Cal announces new T&F Director -Robyne Johnson

8,225 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Schroeder71
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robyne was a local track star from Berkeley High School and went on to become a 5 times All-American at the University of Texas. For the past 14 years she has been the Director of Men's & Women's T&F & XC at Boston University, the same title she will have at CAL. I look forward to see of Robyne can resurrect the TF & XC program.

Robyne was a LJ & TJ in HS and College. It will be interesting to see who she hires

https://calbears.com/news/2019/6/12/robyne-johnson-named-director-of-track-field-cross-country.aspx

joe amos yaks
Most excellent.
Welcome Coach Johnson, and welcome back to Berkeley and to Cal.
Go Bears!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Polodad
Gender barriers falling. Good news.
Schroeder71
Robyne Johnson seems to be a perfect fit for Cal. I read the entire article and the new AD seems to have done an excellent job in this case. GO BEARS!
TrackLife
Kudos to AD Knowleton for making a SOLID hire!
DiabloWags
This hire makes a lot of sense on several levels.
Hopefully Coach Johnson can also attract some really good assistant coaches.

GATC
joe amos yaks said:

Most excellent.
Welcome Coach Johnson, and welcome back to Berkeley and to Cal.
Go Bears!
Looks like a really good choice. This will get me excited about T&F. Welcome Coach Johnson.

SFCityBear
Looks like a great hire. Local girl, fine athlete and good coach. She will have her work cut out for her, starting with average or below average teams and losing Edwards Field, with no plans to have a track and field facility on campus, last I heard.
SFCityBear
Intuit
Does the site have sufficient resources to produce an interview with the new T & F Director? It would be interesting to learn about her initial organizational actions and strategy. Will she discuss her plans to overcome the team's competitive performance shortfall. How will she allocate her resources and scholarships to attract and build a team that can complete in all the events? Does she believe spreading out partial scholarships is the best way to run the program? What will be the impact on the team if they loose access to Edwards stadium?
Harborview
DiabloWags
Intuit said:

Does the site have sufficient resources to produce an interview with the new T & F Director? It would be interesting to learn about her initial organizational actions and strategy. Will she discuss her plans to overcome the team's competitive performance shortfall. How will she allocate her resources and scholarships to attract and build a team that can complete in all the events? Does she believe spreading out partial scholarships is the best way to run the program? What will be the impact on the team if they loose access to Edwards stadium?

Excellent points!

I have 2 questions and they kind of go hand-in-hand with one another and dove-tail with yours.

My first question would be to ask how many scholarships does she have to work with.

Cal has never been a fully-funded program and has been well short of the maximum number of scholies allowed by the NCAA of 12.6 men and 18 for women. Is the new AD committed to fully funding T&F?

Sandy Barbour maintained that she wanted to be competitive at not just the conference level, but a NATIONAL level. Well that was pure BS because Cal has only been competitive at the national level once during the last two head coaches and that was in 2007 when all of the "stars were aligned" for Coach Chris Huffins in Sacramento with the women finishing at #8. Since then, there has been one bottom of the conference finish after another by both sides of the team... never mind at a National level.

My second question would be one of strategy.

Will the program continue to try and field a "balanced" team or one that would specialize in just a couple of disciplines, such as jumps and throws?

It never really made sense to me to try and run a "balanced" program given the lack of scholarship dollars and/or high profile coaches on staff. At times, I believe that Coach Sandoval had made an "effort" to not run a balanced program, but I don't think he was ever fully committed to that. There had been some "experiments" made along the way (such as in the pole vault and throws), but this would be my first question of Coach Johnson.

DiabloWags

The last time I checked (2013) the program was funded with 9.5 scholarships for Men while the Women had 14.5 scholarships. I believe that the NCAA currently allows for 12.6 and 18.

TrackLife
Coach Mike Gipson will not be retained.
Cal Junkie
TrackLife said:

Coach Mike Gipson will not be retained.

I liked him on a personal level seemed to get mixed results in the ultra-competitive PAC 12. Robyne coaches his events, so maybe she wants control of that area. Any news on the other assistants Shayla, Chas, Mo, Nick?
OBear073akaSMFan
Wow. Lots of Track old timers coming out of the closet. Elated for the change at the top? I'm stoked. Robyne must be aware of possible plans for Edward to leave a stable job of 14 years to come back home. Edwards was the perfect place because of accessible by public transportation.
OBear073akaSMFan
Looks like our jumping & multi-event coach Nike Newman is the first coach to leave.

OBear073akaSMFan
Looks like coach Shayla Houlihan, XC and distance coach is leaving.

Quote:

[url=https://twitter.com/ShaLayla][/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/ShaLayla][/url]Shayla Houlihan
@ShaLayla

The last 7 years have been one hell of a ride. It's people and moments like these that inspire me to love and work relentlessly hard. I'm not quite sure what the next chapter of life look like yet..

love you Annika bananicka

#lovehard #workhard #grateful #steeplechics

OBear073akaSMFan
coaches have been updated now on Calbears. Looks like Chas Davis, weight coach Mohamad Saatara, and volunteer coach Chris Smith have survive the purge..at least for now. Kind of expected that of Mohamad considering how well the weight people have performed since he has been here. Same with Chas who has been responsible for most of our distance recruits. It will be interesting to see who coach Robyne brings in as replacements.

https://calbears.com/roster.aspx?roster=1429&path=track
TrackLife
Chris Smith was not retained.

He had a conference champion and was a volunteer assistant coach. Doesnt make any sense.
DiabloWags
TrackLife said:

He had a conference champion and was a volunteer assistant coach. Doesnt make any sense.

