M Golf adds top transfer from ASU!

1,686 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeewan Park
* #5 ajga ranking
* 2nd team All-American
* Korean nat team.
* Two years elig.
Another outstanding asian golfer joins Cal.
coachdeke
Ccajon2 said:

Jeewan Park
* #5 ajga ranking
* 2nd team All-American
* Korean nat team.
* Two years elig.

He wasn't good enough to crack ASU's top six. If Cal wants to return to a top program, they'll need to recruit a more diverse roster, like Desimone did.
OBear073akaSMFan
coachdeke said:

Ccajon2 said:

Jeewan Park
* #5 ajga ranking
* 2nd team All-American
* Korean nat team.
* Two years elig.

He wasn't good enough to crack ASU's top six. If Cal wants to return to a top program, they'll need to recruit a more diverse roster, like Desimone did.
Wow "another oustanding asian golfer" and need more of a 'diverse' roster. I bet you don't say that about our basketball team or do you just think it?
coachdeke
OBear073akaSMFan said:

coachdeke said:

Ccajon2 said:

Jeewan Park
* #5 ajga ranking
* 2nd team All-American
* Korean nat team.
* Two years elig.

Wow "another oustanding asian golfer" and need more of a 'diverse' roster. I bet you don't say that about our basketball team or do you just think it?

I'd say it about any team that is limits itself to something that doesn't optimize its recruiting pool. The golf program is mediocre under Walter Chun . Get your panties in a bunch and call the PC police.
OBear073akaSMFan
Yes coach should be fired if the results are not there but PC it is not. Calling out his recruits because of their race is purely racist. Perhaps your type of recruits decide not to come to Cal?
coachdeke
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Yes coach should be fired if the results are not there but PC it is not. Calling out his recruits because of their race is purely racist. Perhaps your type of recruits decide not to come to Cal?

My type of recruit is a great golfer. YOU are making this into something it's not. I didn't call out a recruit because of race, someone else did that in a positive way. It's common sense that the larger the pool of quality recruits, the better your chances are to have a great team. For example, a lot of men's teams (soccer)are pretty much limited to recruit in California due to scholarship budget. Due to their limitations, their path to a great team is much more difficult and a reason they are mediocre.
DWM81
I am Chinese-American. FWIW I do not perceive coachdeke's commentary to be racist...Walter Chun is a great man. His ability to recruit the elite student athlete to Cal has been "below par", despite the fact he did most of the recruiting under Desimone. Since taking over as head coach Cal Golf has been in decline. Walter may not be targeting Asian golfers but that demographic seems most attracted to our Program. I sense coachdeke's commentary had more to do with the Program's current demographic and less to do about being anti-Asian...
OBear073akaSMFan
Thanks from another Chinese-American. Maybe it was the compounded comments not all by coachdeke "Another outstanding asian golfer joins Cal" after already identified as Korean and then a "more diverse roster". Maybe I didn't under what more diverse meant. I will not bring it up any longer since few agree with what I perceived. Yes the golf team has underachieved under Walter Chun and he should be held accountable like all of our coaches.
DWM81
I understand your perspective OBear. Ethnic Studies Grad Class of '81...I support Men's Golf and understand, very clearly, that our recruiting needs significant improvement. From a Program that boasts Morikawa, Hahn + Homa our current results are unacceptable...
Ccajon2
I'm the one who penned "another outstanding asian golfer." Hope you understand I wasn't trying to be racist, just trying to stay positive on this sometimes decidedly negative board. Nice to see a Cal grad win a PGA event then reading about Tiger Woods comeback.
OBear073akaSMFan
Ccajon2 said:

I'm the one who penned "another outstanding asian golfer." Hope you understand I wasn't trying to be racist, just trying to stay positive on this sometimes decidedly negative board. Nice to see a Cal grad win a PGA event then reading about Tiger Woods comeback.
No problem. Thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.