OT-Pac 9 Softball has 7 teams chosen for NCAA Tournament (link)

2,527 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ccajon2
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://pac-12.com/article/2022/05/15/pac-12-lands-7-teams-2022-ncaa-softball-tournament

Only Cal & Utah did not make the cut. Evidently the selected teams had a minimum of 31 victories and a season record of at least 13 wins over .500. Arizona had the worst record of the schools picked (33-20).

The Bears had season series triumphs (2-1 records) over Washington, Stanford & Arizona. They also recorded a single victory over Oregon. Cal failed to beat (0-3) UCLA, ASU or Oregon State.
CalFanatic
Weird year for the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if only UCLA and/or ASU makes it to OKC.

Cal will be a super regional team next year. Mark this post.
Ccajon2
CalFanatic said:

Weird year for the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if only UCLA and/or ASU makes it to OKC.

Looking over our 23 player roster, and with no seniors, do any of you forsee any player movement in the off-season? The teams hitting is set, Becca Mueller proves to be an excellent hitting coach, along with the rest of the staff, of course. Cal led, or was in the top 4 in all Pac-12 hitting catagories. We had over 100 more plate appearences then the next team, and led in hits, (422). Sona pitched great, but obviously had a tired arm last few weeks of season.

Without naming names or finger pointing, I'll just say about half of the 23 player roster produced, and half didn't, but didn't really get enough at bats to show anything. I noticed a few of our former HS cali- All-state players only got a few ABs all season. If we can just get a couple of ladies in the circle who can give us 3.50 era against P12 competition, and 1.00 against the OOC #150> competition, the Super Regional is there.

CalFanatic
Ccajon2 said:

CalFanatic said:

If we can just get a couple of ladies in the circle who can give us 3.50 era against P12 competition, and 1.00 against the OOC #150> competition, the Super Regional is there.

Sona was clearly gassed at the end of the year and needs help in the circle. If we can get one of Reimers, Teperson or McDade to develop as a #2...golden. I'm not sure what to think about Archer.

Next years lineup is going to be incredibly strong. If Cal did something like move Anders to OF (for Bradley) and have Bell hit/start at 3B and Butler at 2B... that's potentially 7-8 .300+ hitters in the lineup. The last time we had that was 2012.

Go Bears!
Schroeder71
Ccajon2-two of the three 4th year juniors, Amani Bradley & Morgan Zamora, were honored on senior day. They'll be gone.

Cal Fanatic-I looked up the stats of the *in-coming* four freshmen. Elon Butler had a .955 FP% so she might beat out Tatum Anzaldo at SS. I have not seen the Mitty star play in person so I'm basing that decision on the Cal shortstop's play only. Tianna Bell is a big girl for third base. I'm not certain that she'll be able to field the plethora of bunts in the college softball. If not, she could be put at first base. D'Auna Johnson had an abysmal fielding percentage but is a great athlete. She could perhaps be moved to centerfield to replace Bradley. Again, I have no basis for these conclusions other than stats and pictures of the players on Max Preps. All four can hit and hit for power. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

Ccajon2-two of the three 4th year juniors, Amani Bradley & Morgan Zamora, were honored on senior day. They'll be gone.

Cal Fanatic-I looked up the stats of the *in-coming* four freshmen. Elon Butler had a .955 FP% so she might beat out Tatum Anzaldo at SS. I have not seen the Mitty star play in person so I'm basing that decision on the Cal shortstop's play only. Tianna Bell is a big girl for third base. I'm not certain that she'll be able to field the plethora of bunts in the college softball. If not, she could be put at first base. D'Auna Johnson had an abysmal fielding percentage but is a great athlete. She could perhaps be moved to centerfield to replace Bradley. Again, I have no basis for these conclusions other than stats and pictures of the players on Max Preps. All four can hit and hit for power. GO BEARS!
I've seen Bell play quite a bit- including just recently against Pittsburg-and she is an all-conference 3B with All-American potential. Very quick first step, smooth hands and a strong arm. I'm not saying Butler or Bell will start immediately... but they are impact defenders and hitters.

