U of A Coming To Town

3,894 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Baller4
Baller4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder what series has prepared this team for a hot U of A team who just swept UCLA. Could it be the CSU Bakersfield or that 4 game stint vs Brown?

Tall order this weekend as this team is on life support in regards to making it to a regional. The top 4 or 5 will be going to a regional. OSU will host, as well as Esquer over at Stanford.
OBear073akaSMFan
Baller4 said:

I wonder what series has prepared this team for a hot U of A team who just swept UCLA. Could it be the CSU Bakersfield or that 4 game stint vs Brown?

Tall order this weekend as this team is on life support in regards to making it to a regional. The top 4 or 5 will be going to a regional. OSU will host, as well as Esquer over at Stanford.
Whatever coach Mike did he prepared them well enough as the Bears defeated the 'hot U of A' team 9-3. Great win for the Bears. Lets go for #2 tomorrow. Did you previously post under the name of 'Baseballbacker'. Your negative comments are very similar to his/her postings.
OBear073akaSMFan
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Baller4 said:

Whatever coach Mike did he prepared them well enough as the Bears defeated the 'hot U of A' team 9-3. Great win for the Bears. Lets go for #2 tomorrow. Did you previously post under the name of 'Baseballbacker'. Your negative comments are very similar to his/her postings.
How you like them Bears? Cal defeats AZ in the 2nd game of the series 16-6. Cal was led by Davis's Grand salami and Vaughn's 3 run shot in the 7th. Cal goes for the sweep tomorrow. Meanwhile Stanford has loss the the first 2 games vs OSU. OSU goes for the sweep too!
philbert
An exciting 12-11 win for the series sweep! Gave up 8 runs in the last two innings to make things interesting. Need more arms for pitching depth....
OBear073akaSMFan
philbert said:

An exciting 12-11 win for the series sweep! Gave up 8 runs in the last two innings to make things interesting. Need more arms for pitching depth....
Cal made it an exciting game. Martinez was to be the stopper this year but he has struggled all year. In OSU vs Stanford game, Osu led 6-0 after a couple of innings. The furds scored 9 unanswered runs and won in Xtra-innings 9-6. Drats!
SFCALBear72
Baller4 said:

Brooms!!! And we sent them packing with a sweep. Cooled off those Cats, big time! It's funny how you become quiet and have less bravado when you're wrong. By the way, we also took 2 out of 3 from UCLA earlier in the season. Go Bears!!
OBear073akaSMFan
Anyone knows what happened to Darren Baker? Think he has missed the last 5 games.
Gkhoury2325
Baker apparently has a sore elbow. I heard it today. Hopefully he heals quickly.
Baller4
SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

Brooms!!! And we sent them packing with a sweep. Cooled off those Cats, big time! It's funny how you become quiet and have less bravado when you're wrong. By the way, we also took 2 out of 3 from UCLA earlier in the season. Go Bears!!
Amazing how you only come out when they are winning, and now that Esquer is gone, there is no talk of baseball. All Y'all came on here to bash Esquer, and not support the program.

How was I wrong, it was a tall order and this team did what it had to do. However, it may be too little to late. ASU is not going to roll over and die. They are going to play it out for a chance, as well as, Oregon who is tied with ASU @ 11-13. ASU has U of A next weekend and Oregon has UCLA.

Going to Creighton gives Cal the chance to play in TD Ameritrade, but it will be a hard time to play there in June when you cannot get into a regional. At least this coming weekend will give Cal a chance to see what they have to against ASU. If UCLA and Washington win their series, regional hopes are most likely gone.

As of May 9, Cal was nowhere to be seen in predictions for the field of 64. Arizona was in, however that will change after this weekend. Scheduling will hurt Cal in the end if they do not sweep ASU, which will put them at 17-13 They will have to bank on UCLA getting swept by Oregon, and Washington taking a slide.

U of A eliminated themselves this past weekend. U of W should sweep Utah and then has to face Stanford who is going to play for that conference title. The projection only has 4 teams from the Pac and for some reason it by passed Washington for U of A. I guess it did not see U of A being swept this past weekend.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/college-baseball-projected-field-of-64-5918/

Baller4
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Baller4 said:

No to answer your question. This team did what it had to do, however, is it enough?
philbert
OBear073akaSMFan said:

philbert said:

Cal made it an exciting game. Martinez was to be the stopper this year but he has struggled all year. In OSU vs Stanford game, Osu led 6-0 after a couple of innings. The furds scored 9 unanswered runs and won in Xtra-innings 9-6. Drats!
Yeah, not sure what happened to Martinez this year. In general though, I think they need better depth on the pitching staff. That and start winning those mid-week games.
SFCALBear72
Baller4 said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

Amazing how you only come out when they are winning, and now that Esquer is gone, there is no talk of baseball. All Y'all came on here to bash Esquer, and not support the program.

