CAL vs USC

1,776 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bearchamp
HateRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very little energy from CAL in volleyball tonight. I hope they come back to win.
OBear073akaSMFan
down 2 sets going into game 3. Games down south will be tough, as Furds are swept by UCLA in 3 sets!
ncbears
Sigh. Missed the match as I was at USC-Colorado football game. Saw last bit of set four so I cant comment on wha happened. Announcers said SC took away Cal's middle.
berknolongerclaimusc82
Just returned from the Galen Center (11:23PM Pacific). The most glaring reasons the Lady Bears lost was USC's blocking was absolutely dominant resulting in stretches where we literally couldn't score and the second reason: KHALIA LANIER. That woman was "Army of Me" personified. We had noting for her in terms of a defensive response. In terms of energy, the only Bear that seemed like she wasn't asleep the entire match and had the requisite energy needed to win against a team with the talent of USC was Maddie. Hoping the ladies regroup because UCLA will be beyond pumped after sweeping Stanford tonight.
wvitbear
Have been worried about this for awhile. Felt we would probably get swept down there. I don't feel we have been playing as well lately. And we are playing two very good teams.
ncbears
berkusc82 said:

Just returned from the Galen Center (11:23PM Pacific). The most glaring reasons the Lady Bears lost was USC's blocking was absolutely dominant resulting in stretches where we literally couldn't score and the second reason: KHALIA LANIER. That woman was "Army of Me" personified. We had noting for her in terms of a defensive response. In terms of energy, the only Bear that seemed like she wasn't asleep the entire match and had the requisite energy needed to win against a team with the talent of USC was Maddie. Hoping the ladies regroup because UCLA will be beyond pumped after sweeping Stanford tonight.
Bears have survived army of me personified against Utah (Daws) and Colorado (Spann) - Usually, the other team doesn't have enough outside that army of one to prevail. I guess that didn't hold true last night.

But, yikes, looked at the box score and Forte had only 16 attacks and hit negative. Anderson with only 5 attacks. The announcers weren't kidding when I heard them say USC took away Cal's middle attack. And MM hit only 087 with 10 errors.
berknolongerclaimusc82
"Bears have survived army of me personified against Utah (Daws) and Colorado (Spann) - Usually, the other team doesn't have enough outside that army of one to prevail. I guess that didn't hold true last night." - ncbears

Yes indeed, ncbears, and the element (fortunately), that was missing for those teams ,in addition to a great offensive performance from an individual player, was shut-down blocking. USC was incredible last night with their block. I was simultaneously impressed just being a volleyball fan, but of course, frustrated, because I'm a Cal fan and we were on the receiving end. Couple that with the fact we simply could not even slow down Khalia Lanier, and we never seemed in the game. Nonetheless, Stanford upset or not, I still believe in this team and believe they go into Pauley Pavilion and win tomorrow.
bearchamp
"Lady Bears" to Baylor. Golden Bears go UC Berkeley.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.