I believe that Chris, in fact is being retained by the new head coach.
She did hire multi-event coach Dan Lefever who was at BU for one year.
He started out as a volunteer vault coach at Missouri and was at Missouri for 11 years up until 2016.

OBear073akaSMFan
DiabloWags said:

TrackLife said:

I believe that Chris, in fact is being retained by the new head coach.
She did hire multi-event coach Dan Lefever who was at BU for one year.
He started out as a volunteer vault coach at Missouri and was at Missouri for 11 years up until 2016.

I too looked at Bu's site and thought Dan Lefever was a possibility to be hired because he fits almost to a 'T' Nick Newman's position. Also there is a Distance coach on BU that might have been at Stanford at one time that could be a replacement for coach Shayla, or hoping perhaps Chas Davis will be promoted.
Intuit
Harborview
TrackLife
Cal names Bobby Lockhart to the Track & Field staff:

https://calbears.com/news/2019/8/12/cal-adds-bobby-lockhart-to-track-field-staff.aspx

He will be the X Country coach and serve as the middle-distance and distance coach.
Lockhart spent 10 years turning OK State into an XC powerhouse in 2009, 2010, and 2012 winning NCAA Titles in those years.

As some here may know, Lockhard coached Cal State Champ and phenom, German Fernandez to an NCAA 1500m title in 2009 while at OK State.

Lockhart is a Wisconsin alum and was an All-American for the Badgers.
He ran on the 2005 XC team for UW that won the NCAA Championship under head coach Jerry Schumacher.

OBear073akaSMFan
TrackLife said:

Cal names Bobby Lockhart to the Track & Field staff:

https://calbears.com/news/2019/8/12/cal-adds-bobby-lockhart-to-track-field-staff.aspx

He will be the X Country coach and serve as the middle-distance and distance coach.
Lockhart spent 10 years turning OK State into an XC powerhouse in 2009, 2010, and 2012 winning NCAA Titles in those years.

As some here may know, Lockhard coached Cal State Champ and phenom, German Fernandez to an NCAA 1500m title in 2009 while at OK State.

Lockhart is a Wisconsin alum and was an All-American for the Badgers.
He ran on the 2005 XC team for UW that won the NCAA Championship under head coach Jerry Schumacher.

Think he is a great addition to the staff, for coaching and recruiting! Only coaching still needed to round out the staff is a sprinting/hurdler coach. Women sprint team in underrated and really looking forward to see who replaces coach Gibson.
OBear073akaSMFan
OBear073akaSMFan said:

TrackLife said:

Think he is a great addition to the staff, for coaching and recruiting! Only coaching still needed to round out the staff is a sprinting/hurdler coach. Women sprint team in underrated and really looking forward to see who replaces coach Gibson.

Robyne completed her staff with the signing of former local athlete (from McClymonds) Charles Ryan who will be coaching the sprinters, hurdlers, and relays. He went to UCLA for 2 years and later transfer to the the University of South Carolina where he was an all-american in the hurdles.

Also looks like Cal has loss Tyler Brendel (Multi-events) who transferred to Arkansas and also might have loss Lauren Martinez Cal's record holder in the PV 14-1.25 to Arkansas too. She graduated last year but did not compete in 2019. She could possibly be a graduate student at Arkansas too? Only one announced by UARK has been Tyler. Lauren possible Grad Transfer or maybe just a girlfriend.

posted from their friend
Quote:

Enjoying dinner with these two All-Americans before they head out to their next adventure at Univ of Arkansas!

OBear073akaSMFan
OBear073akaSMFan said:

OBear073akaSMFan said:

TrackLife said:

Robyne completed her staff with the signing of former local athlete (from McClymonds) Charles Ryan who will be coaching the sprinters, hurdlers, and relays. He went to UCLA for 2 years and later transfer to the the University of South Carolina where he was an all-american in the hurdles.

Also looks like Cal has loss Tyler Brendel (Multi-events) who transferred to Arkansas and also might have loss Lauren Martinez Cal's record holder in the PV 14-1.25 to Arkansas too. She graduated last year but did not compete in 2019. She could possibly be a graduate student at Arkansas too? Only one announced by UARK has been Tyler. Lauren possible Grad Transfer or maybe just a girlfriend.

posted from their friend
Quote:

Enjoying dinner with these two All-Americans before they head out to their next adventure at Univ of Arkansas!

It's official Cal's PV record holder Lauren Martinez is now listed on the University of Arkansas 2019-2020 roster. She did not compete at Cal last year due to an injury.

OBear073akaSMFan
Chas Davis formerly the XC & distances coach/recruiter has been hired as Head XC coach at Holy Names College in Oakland. Thought it would had been a matter of time after Bobby Lockhart was hired. Only coach reminding from Tony Sandoval staff is weight coach Mohamad Saatara. With the strength of our weight program I don't see him leaving for a while.

Best of luck to CHas https://hnuhawks.com/news/2020/5/4/chas-davis-hired-as-head-coach-for-hnu-mens-and-womens-cross-country.aspx

BayAreaClubCoach
I just noticed Davis left and looking more into it led me here. That's too bad for the Bears but I'm glad he's sticking around the Bay Area with his own show now. Always a class act and good to my athletes. Anyone know who they're replacing him with? Is this also the year we lose our throws coach? Hope not! GO BEARS!
Cal Junkie
BayAreaClubCoach said:

I just noticed Davis left and looking more into it led me here. That's too bad for the Bears but I'm glad he's sticking around the Bay Area with his own show now. Always a class act and good to my athletes. Anyone know who they're replacing him with? Is this also the year we lose our throws coach? Hope not! GO BEARS!
What club do you coach? I coach Strawberry Canyon TC.
Schroeder71
It's sad that top T&F athletes feel compelled to split from Cal. When was the last time that this was not the case in Berkeley?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.