Cal not chosen for NCAA water polo field

1,815 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chabbear
Jackieridgle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In what I'm sure will be controversial, Furd, UCLA and USC were chosen over Cal for NCAA tournament.
Schroeder71
When was the last time that Cal failed to receive an invite to the national championship playoff?
Polodad
That info is nt available on either the NCAA site or the Cal site. The 2015 team lost 7 games, so my bet is that team was not invited. the 2018 team lost 6 games and missed out. All but one of those losses were to the top 3 teams. MPSF only gets 3 teams in. This outcome is not surprising.
juarezbear
What killed us was SC losing to UCLA in the semis. Had SC won, I think we would've received a bid. Almost feels like SC tanked the game to avoid us in the NCAA semis.
waterbear
Yes usc losing to la hurt CAL. However, if you know Jovan, he doesn't tank. Playing ucla is not any easier than playing CAL. sc didn't show up yesterday against la and I am sure a lot of it had to do with losing to CAL.
IMO I think sc should have been left out. Yes they had the best regular season, however they lost two tournament games and that shouldn't be rewarded.
Ccajon2
I think that loss to Harvard oct 15 plus the fact that Cal finished 5--5 didn't help. We were 12-1 at one point in the season.
Jackieridgle
juarezbear said:

What killed us was SC losing to UCLA in the semis. Had SC won, I think we would've received a bid. Almost feels like SC tanked the game to avoid us in the NCAA semis.

Ironically, if Cal had finished 3rd(beating UCLA) instead of 2nd, they make the field.
rkt88edmo
Wasn't the MPSF not limited to three teams in the championship tourney prior to the move to a 4 team bracket in 1995?

The whole thing is a debacle when you have the four perennial power teams and one must be auto excluded. It would be like basketball going to a 16 team tourney and only allowing one team from each of the P5/6 conferences.

It is better now than the four team bracket, but really, it is a travesty.
Chabbear
I believe that there are only 22 D-1 water polo nationwide. We are lucky there still is a Ncaa championship in this sport

http://www.collegewaterpolocoach.org/mens-division-i-water-polo-programs.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.