Cal softball travels to Fresno State for 5 games this weekend (link)

5,250 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearinOC
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://gobulldogs.com/sports/2019/3/20/fresno-state-invitational-tournament-central.aspx

If we can access the Mountain West Network, Cal fans should be able to see every game. Fresno State knows
how to run their athletics department! GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Romero in the circle for Cal this AM. Still no Halajian this season. Hope she's okay. She is very, very talented.
Schroeder71
CF---are you receiving the live broadcast ? I've tried the MWNetwork and all I'm getting is a spinning white circle. I have been been able to locate live stats for the Saint Mary's game via the Gael's website. Sorry to bother you about this issue...GO BEARS!
BearinOC
Schroeder71 said:

CF---are you receiving the live broadcast ? I've tried the MWNetwork and all I'm getting is a spinning white circle. I have been been able to locate a live stats for the Saint Mary's game via the Gael's website. Sorry to bother you about this issue...GO BEARS!
+1
BearinOC
It's on now
Schroeder71
I picked up the live stream in the B2nd.

Cal employs mercy rule, 9-0 (5 innings)! Chloe Romero hurls one hit 5 IP shutout w/ 7 Ks.
https://calbears.com/documents/2020/2/14//C_SMC_Box.pdf

GO BEARS!
BearinOC
She has a pretty nice riseball
Schroeder71
Soph southpaw Alex Perez also tossed a one-hit shutout, 8-0, over Fordham in the 5 inning nitecap.

https://calbears.com/documents/2020/2/14//F_C_Box.pdf

Bear batters generated 8 runs on 10 hits. The hitting star was frosh D'Asha Saiki who was a perfect 3-3 with 5 RBIs.

Tomorrow Cal has another DH with St Marys Gaels in the opener and the Fresno State Bulldogs in the nitecap.
GO BEARS!
Post removed:
by user
wvitbear
Not as good as in past years.

Fresno will probably be the toughest team in this venue.
CalFanatic
Lung was one hell of a prep pitcher. I'm sure she throws against Cal today.
Schroeder71
Cal does not have an approach to hit a change-up pitcher. Bears jumped out to 3-0 lead in B1st. St Marys brought in a freshmen that throws two change-ups minimum to every batter and the Cal offense has disappeared. The Gaels have tightened the score to 3-2. SMU defeated Cal Poly 6-3 in the game that preceeded this one. Ninemire is playing some reserves, too. Kacey Zobac has her second consecutive game off. DH Lauren Espalin is also resting along with RF Aleia Agbayani.

If one knows that they''ll see multiple change-ups, why not sit on that pitch? Cal is looking for the fastball and either striking out or swinging softly at it, failing to do damage. This is where a hitting coach in NEEDED!
CalFanatic
No kidding. This hitting approach is painful. Sit on the freaking changeup!
CalFanatic
SMC just switched pitchers, surprisingly. Might've just thrown a lifeline to Cal.
CalFanatic
and I was right- Yingling with the first real contact in innings. RBI! Cal up 4-2
Post removed:
by user
Schroeder71
Candace Yingling still has not started any of the 8 games for Cal but is perfect in four ABs! She is three for three plus a sacrifice fly to CF. Ninemire-give this young lady a start at 1B please! Geez. GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Stanford Jonah said:

I miss watching Veronica Nelson crush home runs. That was a fun time.
20 years ago everyone wanted to go to Cal, Ucla or U of A (and to some extent Washington). We could get all of the best talent. Ninemire has refused to evolve with the game and- due to the emergence of the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12- we've declined.

