Cal Baseball

4,698 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Krugman Is A Moron
santacruzbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Linked is a great, long article on Cal Baseball from The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/1549062/2020/01/21/as-players-owe-a-debt-to-the-rejuvenated-cal-baseball-program-and-vice-versa/
calbearinamaze
santacruzbear said:

https://theathletic.com/1549062/2020/01/21/as-players-owe-a-debt-to-the-rejuvenated-cal-baseball-program-and-vice-versa/
Wonderful article.

Thank you.
Baller4
santacruzbear said:

Let's not forget, Esquer revamped this program, not Neu!!!! Also, let's not forget before Esquer started churning out MLB talent out of this program. Cal's high profile player was Jeff Kent. Kent would not come around because of his hatred for the so called great Bob Milano, who tried to sabotage Esquer's time here at Cal. Kent went so far as to donate to the softball program. Esquer brought Kent back to the program. Neu takes credit for every recruit while he worked for Esquer. Players don't pick a program for the recruiting coordinator!
calbearinamaze
Baller4 said:

santacruzbear said:

Let's not forget, Esquer revamped this program, not Neu!!!! Also, let's not forget before Esquer started churning out MLB talent out of this program. Cal's high profile player was Jeff Kent. Kent would not come around because of his hatred for the so called great Bob Milano, who tried to sabotage Esquer's time here at Cal. Kent went so far as to donate to the softball program. Esquer brought Kent back to the program. Neu takes credit for every recruit while he worked for Esquer. Players don't pick a program for the recruiting coordinator!
Whatever. It's still a great article.
OBear073akaSMFan
Thank you coach Neu!
Larno
Does anyone know or even better have played for Bob Milano? He sometimes does color commentary for live streamed Cal baseball games and he comes across as a bitter old man who doesn't provide color so much as criticizing coaching and pointing out player errors.
Baller4
Larno said:

Does anyone know or even better have played for Bob Milano? He sometimes does color commentary for live streamed Cal baseball games and he comes across as a bitter old man who doesn't provide color so much as criticizing coaching and pointing out player errors.
Here is the extent of his bitterness. No players came back and Esquer got Jeff Kent back to the program. His antics continued after this was published.

Neu is Milano's fav because Milano tried to recruit him. Neu was pushed on Esquer after Hubbs left the program. Neu left this program to have 2 crappy seasons at UOP. Ryan Garko has surpassed Neu's W-L record since taking over. Esquer made this program respectful, not Neu. Keep riding Esquer's tails Neu!!!!

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Former-Cal-coach-pushed-boycott-of-fundraising-2367626.php

And for all your Esquer haters still here, he has accomplished more in his 2 years at an institution that backs its program and is not a cluster F*&k like it is here! So if he was such a bad manager, why is he winning? Take a look at the institution, but in the is case take a look at Neu as well. Esquer's teams competed despite the lack of a facility. Neu could not have gotten lights on his own, that was under Esquer reign!!!!! Easy to walk into a program on the rise, than bring it to the rise. Cal Fans have unrealistic expectations because you are not winners and don't know how to create a winner. This institution wants to win, but does not know how to win. That is what hurts these coaches!!!!!
GATC
Baller4 said:

Larno said:

Here is the extent of his bitterness. No players came back and Esquer got Jeff Kent back to the program. His antics continued after this was published.

Neu is Milano's fav because Milano tried to recruit him. Neu was pushed on Esquer after Hubbs left the program. Neu left this program to have 2 crappy seasons at UOP. Ryan Garko has surpassed Neu's W-L record since taking over. Esquer made this program respectful, not Neu. Keep riding Esquer's tails Neu!!!!

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Former-Cal-coach-pushed-boycott-of-fundraising-2367626.php

And for all your Esquer haters still here, he has accomplished more in his 2 years at an institution that backs its program and is not a cluster F*&k like it is here! So if he was such a bad manager, why is he winning? Take a look at the institution, but in the is case take a look at Neu as well. Esquer's teams competed despite the lack of a facility. Neu could not have gotten lights on his own, that was under Esquer reign!!!!! Easy to walk into a program on the rise, than bring it to the rise. Cal Fans have unrealistic expectations because you are not winners and don't know how to create a winner. This institution wants to win, but does not know how to win. That is what hurts these coaches!!!!!
Milano sucks, Esquer great, Neu sucks. I think I got it.
SpartanBear20
1-3 start to the season after losing the Big West road trip, first the series at Long Beach State (who finished 14-41 last season) then the one-off at UC Santa Barbara (a team receiving votes in the preseason coaches' poll).

Cal led 6-4 in the fifth, before the pitching imploded and gave up eight runs to UCSB.

In fairness, the Big West is a quality baseball conference that has multiple teams receiving preseason votes and multiple postseason bids; in fact that school on the other side of the water lost two out of three at home to Cal State Fullerton. But losing a midweek game by 10 at UCSB still does not bode well for Pac-12 play.
StillABear1
I watched much of the game on Big West TV. While the Big West is a high quality conference and UCSB is a great program now with a top notch coach in Andrew Checketts, cal was beaten badly last night due to a series of seeing eye hits that resulted in base runners constantly moving up into scoring position due to fundamental breakdowns in the Cal defense, particularly the outfield.

The box score shows only one error but it does not tell the story. I'm sure Mike Neu was very unhappy with their play last night. Cal was thoroughly beaten after taking a 6-2 lead early. UCSB is fielding a relatively new and young team after having 10+ players drafted last year. Their frosh middle inning pitcher really shut us down and then the Gaucho onslaught offensively resulted in the 10 run differential.
SpartanBear20
Cal baseball now 1-4, lost 10-6 vs. St. John's (31-23 in 2019). Sophomore Sam Stoutenborough takes the L to the team from the Brooklyn borough.

