Cal won the season finale at ASU, 3-0, as Aaron Shortrdige threw a shutout Saturday night. The Bears won the three-game set in Phoenix, two games to one.

Trying to stay optimistic about their chances for an invitation to the NCAA tournament, the Cal PR staff included the following in its story about the game. "... with an overall record of 32-22, six series victories against Pac-12 foes and series wins over teams in UCLA and Washington that are likely to be invited, Cal's resume and talent level look the part of a squad that has earned the right to see its season continue.

" 'I think we're definitely one of the best teams on the West Coast,' head coach Mike Neu said. 'We've proven that in the Pac-12 and with our overall record. And, we have some really, really high level players. I think we definitely deserve a chance. There's going to be a lower amount of teams on the West Coast but we have as good a case as anybody for that final spot if there is one. Hopefully we get in because it would be fun for our guys and I think we deserve it.' "

That may be true, but a bid for the Bears is unlikely. Still, in NCAA selections stranger things have happened, We will hope for the best come the selection show on Monday.