You make such broad, sweeping generalizations. You don't know what lengths I go to support Cal Baseball. We can't talk baseball with you because you make everything so political (Esquer vs. Neu) and seem to think most of us are so naive about the team. Sorry, we don't have your "insider" information. Plus, your taunts about the Arizona series were not at all productive. We didn't make the schedule, so why place blame in our corner? It is, what it is.
OBear073akaSMFan
SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

You make such broad, sweeping generalizations. You don't know what lengths I go to support Cal Baseball. We can't talk baseball with you because you make everything so political (Esquer vs. Neu) and seem to think most of us are so naive about the team. Sorry, we don't have your "insider" information. Plus, your taunts about the Arizona series were not at all productive. We didn't make the schedule, so why place blame in our corner? It is, what it is.
Thank you. Both threads that was started by Baller4 started off negatively and dredged up last years attacks on Esquer. Why? This is a new team under coach Mike. Is coach Mike another person involved in coach Esquer going to Stanford. I think he chose to go where the money was. I was not one of the people who complained about coach Esquer but instead chose to support the team. If you are a supporter of Cal baseball then you should do the same.
GoldenBear1
Baller, save it with the coach talk. Lame and boring.
Cal Baseball had a great weekend, nice that they are in the conversation with two weeks to go in the regular season and have a chance to make the tournament. Really hope they get it done.
If not it will be because they don't have the pitching depth/talent to complete with the top of the PAC.
An interesting conversation about baseball on this board to me is can Neu recruit the pitchers it takes to win the PAC and have depth in the program to make Omaha runs.
Great coaches bring in great talent and that's the biggest reason great programs win consistently. Cal needs to be able to recruit much much better going forward and I hope Mike can do that.
Remains to be seen.
63Gaucho

I couldn't agree more with the last two posts. This was a team that was predicted to finish 8th in the PAC- 11, now 5th with a shot at 4th if we sweep a fading ASU. IMO Mike has done a great job.
Baller4
63Gaucho said:

I couldn't agree more with the last two posts. This was a team that was predicted to finish 8th in the PAC- 11, now 5th with a shot at 4th if we sweep a fading ASU. IMO Mike has done a great job.
Wow, I leave for a couple of days.....

Maybe you need to read up on baseball and not just pile on because you think you know!

This came out back in Feb!!!!

http://pac-12.com/article/2018/02/11/pac-12-baseball-coaches-pick-oregon-state-2018-favorite

Baller4
OBear073akaSMFan said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

SFCALBear72 said:

Baller4 said:

Thank you. Both threads that was started by Baller4 started off negatively and dredged up last years attacks on Esquer. Why? This is a new team under coach Mike. Is coach Mike another person involved in coach Esquer going to Stanford. I think he chose to go where the money was. I was not one of the people who complained about coach Esquer but instead chose to support the team. If you are a supporter of Cal baseball then you should do the same.
So I was a fan of Esquer, so now I need to just support the team? Wow, where were you when Esquer was getting ripped every game on here. Where was your support?

Esquer had other offers way before Stanford. He chose to stay despite, and was never supported. Neu has a leg up on Esquer. Not in the manner of coaching, but he won't have Milano scheming in the background. When Esquer let Zuber go, Milano was trying to work his magic. It even goes back further when Esquer let Dave Lawn go.

Not sure if this is true, but Esquer was pushed to bring Neu on board by the man who presents himself as the Jim Brock of Cal, (you do know how Jim Brock is without Googleing). Funny, one of Esquer's past players called him the Marquess of Cal baseball.

So now Neu gets all the support that Esquer should have received. When we went to the CWS in 2011, there was still criticism to be thrown out, despite the story of Milano sending emails out to alumni not to support the baseball program. Yes I bring that up again, because it is important. Let's not forget when Esquer was criticized for not recruiting hispanic players!

I see this team as what it could have been this year, and now I am told to stop the coach talk. This team was projected 5th, but should be in the top 3 and headed into a regional. ASU takes this series from U of A. They will be motivated to take three from Cal. Cal is not doing any favors with losing this series in Omaha. I see that Neu is posting pictures of himself at the old Rosenblatt site. Funny, Esquer never drew attention to himself in 2011. Even if Cal takes the series from ASU. Hard pressed to include Cal in the fied of 64 with there scheduling. Cal was overlooked back in 2006 or 2007, however it was during one of OSU's win at Omaha, despite a strong schedule. OSU took their spot in the field of 64, despite Cal taking the series that year. Neu strength is pitching, and since he is taking credit for every recruit on the roster today. He recruited these pitchers, so what does that tell you! Hitting has saved the pitching staff this year!

If Esquer was such a bad coach as he was portrayed to be by everyone on here. Wouldn't he have taken what Marquess built, and tear it down this year. They should be in last place right now, because he "was not the coach to lead Cal baseball"! Lord knows how this program was such a power house before Esquer came on board.

Before I posted anything on here, there was no discussion about baseball at all. So now that is has been brought up, ya'all don't like it. I guess projected to get into the post season back in Feb, is cause for all you supporters to be quiet about the 2018 outloook!

Baseballbacker, where are you when I need you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.