Softball SID/CalBears.Com --- Continued Incompetence

4,927 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Schroeder71
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been well documented on this board how absolutely poor the communication is with this specific team but... dear lord.

No write up announcing the transfer of former HS All-American Romero to Cal.

No write up announcing the 2020 class. All top programs had announcements ready Day 1 of signing.

Cal deserves a 21st century coach with a 21st century program.
OBear073akaSMFan
Sent an email to the Communication Director of SB. Lets see if there are any responses. BTW first I've heard of Romero but she wasn't too impressive in her freshmen yr at Texas. Of course..though it was only her first year. Since she was a HS all-american I assume she was a stud high school.
gmunay
CalFanatic said:

It's been well documented on this board how absolutely poor the communication is with this specific team but... dear lord.

No write up announcing the transfer of former HS All-American Romero to Cal.

No write up announcing the 2020 class. All top programs had announcements ready Day 1 of signing.

Cal deserves a 21st century coach with a 21st century program.
Great point to bring up. For comparison, even Davis has an article on their 2020 class posted. Inexcusable that our signees are not given the same welcome.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/11/19/softball-inks-four-during-november-signing-period.aspx
OBear073akaSMFan
Got this response from Tim Miguel

Quote:

Hi XXXXXR,

I'm working with our coaching staff on the announcement of the signing class. There will be a news release distributed once we have received all of our NLIs.

Thanks,

CalFanatic
I'll never forget when I had to write in and correct them on how they were calculating stats. ERA WAS BEING INCORRECTLY CALCULATED. This is basic math.

A softball program that can't calculate basic statistics has serious issues. This is the #1 public university in the world and a former top program (no more). Sad to see what has happened to it.
Schroeder71
CF-do teams ever withdraw scholarship offers because of poor athletic performance? Cal has two younger siblings (legacy recruits) as part of the 2020 recruit class that probably don't deserve a Pac 12 (9) offers. As most of us know that follow softball recruiting, the majority of top prospects obtain verbal commitment offers as freshman or sophomores in high school. On occasion, an 8th grader is actually pursued...Young female athletes develop a great deal between the ages of 14-18.

I won't mention their names but HC Ninemire had 5 verbals for the class of 2020. Only three appear to possess Div I talent.
GO BEARS!
gmunay
Schroeder71 said:

CF-do teams ever withdraw scholarship offers because of poor athletic performance? Cal has two younger siblings (legacy recruits) as part of the 2020 recruit class that probably don't deserve a Pac 12 (9) offers. As most of us know that follow softball recruiting, the majority of top prospects obtain verbal commitment offers as freshman or sophomores in high school. On occasion, an 8th grader is actually pursued...Young female athletes develop a great deal between the ages of 14-18.

I won't mention their names but HC Ninemire had 5 verbals for the class of 2020. Only three appear to possess Div I talent.
GO BEARS!
Rather than pull offers, I think it's more common for schools to encourage kids to look elsewhere if they no longer fit the program's plans or expectations.

Also D1 schools can no longer extend offers to players before 9/1 of their junior year so maybe this will help avoid recruiting mistakes?

Edit - looks like 3 NLI's are in per the Cal Softball Facebook page. Holland, Archer and Kondo
GATC
Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!
This season is going to be brutal. Maybe it is good that there are no home games. Don't HOF coaches retire?
Schroeder71
gmunay-thank you for the update on a recruiting change that I was unaware of. It must have happened recently because not long ago there were some stories out about major programs seeking 6th-7th or 8th graders. The new rule certainly makes sense to me.

