VBall Cal seeps UCLA on the road

4,444 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I admit I had given up on this team earlier in the year. They lost to UCLA up here but reversed the fortunes down there. Have now beaten three ranked teams in about 4 weeks. Maybe someone who has been watching can explain the evolution.
SanseiBear
I'm no expert but after losing so many full-set matches in the conference, the win at Utah was huge. It convinced the team that they were as good as their opponents. Our two MHs are outstanding, they've used back attacks on occasions, and their serves, serve receives, and passing have greatly improved.
Schroeder71
*Breakthrough* victory for Cal women's volley ball! Three set sweep earned by the Bears in Pauley Pavillion over
#20 UCLA was absolute shocker! The team had lost six consecutive matches (including initial five in Pac12) and then the Utah road victory (per SanseiBear) seemed to begin a turnaround...Cal has now emerged victorious in 4 out of 6 conference affairs. Only one senior played off of the bench (Albrecht). Obviously-there has to be a great coaching job happening simultaneously! GO BEARS!
GATC
SanseiBear said:

I'm no expert but after losing so many full-set matches in the conference, the win at Utah was huge. It convinced the team that they were as good as their opponents. Our two MHs are outstanding, they've used back attacks on occasions, and their serves, serve receives, and passing have greatly improved.

Great to see. Followed the game on Twitter. The team has character.
wvitbear
How are their setters and Libero doing. I can see the kills and blocking have improved.
HoopDreams
cal really improving ...

wvitbear
The most conference victories since 2013.
OBear073akaSMFan
..but that was a terrible loss vs Colorado. These are the games we have to win at home but we were swept by them.
wvitbear
Beat OSU. Should beat them. Question, to make the NCAA's, I would assume you have to have a .500 record. If so by my reckoning, we have to win two of our last 5 matches which is not easy.
SanseiBear
A big improvement over last year is the number of straight set losses in conference (15 in 2017 and so far only 5 this season). We also had only one 5-set match (W) in 2017 while so far 4 this season although we came short in 3 of those matches.

Although they may not make the NCAA tourney this year, the future looks bright with all of the present starters returning next season. I'm no expert, but if scholarships are available, I'd like to see a 6-rotation outside hitter, another middle hitter, and one setter in the next class.

GO BEARS!
Chabbear
Cal has a RPI of 90 so unless they win their last 5 matches, including against #2 Stanford, I don't see them making the playoffs. That said, the difference between this year and last year is like night and day ie. they are so much better coached and it shows in their play. We lose two seniors, Mackenzie Albrecht and Carmen Annevelimk. We used a 2 setter system sophmore Potter and Freshman Blevins for 2/3rd of the season then Potter took over. So we have 3 setters for next year. I hope for outside hitters first.

I think that volleyball is going to climb back up the rankings next year!

Go Bears
GATC
Chabbear said:

Cal has a RPI of 90 so unless they win their last 5 matches, including against #2 Stanford, I don't see them making the playoffs. That said, the difference between this year and last year is like night and day ie. they are so much better coached and it shows in their play. We lose two seniors, Mackenzie Albrecht and Carmen Annevelimk. We used a 2 setter system sophmore Potter and Freshman Blevins for 2/3rd of the season then Potter took over. So we have 3 setters for next year. I hope for outside hitters first.

I think that volleyball is going to climb back up the rankings next year!

Go Bears
Great to see the improvement. What a difference coaching makes.
Chabbear
Volleyball beats WSU in Pullman to sweep the season series!

https://calbears.com/news/2018/11/18/volleyball-cal-knocks-off-no-18-wsu-for-series-sweep.aspx
Bear8995
This team really seems to be improving. Cool to see. Hope they can pull out a victory and possibly sneak into the tournament.
wvitbear
The real key is the Arizona game as I don't see us beating Stanford at Stanford. Our worse loss in conference was the ASU game up here.
SanseiBear
Cal signed two student-athletes for next season. Since the article didn't mention their heights, I checked with the staff who said Sydney is 6'2" and Deniz is 5'11".

