Men's Water Polo

1,735 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by waterbear
juarezbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw they lost to UCSB and UCD. What's happening? I can't remember them losing to either team....
Polodad
I did not see the game but the stat sheet is telling. Cal played 17 field players, including 6 freshmen, and had a true frosh in goal. Cal had 4 players excluded from the match (3 exclusion fouls and you sit). Davis put 33 shots on goal. That is a lot of shots on the goalie. This suggests that with large freshman class Kirk is searching for an effective rotation, and may still be looking at which goalie to ride through the heart of the season. With these two losses early, this team will have to string a lot of wins to make the tournament.
Schroeder71
The team (3-3) lost today to #6 Pacific by two goals. They have also lost to #7 UCSB & #11 UC Davis by 3 points each. I recall Cal losing to UOP before but never to these fellow UC schools. I'm a UCSB alum so I think that I would have noticed losing to the Gauchos...Defense appears weaker than normal, yielding huge goal totals in the last two losses. For Cal to lose to number 11 UC Davis by three goals likely means the Bears will fall in the rankings.

Bears do have 10 newbies (2 junior transfers + 8 frosh) being integrated into the lineup. Senior goalie Carelli returns in case the coach decides not to stay with frosh Weinberg. I am unaware of the team injury situation so that needs to be factored in, too.

https://calbears.com/schedule.aspx?path=mwpolo

GO BEARS!
ncbears
I don't know what this means but Santa Barbara just beat #1 USC 13-9
Polodad
Santa Barbara is better than anyone thought. A 3+ goal spread is significant.
Looperbear
Cal fell behind the big 4 last year and now due to the scandal USC has dropped off. Looks like Stanford and UCLA are the top 2 this year.
91Cal
They are healthy and have a UCLA transfer in goal who was in at least 3 JOs gold medal matches prior to college...if he's playing to his potential and they stay healthy they are definitely a threat to stay in the top 4.

Cal played with an intensity Sunday that they did not have Saturday. UOP's outside shooters killed them when it mattered most and Cal couldn't answer at the end...the opportunities seemed to be there. Hope this team learns to convert. The freshman keeper definitely seems good enough and the new Greek 2m is the real deal.
juarezbear
Polodad said:

Santa Barbara is better than anyone thought. A 3+ goal spread is significant.
Isn't a former Bear their coach?
Polodad
Wolf Wigo coaches UCSB. Furd.
waterbear
No SB is coached by Wolf Wigo who played at stanfurd.
CAL has one injury in Soph Marko Valecic. I spoke with home yesterday before the game and he said he may come back next weekend at the Davis tournament.
They have a lot of talent but are young like already stated. Weinberg is the most talented of all the goalies. He needs a little time to adjust the the speed of the game. I've had the opportunity to coach the kid at various times since he was in 7th or 8th grade. He is very talented.
With youth there are always growing pains!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.