It sounds like Johnson is too. However, I've only seen her play once in person. Hard for me to give an accurate read. She sure is built like a D1 athlete.

Speaking of... looks like Butler and Bell are nominated for POW: https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/05/16/vote-now-bay-area-news-group-girls-athlete-of-the-week-44/
HoopDreams
Bradley is a huge loss
BearDown2o15
Schroeder71 said:

So you want to move a PAC 12 first team member to the bench for a freshman?

LMFAO
CalFanatic
Yeah... that won't happen. However, I could see defensive configurations such as:

1B Smith
2B Butler
SS Anzaldo
3B Anders

or

1B Smith
2B Anders
SS Anzaldo
3B Bell

1B Smith
2B Butler
SS Anzaldo
3B Bell
Anders DP

Still expect Butler to get some reps at SS. Regardless, we have a very deep lineup next year with a variety of strong defensive and offensive options. Rejoice!
Jackisback
CalFanatic said:

Yeah... that won't happen. However, I could see defensive configurations such as...

It is interesting that you have Smith at 1B in all of your options, which means you don't see her as the primary catcher. I would agree with that assessment, as Thomas is clearly the best catcher on the current roster. However, I don't see Smith at 1b either, but rather RF or DP. In my opinion, she needs to spend the off season working on her OF skills since she is unlikely to be one of the top IF players next year.

I have not seen Bell or Butler play, but I have watched Johnson a few times. I think she could well be an improvement at 2B if she is able to produce at the plate. I don't expect Bell to replace Anders (though she may), but I would not be surprised to see Bell at 1B. I think it unlikely that Anzaldo will be replaced at SS, but if she is, she will be on the field somewhere.

The best part about this speculation though is that none of it matters. Coach will make the decisions that give us the best opportunity to win. She sees and knows much more about the players than any of us ever will. I am confident that the best team will be on the field when it matters.

I am disappointed with the outcome this year, but not with the effort. It was a much improved team over the past several years and they were fun to watch. One decent pitcher (new or developed) will get us to the post-season next year.

Ccajon2
Schroeder71 said:

Cal Fanatic-I looked up the stats of the *in-coming* four freshmen. Elon Butler had a .955 FP% so she might beat out Tatum Anzaldo at SS. GO BEARS!

No S71 nobody gonna beat out a 1st. Team all conference SS, who hit .383, and led the conference in hits and DPs in fielding. The 13 errors and .938 FP are irrelevant.

Is Butler your grand-daughter or somthin?

Schroeder71
Tatum Anzaldo made 1st team all-Pac 12 because she led the conference in hits. It was not her defense that got her there. Obviously, she'll be in the heart of the batting order but the infield defense needs to improve. Let Chelsea Spencer, a former shortstop, figure it out during fall ball. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
I wouldn't beat up on S71 here. I've been the one touting EB's superior defensive abilities in this thread and others. I do believe EB is an elite defender and will be the starter at SS at some point. I've seen her multiple times live but don't take my word for it... she has tons of videos online that show her capabilities.

Again... depth. We have SO MUCH depth for next year. How great is that?
OBear073akaSMFan
Ccajon2 said:

I think it is more about Butler coming from Mitty. You know SR71 love for this school.
Ccajon2
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Ccajon2 said:

I think it is more about Butler coming from Mitty. You know SR71 love for this school.

I know. Diamond Holland's from Mitty too. Played 50 games but only 12 AB. Defensive replacement, PR. (7-8 SB). 2nd team all State. Hope she developes.

CyBear77
Yes,...the future looks bright for Cal softball again!!

I agree that Sona looked tired at the end of the season...but she can sure hit!! I'm hoping that Haley Archer develops more control, because she can really bring it...when she can get early strikes, she is very good. And if she can develop her change up and throw that for strikes, she would be deadly. The same for Sona, if she can get her off speed pitches over the plate, she would also be deadly. I was impressed by Reimers ability to hit corners with all her pitches the few times I saw her pitch. Not as much velocity, but her ball moves and she seems to have all the pitches.

