Baseball's only chance for a series win

3,336 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Alkiadt
Baller4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baseball has seemed to have fallen off on the field and on this board. Seems like posters were more content about complaining how Esquer was not the right coach to lead this program in the right direction. Well all the complaints about his coaching and how he was a Stanford guy, well he seems to be a pretty damn good coach having the Cardinal #2 in the nation. I guess when you have a department that is committed to winning, and not mediocrity, you reap the rewards. Despite the battles that Esquer had to endure, especially that devil on his shoulder, Bob Milano, trying to undermine everything he was doing. I don't see the bashers of Esquer on here today supporting this program now that he is out, I guess they cannot take the job he is doing over at Stanford.

Again, I have stated before, last years team was tabbed by Esquer as a team to make a run for Omaha, and not to Telegraph for food which, is what they did under Neu.

The Bears on the other hand, not the same program that Esquer developed. This is probably the only weekend on paper that this team has a chance to win a series. However, it will not be easy, as even though the Cougs are 0 for conference in 2019, they still played the Cardinal tough last weekend.

If there is a time to turn things around, it is this weekend at least for momentum sake!
calbearinamaze
Baller4 said:

Baseball has seemed to have fallen off on the field and on this board. Seems like posters were more content about complaining how Esquer was not the right coach to lead this program in the right direction. Well all the complaints about his coaching and how he was a Stanford guy, well he seems to be a pretty damn good coach having the Cardinal #2 in the nation. I guess when you have a department that is committed to winning, and not mediocrity, you reap the rewards. Despite the battles that Esquer had to endure, especially that devil on his shoulder, Bob Milano, trying to undermine everything he was doing. I don't see the bashers of Esquer on here today supporting this program now that he is out, I guess they cannot take the job he is doing over at Stanford.

Again, I have stated before, last years team was tabbed by Esquer as a team to make a run for Omaha, and not to Telegraph for food which, is what they did under Neu.

The Bears on the other hand, not the same program that Esquer developed. This is probably the only weekend on paper that this team has a chance to win a series. However, it will not be easy, as even though the Cougs are 0 for conference in 2019, they still played the Cardinal tough last weekend.

If there is a time to turn things around, it is this weekend at least for momentum sake!
Just for the sake of having a discussion, the Cougs were outscored 29 to 8 against Stanfurd.
In what way did they play them tough?
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
OBear073akaSMFan
Baller4 said:

I don't think this discussion is no longer about Esquer because he his flown the coup. Yes there was lots of complaints about coach Esquer but given the opportunity I think he most likely wanted to get back to Palo Alto where they recruit on a national level compared to ours where are roster entirely made up of Californians with the exception of the injured Mcilwain. I think stanford might be happy with Esquer now but from my recollection at the time he was selected by Stanford to manage, the Bootleg peanut gallery were not over excited about him returning.

I think the Bears who started off slowly hitting have recently began to hit on a more consistent basis. Flower, Lee, Eden, and the inserting of Selma into the lineup, have up their averages after a dismal start. Starting pitching is still suspect. Yes Horn is back but their other starter Sabouri seems to be limited to only 2 innings per game. Their 3rd starter remains a TBA. What has been strong has been their relief pitching help keeping them in games. Hopefully the Bears will take care of business against the lowly WSU. I will be attending tonight's game. Go Bears!
OBear073akaSMFan
Cal does defeat WSU 6-0. Starter Arman Sabouri as usual puts in his 2 inning followed by Sam Stoutenborough who completes the shutout by pitching the last 7 innings. Hitting star was Korey Lee & John Lagattula each with 2 rbis. Andrew Vaughn has been struggling at the plate lately. Today he was 0-4 with an intentional walk. With his 2 KO tonight it gives him 18 which equal the total he had for all of last year! The year before he had only 24 KO for the year. Hopefully he gets it going soon.
calbearinamaze
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Cal does defeat WSU 6-0. Starter Arman Sabouri as usual puts in his 2 inning followed by Sam Stoutenborough who completes the shutout by pitching the last 7 innings. Hitting star was Korey Lee & John Lagattula each with 2 rbis. Andrew Vaughn has been struggling at the plate lately. Today he was 0-4 with an intentional walk. With his 2 KO tonight it gives him 18 which equal the total he had for all of last year! The year before he had only 24 KO for the year. Hopefully he gets in going soon.
Stoutenborough's ERA is down to 2.55

A freshman........is he considered a surprise? Stand-out HS stats.....was that against
weak opposition?