Sydney Lilomaiava and Deniz Milli

OBear073akaSMFan
Chabbear said:

Cal has a RPI of 90 so unless they win their last 5 matches, including against #2 Stanford, I don't see them making the playoffs.
Darn it! I was hoping that if we upset AZ & have a winning season (barely) we could qualify. Didn't realize are RPI was so bad. Except for CAL football (though better than expected), our fall sports i.e. M &W soccer, field hockey, VB, M&W XC, & even our MWP who failed to advance to the NCAA all took it on the chin .
SanseiBear
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Chabbear said:

Cal has a RPI of 90 so unless they win their last 5 matches, including against #2 Stanford, I don't see them making the playoffs.
Darn it! I was hoping that if we upset AZ & have a winning season (barely) we could qualify. Didn't realize are RPI was so bad. Except for CAL football (though better than expected), our fall sports i.e. M &W soccer, field hockey, VB, M&W XC, & even our MWP who failed to advance to the NCAA all took it on the chin .
It's the OOC schedule that adversely affects our RPI. Aside of St Mary's (42) and Fresno St (97), six teams are in the 100's and three in the high 200's. I assume the new staff felt the young team needed time to develop; thus, going with this schedule. Hopefully, next season will see an upgrade in the OOC matches. I personally feel coach Dorr and her staff have done a tremendous job with the team, especially in conference play. Of course, I'm hopelessly biased because I just love the Hawaii connections with our current staff. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
The Team should be proud!! It was looking pretty bad at the beginning of the season.... I'm so impressed with the turnaround!
SFCALBear72
Interesting development.

From CalBears.com on 11/24/18

"Cal will open up a full national search for head coach as Dorr completes her one-year contract in the position. Dorr assumed the role in an interim capacity with four games remaining in 2017 and signed on to lead the Bears for the 2018 season. Should Dorr apply, she will be considered for the position. A standout setter at Hawai'i, Dorr has been with the program since 2009, when she came on as a director of operations under legendary coach Rich Feller. In 2011, the Laguna Beach, Calif., native, was promoted to assistant coach."

SanseiBear
SFCALBear72 said:

Interesting development.

From CalBears.com on 11/24/18

"Cal will open up a full national search for head coach as Dorr completes her one-year contract in the position. Dorr assumed the role in an interim capacity with four games remaining in 2017 and signed on to lead the Bears for the 2018 season. Should Dorr apply, she will be considered for the position. A standout setter at Hawai'i, Dorr has been with the program since 2009, when she came on as a director of operations under legendary coach Rich Feller. In 2011, the Laguna Beach, Calif., native, was promoted to assistant coach."

Mahalo for the link, SFCALBear72. I saw that as well, and I commented on a Facebook post that Coach Dorr deserves to be rehired after the super job she did this season.
puakobear1
The AD is conducting a search. Coach Dorr is going to interview. I believe Jenn should have been offered to continue in that position after what she's accomplished this past season.
SanseiBear
puakobear1 said:

The AD is conducting a search. Coach Dorr is going to interview. I believe Jenn should have been offered to continue in that position after what she's accomplished this past season.
Hopefully, it's a procedural thing with multi-year contracts where they have to advertise for the position. With your suggestion, I wrote my first email to the Athletic Director encouraging him to choose Coach Dorr.

"I've been a supporter of Cal athletics for about 20 years, especially football and women's volleyball. I am one of the few season ticket holders for both sports who fly in from Hawaii.

I noticed in the last article concerning volleyball that you'll be conducting a nationwide search for the head coach position. In my opinion, Jennifer Dorr should be seriously considered for this job in light of the superlative job she's done ever since taking over the team for the last four matches in 2017 until the end of this current season. Most experts had Cal earmarked for the cellar in their pre-season forecasts with possibly 3 wins in conference play. A comparison of 2017 and 2018 follows:

Match Result 2017 2018
0-3 15 6
1-3 1 3
2-3 0 4
3-0 1 3
3-1 2 3
3-2 1 1

The reduction in straight set losses from 15 to 6 with a corresponding increase in 1-3 and full set losses going from 1 to 7 is significant. Along with the 7 matches that Cal won, this means our team had become quite competitive compared to 2017. In addition, 4 of their wins came against ranked teams! The credit for this vast improvement goes to Coach Dorr and her assistants who have elevated this young team from the bottom of the conference to one that can compete with practically all teams in one short year.

Coach Dorr comes from strong volleyball roots with her collegiate career as a setter with the University of Hawaii Wahine coached by the legendary Dave Shoji. In fact, she has three others on her staff with volleyball roots in Hawaii where this sport is extremely popular. I strongly recommend rehiring Coach Dorr because she is the best person for this position!

Mahalo,
XXXXXXXXX
Class of 1962"
puakobear1
Well said, thanks for taking the time!
SanseiBear
A good article that summarizes the journey of this year's women's volleyball's journey.

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/11/28/cal-volleyball-finishes-season-making-program-history/
OBear073akaSMFan
thanks for posting the article. Really think the key was the middle when they inserted Loren Forte in the middle. She with Anderson made it tougher for us in the middle. We won more games & games that we loss were more competitive too. Look forward to next year & hopefully with practically everyone returning we should be much better. Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.