USA softball team 4-0 but...

1,916 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 59bear
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...they are struggling offensively. Thank goodness the USA pitchers (Monica Abbott and Cat Osterman have been lights out. The last win over Australia was 2-1 in 8 innings. Aust took the lead in the 8th but USA fortunately scored 2 runs in the bottom half to eek out another win. I believe the USA has not hit a single HR yet in the tournament. Can't believe we barely beat out teams from Italy and Mexico though I believe many had players that played college ball in the USA. Are the other teams catching up with the USA like in basketball? It will be a struggle when we play Japan.
59bear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

...they are struggling offensively. Thank goodness the USA pitchers (Monica Abbott and Cat Osterman have been lights out. The last win over Australia was 2-1 in 8 innings. Aust took the lead in the 8th but USA fortunately scored 2 runs in the bottom half to eek out another win. I believe the USA has not hit a single HR yet in the tournament. Can't believe we barely beat out teams from Italy and Mexico though I believe many had players that played college ball in the USA. Are the other teams catching up with the USA like in basketball? It will be a struggle when we play Japan.
I think it's more a case of this team not having a lot of offensive firepower. It seems to have been constructed to play small ball with only a few legitimate power threats. Thankfully, McCleney has been surreal so far and Amanda Chidester has been clutch.
wifeisafurd
Abbot is a local (Salinas) that chose not to go to Cal and has been dominant in college and beyond. If Abbot is not the best softball thrower in the world, then Osterman is. Good pitching beats good hitting. Val, Garcia, McCleary and Stewart all have power, but the pitching has been dominant.

The Japanese have a good pitcher and power. Interesting match-up since the pitchers for both squads (other than Garcia who can also pitch) are getting on in age. Osterman had retired and even become at coach at one point.
OBear073akaSMFan
Both Abbott 36 yo and Osterman even older most likely will not be around in 2024. Who will be the future USA pitching stars ? Garcia?
wifeisafurd
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Both Abbott 36 yo and Osterman even older most likely will not be around in 2024. Who will be the future USA pitching stars ? Garcia?
Garcia, teammate Fariamao, and perhaps May from Oklahoma (projecting here).
philbert
I don't believe softball is scheduled to be an event in 2024. They brought it back in 2020 because of its popularity in Japan. They are hoping it will be back in 2028 in LA.
wifeisafurd
us prevails over Japan with walk off homer. US will be home team in Gold Medal game as a result.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Quote:

...Japan took a 1-0 lead when Saki Yamazaki scored on a passed ball in the first inning.

It appeared as if that would be enough with Yamato Fujita on the mound. She had no trouble with the United States hitters through five innings, but Valerie Arioto's RBI single in the sixth tied the game and set the stage for the walk-off.
Quote:

In a startling stat, the United States did not record a hit until the sixth inning facing Japan's third-string pitcher. In the gold-medal game, they will face the host nation's 39-year-old ace, Yukiko Ueno.

Offense has been the weakness for Team USA in round-robin play; the Americans scored nine runs on 27 hits with just the one home run by Stewart. By contrast, Japan scored 18 runs on 26 hits and six home runs.

The gold-medal game will be a rematch of the 2008 Beijing gold-medal game in which Japan was victorious, 3-1.

The two softball powerhouses are the only two teams to have captured Olympic gold. The rivals have met in each of the last seven World Baseball Softball Confederation world championships; Team USA has taken five of them.

Bear_claw
It is an embarrassment that softball had to make the concession to play on the baseball field with the funky configuration, when Japan has some of the best softball facilities. Added to that, the no fans policy, and it really
projects the optics of a second rate sport. That's terrible for the players, who deserve better. Just my perspective.
philbert
ugly, but better than no softball.

https://www.yardbarker.com/olympics/articles/softball_games_forced_to_be_played_on_baseball_field_at_tokyo_olympics/s1_127_35426012

All around, it looks very cheap, especially considering this is supposed to be the highest level of softball in the world. There is no doubt that if treated properly, softball should have its own venue, tailored specifically to its dimensions rather than built within a baseball field.
So what's going on? Well, as you probably guessed, this is a cost-saving measure. NBC Sports' softball announcers said that baseball and softball agreed to share the venue as part of an effort to get back into the Olympics. This is the first year softball and baseball are back in the Olympics since 2008.
Fans who enjoy softball are likely miffed over the shared stadium, but probably recognize that is better than not having the sport in the Olympics at all. Baseball and softball will not be played at the Olympics in 2024. They decided it was more important to have break dancing and wall climbing.

59bear
Bear_claw said:

It is an embarrassment that softball had to make the concession to play on the baseball field with the funky configuration, when Japan has some of the best softball facilities. Added to that, the no fans policy, and it really
projects the optics of a second rate sport. That's terrible for the players, who deserve better. Just my perspective.
World wide it's not even a second rate sport. Softball's Olympic problem is that, like American football, it is played in very few countries around the world and only 4 (US, Japan, Australia, Canada) produce significant numbers of quality players.
dimitrig
59bear said:

Bear_claw said:

World wide it's not even a second rate sport. Softball's Olympic problem is that, like American football, it is played in very few countries around the world and only 4 (US, Japan, Australia, Canada) produce significant numbers of quality players.

Why is it that so many countries play baseball but not softball?

calbears4ever
Sexism
59bear
dimitrig said:

59bear said:

Bear_claw said:

Why is it that so many countries play baseball but not softball?

Good question. Maybe because there hasn't been a worldwide youth option like Little League, maybe that true pro opportunity only exists in Japan. I wouldn't discount sexism given that much of baseball's greatest popularity is in the macho cultures of Mexico, Venezuela and the Caribbean.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.