Vaughn batting .172 in last 8 games.
OBear073akaSMFan
BEARUPINDC said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

Stoutenborough's ERA is down to 2.55

A freshman........is he considered a surprise? Stand-out HS stats.....was that against
weak opposition?

Sabouri and Stoutenbourough seems to go as a tandem. Sabouri starts but Stoutenbourough follows. I think Stoutenbourough will be groom to be a starter especially with Grant Holman injured though Grant did pinch hit in the last Long Beach game. Right now the Bears don't seem to have a 3rd starter because probable starter in the 3rd game of the series is listed as TBA

Quote:

PROBABLE STARTERS
Friday, April 5
WSU: RHP Brandon White (2-3, 5.14)
Cal: LHP Arman Sabouri (2-2, 3.08)

Saturday, April 6
WSU: LHP A.J. Block (0-3, 5.34)
Cal: RHP Jared Horn (0-1, 2.40)

Sunday, April 7
LBSU: RHP Hayden Rosenkrantz (2-2, 5.12)
Cal: TBA

calbearinamaze
https://calbears.com/boxscore.aspx?id=24292

Horn pitches really well

OBear073akaSMFan
BEARUPINDC said:

Horn pitches really well

Yes he did. He gave up a homer to the first batter he faced to start the game but managed to shut them out for the next 8 innings. Cal blasted 4 homers for their 6 runs, including a homer tape measure homer to left. The left fielder didn't even move. Vaughn also had a double to deep right center. Maybe this will get him going.

Curious who will start Sunday's game. Will Cal come back with Arman Sabouri who pitched only 2 innings on Friday. Against Long Beach Arman started both the Friday and Sunday games going 2 inning in each.
calbearinamaze
OBear073akaSMFan said:

BEARUPINDC said:

Horn pitches really well

Yes he did. He gave up a homer to the first batter he faced to start the game but managed to shut them out for the next 8 innings. Cal blasted 4 homers for their 6 runs, including a homer tape measure homer to left. The left fielder didn't even move. Vaughn also had a double to deep right center. Maybe this will get him going.

Curious who will start Sunday's game. Will Cal come back with Arman Sabouri who pitched only 2 innings on Friday. Against Long Beach Arman started both the Friday and Sunday games going 2 inning in each.

When is Holman expected back...is there some timetable?

I see what you mean about the next starter up. Freshmen Scott and Gather are not ideal....to put
it really mildly.

How about Sabouri for two innings,Sullivan/Villers for three and Reyes for four? I know that's
sketchy, but......
OBear073akaSMFan
BEARUPINDC said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

BEARUPINDC said:

Horn pitches really well

I see what you mean about the next starter up. Freshmen Scott and Gather are not ideal....to put
it really mildly.

How about Sabouri for two innings,Sullivan/Villers for three and Reyes for four? I know that's
sketchy, but......
He actually back as a hitter. He pinched hit in the last LB game and yesterday he dh. Not sure what medical issues that kept him out for a number of games. Hope he can at least hit but without him we seem to be short on starters which is weird at this time of the year.
OBear073akaSMFan
BEARUPINDC said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

BEARUPINDC said:

Holman is starting the game today!
calbearinamaze
OBear073akaSMFan said:

BEARUPINDC said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

BEARUPINDC said:

Holman is starting the game today!

That's big deal. Thanks.

