Volleyball Part Three

5,091 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by juarezbear
HateRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I've seen nothing that indicates a change in volleyball staff due to atrocious record this year. I feel so badly for those young ladies that at this point I don't know what would be the best move for CAL volleyball.
SFCALBear72
It's early. Season just ended on Friday (Holiday weekend).

Knowlton will be meeting with all of the coaches who have finished their seasons to review and reflect on results.
EastIsWest
The Best thing to do would be to give the job back to Jenn Carey.

The 2019 10-10 PAC12 record was due to the players Jenn recruited and trained. 2018 was already showing that growth trajectory. As we all know it all collapsed and we are 1-67 since Nov 10, 2019.

There is no reason for JK not to fix the error in judgment he made in 2019

HoopDreams
why did the prior coach who took cal deep into the ncaa leave?
HateRed
I think he retired.
SanseiBear
HateRed said:

I think he retired.
After the 2016 season.

CalFanatic
That 2007 win vs Nebraska in the Elite Eight.... still one of my favorite Cal matches of any sport.
ilovetogobear
Sam Crosson is a good coach. Just read his bio. He was Rich Feller's assistant during Cals best year. He was hard done by the Covid pandemic and then several upperclass players did not wait to see if the pandemic was over and departed, which left the team bare. I th8nk it would be a mistake to let him go.
HoopDreams
SanseiBear said:

HateRed said:

I think he retired.
After the 2016 season.

what happened in 2014/15/16?
SanseiBear
HoopDreams said:

SanseiBear said:

HateRed said:

I think he retired.
After the 2016 season.

what happened in 2014/15/16?
Good question, HoopDreams! Hopefully, someone closer to WVB can answer that.
ilovetogobear
If my memory serves correctly several things happened. The recruiting did not go as well even though Rich Feller was still coach. Other Pac12 teams caught up to the Bears talent wise, so many were ranked above the Bears in conference and nationally. At one point I think there were over half the Pac 12 teams in the Top 20 nationally, which meant we lost a lot of matches to ranked teams.. Just like this year the team won sets but not matches. Most encouraging this year is the way the team got better as they started to come together. Now they have to keep the players they have and add depth.
ncbears
The silence from the AD is ... well, I guess expected. I presume the AD is otherwise occupied and hasn't done a review of the season and team with Crosson, yet. .
Gkhoury2325
Here sure is not in the interviews for the hiring of the football OC and OL coach. He needs to pay attention and either hire a new Volleyball coach or Knowlton should resign.
DiabloWags
Furd in womens Final Four tonight vs San Diego.
ESPNU at 7pm
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
SanseiBear
The scary part is all the starters and top reserves for Stanford will return next season. I watched their match against Houston where they were down 13-21 in the first set, came back to tie 22 all, and eventually win 26-24.

It should be a great match against USD.
Baygbear
DiabloWags said:

ESPNU at 7pm

Elite 8
DiabloWags
My bad.
I misread The Comical.
CalFanatic
The level of volleyball in these matches is so high. Enjoying every minute of the Pitt UW game.
SBGold
Baygbear said:

DiabloWags said:

ESPNU at 7pm

Elite 8

I was at Maples tonight for the match. Paid 32 bucks for the ticket. Saw Stafurd lose in 5 sets at home and denied the Final 4. Would have paid 1k to see it

Go Bears
SFCALBear72
SBGold said:

Baygbear said:

DiabloWags said:

ESPNU at 7pm

Elite 8

I was at Maples tonight for the match. Paid 32 bucks for the ticket. Saw Stafurd lose in 5 sets at home and denied the Final 4. Would have paid 1k to see it

Go Bears
Was Troy Taylor there too? I don't really care. Just asking. lol.

The USD coach has been at the school 24 years! I'm sure she's probably been approached by many larger schools but has shown true commitment to USD. So, hiring her away is probably unlikely. How about one of her assistants instead of Crosson?
SBGold
Nope, they didn't announce TT. It was very NCAA oriented and not Stanford oriented in terms of presentation
DiabloWags
Some terrific matches last night!

Defending Champs Wisco loses to Pitt in a 5th set tie-breaker in front of a hometown crowd.
Stanford the same, at Maples.