If the hitting keeps developing, we will be right there next season. I would love to follow Cal to regionals...and I think the Pac 12 will have a post season tournament next year...(like baseball this year)
59bear
Jackisback said:

CalFanatic said:

Yeah... that won't happen. However, I could see defensive configurations such as...

It is interesting that you have Smith at 1B in all of your options, which means you don't see her as the primary catcher. I would agree with that assessment, as Thomas is clearly the best catcher on the current roster. However, I don't see Smith at 1b either, but rather RF or DP. In my opinion, she needs to spend the off season working on her OF skills since she is unlikely to be one of the top IF players next year.

I have not seen Bell or Butler play, but I have watched Johnson a few times. I think she could well be an improvement at 2B if she is able to produce at the plate. I don't expect Bell to replace Anders (though she may), but I would not be surprised to see Bell at 1B. I think it unlikely that Anzaldo will be replaced at SS, but if she is, she will be on the field somewhere.

The best part about this speculation though is that none of it matters. Coach will make the decisions that give us the best opportunity to win. She sees and knows much more about the players than any of us ever will. I am confident that the best team will be on the field when it matters.

I am disappointed with the outcome this year, but not with the effort. It was a much improved team over the past several years and they were fun to watch. One decent pitcher (new or developed) will get us to the post-season next year.

Hopefully there will be an adequate replacement for Bradley in CF. In the games I saw, she was the only outfielder Cal put on the field who looked like she belonged there. Our corner OFs always looked uncomfortable like, well, catchers (Smith, Zobac) filling in just to get their bats in the lineup. IMO, if you're going to convert a player to the OF, middle IFs, particularly those who've played SS are the best prospects. If one of the newbies is good enough to displace Anzaldo at SS, I think she has the range and arm to play CF.
CalFanatic
Phenomenal point about the OF defense… Lee and Silvestre have a golden opportunity if they have an offensive output similar to KT.

Speaking of recruits…did we all see Randi Roelling's performance? 12th in the nation in strikeouts and one of the best players in the entire class of 2023 just
knocked off Oakdale's SEC pitcher with 17k's and the game winning RBI to win the top seed. I was there to witness Val Arioto in 2006 playing in the Livermore Stampede and let me tell you… Roelling is that kind of star. She is the next franchise player. Good job, staff!
CalFanatic
CalFanatic
Schroeder71
https://miamiredhawks.com/sports/softball/stats/2022/university-of-kentucky/boxscore/16823

Kentucky (SEC) crushed Miami of Ohio, 15-1, in 5 innings in the opener of the NCAA Tournament today. This surprised me because I thought that the underdogs were actually a solid team. Cal could not beat 'em in a road three game series. I was impressed with their hitting and thought that they had two decent pitchers but I guess that I was wrong. Kentucky must be really good this season. Thoughts, anyone?
Ccajon2
Let's go Sooners! They have 8! Californians on their roster, including Gracie Green from Oakdale, CA.

I'm sure the Sooners will end up with the all time best seasonal Winning pct. Ever. Now (49-2).
SFCALBear72
Schroeder71 said:

https://miamiredhawks.com/sports/softball/stats/2022/university-of-kentucky/boxscore/16823

Kentucky (SEC) crushed Miami of Ohio, 15-1, in 5 innings in the opener of the NCAA Tournament today. This surprised me because I thought that the underdogs were actually a solid team. Cal could not beat 'em in a road three game series. I was impressed with their hitting and thought that they had two decent pitchers but I guess that I was wrong. Kentucky must be really good this season. Thoughts, anyone?
Call it payback. Lol.

Looking at their schedule, Miami of Ohio beat Kentucky in a mid-week game at home, 7-5, back on March 16. Plus, they are only 5-4 on the season at neutral sites.
Ccajon2
Sooners (51-2) advance to regional finals edging TAM 3-2. Trautwine 7IP 3H 2er.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.