I'm trying to catch up on things....I just looked up Holman.
He's 6'6" 225 and a Freshman....I hadn't realized he was so young.
Larno
Completed the sweep 9-5. More home runs and Darren Baker putting up a great day with 3 hits and 3 stolen bases. To address some issues raised, this probably was the best opportunity for a series win but they have a good chance for some more. Difficult, though, as the league is incredibly good, with 4 teams in the Top Ten, including the top two. As the announcers pointed out Saturday, Cal has to win the series against teams they should beat (WSU, e.g.) and pull some games in the tough series to have a chance to make the post-season. With the league being so good a .500 league record could very well get them in. They have the hitting to hang with any team but the pitching is young. As was pointed out, and I'm not sure if this was a criticism, Cal has an all-California roster, with the exception of the injured McElwain, as opposed to Stanford with its more national roster. Well, Stanford recruits nationally, as they do for all sports, but there is no reason to have to cast a very large recruiting net for baseball as California has by far the most baseball talent of any state. I read a few years ago, and I'm not sure if this has changed or not, but in the Major Leagues there were more players from California than all the other states combined. Northern California by itself has more than any other state. So, the talent is there, the problem as always is just landing the top talent. And, sometimes you get an Andrew Vaughn who really catches fire. I enjoy watching the Bears play, regardless of who's coaching. I have no unrealistic expectations given the talent and the tradition and programs of some of the other schools. Remember, without a huge effort from some alums there would be no team at all.
Bear8995
I personally don't get the love affair the OP has for Esquer (perhaps she is Esquer's wife or relative?). I don't wish him well now that he is at the furd, but he was here for 14 years and did not accomplish much in my opinion. I rooted for him while he was here and while the furd is currently a highly ranked team, they were last year as well and didn't advance far in the playoffs.

If Neu can develop some pitching, we will be fine.
calbearinamaze
Holman 2 innings, Reyes 6 and Sabouri 1.

As long as it worked.
OBear073akaSMFan
Larno said:

As was pointed out, and I'm not sure if this was a criticism, Cal has an all-California roster, with the exception of the injured McElwain, as opposed to Stanford with its more national roster. Well, Stanford recruits nationally, as they do for all sports, but there is no reason to have to cast a very large recruiting net for baseball as California has by far the most baseball talent of any state. I read a few years ago, and I'm not sure if this has changed or not, but in the Major Leagues there were more players from California than all the other states combined. Northern California by itself has more than any other state. So, the talent is there, the problem as always is just landing the top talent. And, sometimes you get an Andrew Vaughn who really catches fire. I enjoy watching the Bears play, regardless of who's coaching.
Not meant to disrespect the California Players. I was just pointing out that the Furds recruiting casts a wider net, along with their budget, and Esquer affiliation with Stanford were reasons he left Cal. Yes I am happy that we recruit locally and when we find a gem like Vaughn. Not sure why people still bring up Esquer on this board cause as far as I'm concern he is long gone.
63Gaucho

Bears win their seventh game in a row tonight down in Tucson beating the Wildcats 107. Tough to win on the road down there especially against the hard-hitting Wildcats who have the best offensive stats in the league after ASU. Tomorrow night looking for Jared Horn to give the Bears the outstanding pitching he has shown the past month which brought his ERA down to 1.96.

Gosh, contrary to what a certain poster keeps saying maybe Coach Neu is the right guy for the job.

Go Bears!
socaliganbear
Can we stop the threads about a former coach no one cares about or even liked when he was here? This is a Cal forum, not a coach forum.
OBear073akaSMFan
socaliganbear said:

Can we stop the threads about a former coach no one cares about or even liked when he was here? This is a Cal forum, not a coach forum.
+1
GMP
Baller4 said:

Please, do tell us more.
Jackieridgle
Baller4 said:

So now that Cal has won its second series, are you gonna BE OK?
Alkiadt
They just beat the #1 team in the country.
Neu is doing a great job.

What was your point again?
Alkiadt
Bumped.... just because.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.