The two bigtime recruits are CF Diamond Holland & C Alexis Bishop. The Bears have four catchers right now so I hope that Bishop didn't change her mind about Cal as her destination. Infielder Amanda Kondo is the third sister coming to Berkeley from Carlmont HS (CCS). Hayley Archer is a RHP pitcher coming west from New Jersey. Hopefully-Ninemire is waiting on the San Marin HS star to make up her mind. I'm pumped that Archbishop Mitty's Holland will be a Bear! GO BEARS!
calbearsfan
Anybody here if they're playing any home games somewhere in the Bay Area?
gmunay
Schroeder71 said:

gmunay-thank you for the update on a recruiting change that I was unaware of. It must have happened recently because not long ago there were some stories out about major programs seeking 6th-7th or 8th graders. The new rule certainly makes sense to me.

The change went into effect in either April or May 2018 - right before the summer travel ball season started. Plenty of programs including Cal got some really young verbals in just before the rule got changed. Coaches knew the change was imminent and seemed to want to lock up some kids before they couldn't talk to them for several years! Cal received the verbal from the 7th grader from AZ and I believe Florida received a verbal from a 6th grader.

I agree that the rule change is a huge improvement since I don't think kids at that age can make a truly informed decision about their future college. Too much can happen over the next couple years and as a result, many of those really early verbals don't stick anyways.

BTW - Bishop is still showing as a Cal commit on her club's site so hopefully nothing has changed.
calbearinamaze
CalFanatic said:

I'll never forget when I had to write in and correct them on how they were calculating stats. ERA WAS BEING INCORRECTLY CALCULATED. This is basic math.

A softball program that can't calculate basic statistics has serious issues. This is the #1 public university in the world and a former top program (no more). Sad to see what has happened to it.
Can't they pass stuff by a freshman math/stat/econ/etc. student? Did they get winning percentage right????
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
kc1121
Yeah one of bishop's travel ball teammates was listed as a Cal commit previously, but not anymore
gmunay
kc1121 said:

Yeah one of bishop's travel ball teammates was listed as a Cal commit previously, but not anymore

I noticed that too. I thought she was still showing as a Cal commit not too long ago.
kc1121
Yeah I only noticed it a bit before NLI day, maybe too many C/Ci on the roster already. She's playing in the showcase this weekend, doesn't look like bishop is
CalFanatic
Guess we are still waiting on other NLI's for this...early signing period. Three weeks after the fact. Kudos to the Women's Basketball Team for showing how a press release should be done.

CalFanatic
kc1121 said:

The catcher from Alhambra, Isabella Emerling. I have not heard of any decommit but you are right- she does not appear to be listed as a Cal verbal.

One thing to note-she still has two years left of HS ball. She wouldn't be part of this class.
bobbk
Just an FYI there is no early signing period anymore. Except WBB MBB and FB. All other sports go on thru the year.
kc1121
It says UNC on her travel team profile now
BearinOC
bobbk said:

Just an FYI there is no early signing period anymore. Except WBB MBB and FB. All other sports go on thru the year.
What do you mean? My daughter signed her LOI in November as did all of the other softball players.
kc1121
Yup.. volleyball too
OBear073akaSMFan
BearinOC said:

bobbk said:

What do you mean? My daughter signed her LOI in November as did all of the other softball players.
I think Bobbk meant all other sports except WBB MBB and FB have signing periods from Nov 13 thru Aug 1 2020.For these sports only one signing period for these sports.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html
Schroeder71
Softball opener is in 5 weeks (02/06)! The initial two weekends of five games each in Miami, Florida and @Fresno State don't appear to be too daunting... Of course, Cal has ten new players and a pitching staff that is completely unproven. If soph southpaw Alex Perez and the three other *new RHPs* can keep the Bears in the games, I have a feeling that our offense might be much improved this season. Cal possibly could even possess some power in 2020! The recruit class for 2020 (next fall) still has not been officially announced. Ninemire is unorthodox if she's anything...

https://calbears.com/sports/softball/schedule
GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
Didn't both our pitchers graduate?
Schroeder71
Yes-Kamalani Dung & Zoe Conley split 308 innings as the two stalwarts on the staff. Alex Perez pitched decently in her limited freshman appearances.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.