Meanwhile, the Red Team is also 1-4 after getting blown out 11-4 at Houston. So the upcoming midweek rivalry game is gonna be quite unexciting.
SpartanBear20
11-7 win to conclude the St John's series. Here is video of Quentin Selma's go ahead 3 run homer:

Meanwhile, Tuesday's opponent Stanford lost the entire Round Rock, TX tournament to Houston, Texas Tech, and Tennessee. So the midweek rivalry game will be against a 2-5 and 1-6 team, not the most exciting.
Krugman Is A Moron
SpartanBear20 said:

11-7 win to conclude the St John's series. Here is video of Quentin Selma's go ahead 3 run homer:

Meanwhile, Tuesday's opponent Stanford lost the entire Round Rock, TX tournament to Houston, Texas Tech, and Tennessee. So the midweek rivalry game will be against a 2-5 and 1-6 team, not the most exciting.
I see David Esquer is taking their program to similar heights where he took us.
HoopDreams
cal beats stanford

HoopDreams
happy for him...

Baller4
Matthew Patel said:

SpartanBear20 said:

So this is the year Esquer will feel the Marques retirement announcement when he and his staff did 0 recruiting.
There was no guarantee that anyone from Marques' staff was going to be back, so they did nothing for the incoming coach to work with, and this is the year.

What is Neu'e excuse? Ole Mike took credit for every recruit, including Vaughn. So now we know who developed all the players that Neu is taking credit for!!!!

You know, I don't think ole Mike is the coach to take us to the next level!!!!
SpartanBear20
Having become a Cal employee last September and lived in Ann Arbor in the mid 90s as a little kid, I went to my first Cal baseball game vs Michigan on Wed night.

Both teams had 7 hits each, but Michigan's hits actually led to runs, five in fact. Michigan was able to send a hit out of the park, but Cal had deep balls turn into fly outs. Somehow, Cal blew out a Stanford team that stole a win over Michigan due to one error giving away three runs...but came out flatter than a sheet of paper vs. Michigan.

At this rate, I'm not sure if Cal can even beat USF or SJSU!

But Evans Diamond is a nice venue with great surroundings. I wonder who at the nearby cogeneration plant has to retrieve foul balls off the roof. I even saw one foul ball almost hit a window at Haas Pavilion.
SpartanBear20
Cal now 3-10 with 5 Ls in a row, losing 3-1 vs the Dons of USF (7-7 including Ls to SJSU and other Cal State teams).
Chabbear
Don't disparage all of the Cal State Schools, we can only dream of being as successful as Cal State Fullerton (4 NCAA championships) and even Fresno State with one. Of course, this year we have only played one Cal State, losing 2 of 3 to the dirtbags of Long Beach State ranked 17th and 9-4.
SpartanBear20
Final from Benedetti Diamond: Cal 6, USF 1. Grant Holman (1-3) got his first W of the season.
SpartanBear20
Cal led 3-0 entering the 7th, but USF tied the game in the 9th and scored 5 in the 10th to win the Bay Bridge series rubber match 8-3. A wild pitch gave away the tying run with one out in the 9th, and USF hit a three-run homer in the 10th to jump ahead for good.

Cal is 4-11; USF is 8-8. Next game will be a $2 Tuesday game (meaning general admission tickets are just $2) vs. a 5-11 San Jose State team that just got swept by defending WCC Tournament champion Loyola Marymount. First pitch at 6. You guessed it, I will go to the game both because of the price and the opponent.
SpartanBear20
I just got back from Cal's 9-8 win over San Jose State. It was an entertaining game from start to finish, well worth the $2 ticket plus the $11 I spent on food.

Cal did a good job bouncing back after SJSU 5-spotted them in the sixth. SJSU played better than their 5-12 record and 6-game losing streak may suggest. Having followed SJSU throughout the season, I've seen plenty of games where their offense starts fast for a few innings but limps for the rest of the game. This time, SJSU's offense was consistently able to find ways to get guys on base and put together a string of hits. However, Cal had the better midweek rotation on the mound as I'd expect for a Pac-12 team compared to Mountain West.

There was a scary moment at the very first pitch at the T7th where Holman took a pitch to the face and stumbled to the ground. He was helped off the field while covering his face with a towel, and a staffer had to clean blood (or some other debris) from home plate before play could resume.

This win should give Cal confidence heading into the Pac 12 opening series this weekend at Washington State, a 9-7 team that got whooped 15-3 by Gonzaga tonight.
Krugman Is A Moron
Baller4 said:

Matthew Patel said:

SpartanBear20 said:

So this is the year Esquer will feel the Marques retirement announcement when he and his staff did 0 recruiting.
There was no guarantee that anyone from Marques' staff was going to be back, so they did nothing for the incoming coach to work with, and this is the year.

What is Neu'e excuse? Ole Mike took credit for every recruit, including Vaughn. So now we know who developed all the players that Neu is taking credit for!!!!

You know, I don't think ole Mike is the coach to take us to the next level!!!!
https://i.ibb.co/Fw1k0bs/2018-Pac-12-Baseball-Standings.png
https://i.ibb.co/987GTkT/2019-Pac-12-Baseball-Standings.png

Neu's 64 victories in his first two seasons is better than any two year period that Esquer had in his first ten seasons at Cal.

You know, I think Ole Mike will be just fine!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.