelps

Anthony Ervin, Nathan Adrian and Cullen Jones. Photo Courtesy: Peter H. Bick

---------

Weitzeil Earns Second Individual Event For Tokyo

Golden Bear Alum Takes Second In 50 Free At U.S. Olympic Trials

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Katie McLaughlin

---------

---------

2020 U.S. Olympic Team Roster

bearister
US swimmer Michael Andrew's decision not to get vaccinated is selfish

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/christinebrennan/2021/07/09/us-swimmers-decision-not-get-vaccinated-before-olympics-selfish/7913271002/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.