Something else just feels off about the program... I think back to those 2002 to 2006 teams. Those teams were scrappy. They played with heart. That spark is missing. I hope Chelsea Spencer is given a serious look as HC when Ninemire (hopefully) retires. She has done an incredible job as an Assistant and god...what a shortstop. The middle infield of Spencer and Pamanian was unreal.
SpartanBear20
Cal just lost 5-2 to Cal Poly...a team that went 11-40 last year. Add that to the "bad L" list on top of FIU (26-25, 7-16 C-USA in 2019) and Penn State (24-32, 7-16 Big Ten in 2019).
CalFanatic
Yep. Not surprised. Ninemire is collecting her coin and completely protected from any firing-due to a previous lawsuit. She just doesn't care anymore. I feel heartbroken for the program.
Ccajon2

Again I've got to stop being optimistic. Cal is easily the worst program in p12. Maybe 4--18 in conference is about right.

Cal Fanatic - I don't think any Cal coach is excempt from a firing if their results are poor enough. Obviously if Cal goes 12-40 this year Knowlton has to take a look. Then maybe as another poster said, maybe sweet talk her into retirement by making her the head coach emeritus and name the new SB facility after her then we can bring Chelsea in.

Ccajon2
Stanford Jonah said:

I miss watching Veronica Nelson crush home runs. That was a fun time.

Do you folks remember the season we won our first 33 straight OOC games. How about when we went to the wcws 6 straight years.
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Yep. Not surprised. Ninemire is collecting her coin and completely protected from any firing-due to a previous lawsuit. She just doesn't care anymore. I feel heartbroken for the program.
. What lawsuit do you reference?
CalFanatic
It has been referenced by others here and on College Softball Forum. That is all I will say.
blungld
CalFanatic said:

It has been referenced by others here and on College Softball Forum. That is all I will say.
How can there be a lawsuit that prevents being fired? That's not really a thing...or else it's blackmail/extortion.
CalFanatic
I would say she is likely safe from getting fired. Again, this is not new news. All you have to do is scroll college softball forum.
OBear073akaSMFan
If it's is public can you link to previously discussions on this matter.
CalFanatic
There have been numerous comments about this on larger forums- by people who are trusted in the sport. It seems to be common knowledge. I'll just link this thread here from this forum. This person is not wrong.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/5/topics/89284/replies/1629742
philbert
can't they bump her up to some associate AD position or something?
BearinOC
This is ridiculous. Even if whatever happened a while back, I don't understand people being coy about it. I just did a search on this issue the past 10 minutes and found nothing on the matter. All that's being done is perpetuating a rumor. Unless we can determine for ourselves, it means nothing, especially not being able to find a single article or decision on the matter.
Ccajon2
CalFanatic said:

There have been numerous comments about this on larger forums- by people who are trusted in the sport. It seems to be common knowledge. I'll just link this thread here from this forum. This person is not wrong.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/5/topics/89284/replies/1629742

"Jackisback" is the source I'm assuming. Says DN won some sort of discrimination lawsuit and can never be fired by Cal?!? Does anybody here know of that lawsuit. DN was a great Coach with fine results up until 2015 why would anybody want to be rid of her?

Nobody's excempt. An in-effective African American BB coach was canned after two poor seasons, well, DNs barely winning 35% of her Pac 12 games past four seasons is just as bad, and averaging a 7th place finish during that time qualifies her for being replaced.
Jackisback
I am not the source. As I stated at the time, I was only repeating what I had read elsewhere.

Here is the forum where I read the information, but I cannot point to a single post where it was said since my understanding was cobbled together from reading sometimes cryptic comments spread over multiple threads over the years. The people making the comments were posters who had previously demonstrated extensive knowledge of the college softball community so I assumed they knew at least some of what they were talking about. I have no direct knowledge of the topic.

http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=10114

In general, you will not find a lot of support for DN on the forum.
blungld
I am not a lawyer, so I would love to hear one chime in, but I have never heard of a settlement where a condition is permanent employment. I really do not understand structurally and contractually how that could be worked or enforced. I don't doubt that she has a lot of clout in the department, but color me dubious that there is an extortion deal in place: "I won't release this info or sue you if you don't fire me."
Post removed:
by user
BearinOC
Another morning I wake up to DN at the helm. I was hoping she would have announced retirement and we were getting some new blood in the program. Maybe tomorrow morning...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.