Louisville vs Pitt

Texas vs San Diego
ncbears
Shouldn't Crosson have had his sit-down with Knowlton by now?
And if so, I guess Crosson will be here another year.
CalFanatic
Former Cal MB Bella Bergmark is playing right now for a National Championship. Not a bad switch!
DiabloWags
TEXAS with 11 new players takes the Championship in 3 sets!
ncbears
UW and ASU have new head coaches for volleyball.
Silence from Cal - so I presume Crosson is returning.
SanseiBear
I don't know the accuracy of this link's contents, but Sydney Lilomaiava is using the Covid year for one more year of eligibility and has entered the transfer portal.

2022-23 College Volleyball Transfers - Google Sheets
CalFanatic
With everyone else returning eligibility wise, could this be a big turnaround team next year? Or are we missing huge pieces to the puzzle?

I attended most home games 2003-2013. I don't even know what is happening with the program now.
EastIsWest
It's sad if Jim Knowlton decided to give Crosson another chance to avoid another winless season in his last year coaching PAC12.

With the two SoCal schools leaving for BIG10, PAC12 is in shambles. Four programs are making changes and getting the new coaching staff. I can't see us having winless record again, as some of these programs had a mass exodus of players with the coaching change. ASU has 9-10 Student Athletes transferring out.

Programs with New Coaching Staff in 2023:
Oregon State
Arizona State
UCLA
Washington

Disappointed that we are not a Program where Student Athletes and their mental health is a priority over catering to a coach that's better fit at lower level conference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we used when we created them."
-Albert Einstein
CalFanatic
So what exactly happened from hiring to now?

Everyone was praising the Crosson hire. And not just here. There was gushing about him on VT. He has a fantastic resume. Had a solid first year. I'm confused.
EastIsWest
CalFanatic said:

So what exactly happened from hiring to now?

Everyone was praising the Crosson hire. And not just here. There was gushing about him on VT. He has a fantastic resume. Had a solid first year. I'm confused.

This was posted this on another thread:

Coach Sam is 1-67 Since Nov 10 2019.

That 10-4 PAC12 start in 2019 was primarily with the players recruited and coached by Jenn Carey who got robbed by giving her job away to Sam.
After that first string of losses, team quit on coach Sam. At the first opportunity they transferred out. Six transferred with two years of eligibility left. Two more just disappeared from the roster. Assistant coach loved by everyone leaves the program. The players that stay, close down and endure until they graduate because of UCBerkely badge not because of love for the coach. It all shows on the court

With six transfers still at Cal, we win more than 1 game for sure. We have some great new recruits - give them a coach they deserve.
LodeBear
are you an insider? who was the coach that left that was so loved? jenn is still the associate head coach. she was the interim head coach in 2018. so you are saying sam is a terrible coach? or just that the players did not like or respect him? yes transfers did occur but not all at the same time. basically anderson and forte left. then later belmark? and rennie. two others did not play and they did not play much for jenn as well. I thought she was going to get the head coaching job, but what do i know?
ncbears
Did the team really quit on Crosson in 2019? The team was playing great and winning ant then Mirkovic got injured. For whatever reason, Crosson was unable to get the team to adapt to her absence. Was it coaching or leadership? I don't know why the team would have quit when the NCAA tournament was within reach, even if they had issues with Crosson, quitting on him just cost them their chances.
The major transfers the next year were attributed to the Pac12 stop and go with the volleyball season. Unless the poster knows something different.
CalFanatic
ncbears said:

Did the team really quit on Crosson in 2019? The team was playing great and winning ant then Mirkovic got injured. For whatever reason, Crosson was unable to get the team to adapt to her absence. Was it coaching or leadership? I don't know why the team would have quit when the NCAA tournament was within reach, even if they had issues with Crosson, quitting on him just cost them their chances.
The major transfers the next year were attributed to the Pac12 stop and go with the volleyball season. Unless the poster knows something different.
Yeah, I am not sure i buy this quitting narrative
EastIsWest
When you think it can't get any worse - you see reports that our best player is in the transfer portal on her way out - that's when the reality sinks in!

Isn't it intriguing that another top player is transferring out with 2 yrs of eligibility left?

https://volleytalk.proboards.com/post/3290609/thread
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.