New SB pitching coach??

2,411 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jackisback
59bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Presumably Selden is out. Did I miss something? We've come a long way (and not the right direction?) from Chuck D'Arcy.
Schroeder71
https://calbears.com/news/2019/7/15/cal-adds-phd-to-softball-staff.aspx?path=softball

No, 59bear, you're thinking the same question that I am? I have not heard anything about the dismissal of Jelly
Seldon as pitching coach. One would think that a hitting instructor would be added to the staff if Ninemire can afford another coach...Maybe a softball insider can "clue" you & me in on this new hire. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Our new pitching coach was responsible for a staff that went 18-35 last year in the ACC.

I don't know how many times it can be said on this board. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FIRE NINEMIRE.

We have so many talented former recruits. Zero reason to be missing the NCAA tournament and- when making it in- winning one game before getting bounced.
Jackisback
Jelly Seldon is gone, though she was the only member of the staff worth retaining.
Gkhoury2325
Jackisback said:

Jelly Seldon is gone, though she was the only member of the staff worth retaining.

Did Seldon leave on her own or did she get
Relieved of her duties?
SFCALBear72
Wow!! Ninemire must have really convinced AD Knowlton that pitching was the source of the team's woes during her evaluation meeting. Never mind poor hitting or coaching. Hope he upped her performance goals.
Jackisback
"Did Seldon leave on her own or did she get Relieved of her duties?"

I don't have any details, only that she is gone.

Regarding DN, my understanding is there was a previous legal result (settlement or determination) that essentially makes her untouchable. I have not been able to find any details, but comments I have seen within the softball community support that conclusion. In essence, she will leave when she chooses to, and not before. I'm not sure the AD really has a say...
Gkhoury2325
That is absolutely crazy. I'm sure Seldon read writing on the wall and was out. This team needs a hitting coach so bad and new direction.

Thanks for the information.
Intuit
Jackisback,

Would you please clarify the claim you made regarding DN's contractual relationship with Cal. What precipitates her working under an evergreen coaching contract? .

When the softball team was regularly competing for NCAA recognition her contract was likely not subject to scrutiny by any but the most senior university decision makers. Now, however, with their embarrassing record DN is wearing a well deserved target on her broad back.

An evergreen contract of the type you suggest exists is sure to enflame all those who are unhappy with the program current status. Please provide the context or background that explains the contractual relationship between DN and Cal..

Harborview
Jackisback
I don't have any details of DN's contract and make no claim regarding it. What I have read on softball forums is that there was a conclusion to a discrimination claim years back (settlement or ruling, I know not which) that essentially makes DN untouchable by the University. It was a claim (without citation) that I first heard four or five years ago and which was recently repeated, made by someone with decades of experience within the college and travel softball communities. You are welcome to describe this as my repeating a rumor, something that rarely happens around here...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.