Cal Softball First Fall Ball Games: Sonoma State Double Header

2,846 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Schroeder71
homeruncentral
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Played Sonoma State in a double header this past Saturday.

Cal kicked off their 2018-2019 season with a fall double header at Sonoma State who stood no match at all for the bears.

Kamalani Dung got the start of the first game of the 2018-2019 season and looks great. She went 5 innings fanning 8 with no walks allowing one hit. Shaw finished up the last two innings striking out 2. The starting catcher was newcomer/freshman Makenna Smith. The final score was 16-0 with the entire team batting and everyone recording a hit. Newcomers Perez, Bradley, and Smith looked like they will be great additions to this years team offensively if they can continue to develop throughout the year. Rood and Blueford switched off up the middle between short and second and played clean ball. Newcomer Blueford looked great.

Zoe Conley got the start of the second game and looked good going 5 innings striking out 3 with one walk and hbp while allowing 1 hit and 1 run. Newcomer Perez closed the last 2 innings of the game struggling a bit and allowing 2 runs. The final score was 13-3 with the entire team batting once again. Sparacino hit two homeruns while switching off at 3B with freshman Zamora. Coehlo's bat looked great and she switched between 1B and outfield.

Overall, promising start for the golden bears with a lot of changes this year. New coach Anjelica Selden had her first appearance with the bears and seemed to fit right in. Interested to see how she changes the pitching staff, along with the entire vibe of the team in the games to come.

GO BEARS
Schroeder71
Thank you for the rundown of the DH! Do you have a feel for the starting position players, yet? It sounded as if Destiny Blueford might be starting at SS or 2B? I'm shocked because she did not start at New Mexico State nor did she hit (.191 BA%). She must be a very good defensive middle infielder that Cal needs...If Makenna Smith wins the starting job as catcher, did Lauren Espalin DH? Where did Marcella Kay play? Which players occupied
the outfield spots?

If it's too early to comment, I certainly understand. The next fall double-header is against a more formidable foe, the Nevada Wolfpack, on Saturday, October 20th. Nevada is a Division I opponent that finished 27-27 last season. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
We've had a lot of very good pitchers- over the years- who could also flat out rake in travel ball. Ninemire has taken the bat out of many of their hands. Happy to hear this isn't the case for Perez. She is very talented offensively.
kc1121
Are these fall ball games open to public? The Bay Area Showcase is the weekend of the 20th at Twin Creeks in Sunnyvale also - saw a lot of ppl wearing college gear watching games last year
Schroeder71
Twin Creeks brings back memories. For several years, Cal participated in a tournament at Twin Creeks and I always attended the majority of the games. Please let me know if there's anything that I should attend there because it is convenient for me. Thank you.
kc1121
Last year was my first time attending one of these showcases. Interesting watching the coaches/school reps go from field to field to check out players.

Here's the list of teams/schedule for his year
https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/9dbf-1665941/2018_BAS_SatnSun_Game_Schedule.pdf

Let me know if you know which team(s) has Cal commits/recruits

So do you know if the Cal fall games are open/closed to public?
OBear073akaSMFan
kc1121 said:

Are these fall ball games open to public?
Yes the games are open to the public are free. Attended a number of fall games each year. Very low key..batters goes in & out of the lineups. And no names on the back of the unis so better print out from Calbears the roster. Bring snacks if you plan for a double header..no concession stand.
kc1121
Thanks for the info OBear
CalFanatic
Isabella Emerling- Lady Magic
Diamond Holland and Kacey Zobac- SJ Sting
Batbusters- D'asha Saiki
Nicole Hammoude was with the Sorcers. Not sure anymore.
kc1121
Thanks CF. Thought Emerling and Bishop were still w/ Universal. Could of changed just to play fall sched
OBear073akaSMFan
kc1121 said:

Thanks for the info OBear
You're welcome. BTW the fall games are free but when Pac-9 starts there is a charge for the Pac-9 games.
gmunay
CalFanatic said:

Isabella Emerling- Lady Magic
Diamond Holland and Kacey Zobac- SJ Sting
Batbusters- D'asha Saiki
Nicole Hammoude was with the Sorcers. Not sure anymore.
Hammoude is listed on the Sorcerers Gabales fall roster

Emerling looks to have switched back to Universal

Gabby Tobey is with Lady Magic

A couple of familiar coaches are Lindsey Munoz (Ziegenhert) - Lady Magic and Kristina Thorson - SJ Sting 16U
kc1121
And Haley Woods - Cal Nuggets. There could be some good coaching options if staff ever had openings and some good recruiting pipelines.
Schroeder71
Anyone observe the DH yesterday against the Nevada Wolfpack? This is the only average Div I opponent on
the fall ball schedule. I'm curious whether Cal's offense can jell against 3.50-4.50 ERA pitchers...GO BEARS!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.