Jolene Henderson

2,852 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wvitbear
BearinOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know what happened to her? She was on staff with the Gators then went onto play on the pro league with USSSA Pride. She no longer appears on that team roster. Is she now somehow going to be related to the Cal program? I would love her as a Pitching Coach.
CalFanatic
If Henderson wants to come back and teach the youngsters how to throw a real changeup... wouldn't be mad at it!
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

If Henderson wants to come back and teach the youngsters how to throw a real changeup... wouldn't be mad at it!
And Nisa how to throw a Rise? That would be a sick combo
BearinOC
Hmmm...Now Jolene Henderson gets quoted o Calbears.com along with Mike Smith and the Arkansas Coach? I have a feeling she will be the Assistant/Pitching Coach.
Gkhoury2325
BearinOC said:

Hmmm...Now Jolene Henderson gets quoted o Calbears.com along with Mike Smith and the Arkansas Coach? I have a feeling she will be the Assistant/Pitching Coach.

Would she be the volunteer assistant coach or Asst. Coach? What is your sense. Do you think Chelsea might go with someone with more experience? Is Henderson a good coach? I see she was at Florida.
BearinOC
Gkhoury2325 said:

BearinOC said:

Would she be the volunteer assistant coach or Asst. Coach? What is your sense. Do you think Chelsea might go with someone with more experience? Is Henderson a good coach? I see she was at Florida.
It would all depend on how much money AD would throw at the coaching situation. Considering JH was an Asst Coach who was paid, I cannot imagine trying to acquire her as a Volunteer. Further, she has been playing in the pro circuit as well. She and Coach Spencer would bring a ton of respectability to the program. I am reading all the SB publication and people are literally genuinely surprised at the hiring.

Finally my exchanges with AD leads me to believe that he understands that softball is one of 3 sports that generate a lot of money. If I were to put my money on it, she gets paid as an Asst and a lot of it.
Gkhoury2325
Thank you, that's a lot of great information. Sounds like if Henderson becomes an Asst./Pitching Coach, she will be a very welcomed addition. She is young and I'm sure she has a lot of energy. The Asst., hires will be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully, donors and Alumni pitch in to secure an excellent coaching staff.

You stated the SB publication and people are surprised by the hire. Why is that? Did people think Chelsea would not leave Texas?
BearinOC
Gkhoury2325 said:

Thank you, that's a lot of great information. Sounds like if Henderson becomes an Asst./Pitching Coach, she will be a very welcomed addition. She is young and I'm sure she has a lot of energy. The Asst., hires will be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully, donors and Alumni pitch in to secure an excellent coaching staff.

You stated the SB publication and people are surprised by the hire. Why is that? Did people think Chelsea would not leave Texas?
Cal has been such a disappointment for softball of late, there was no expectation. While DN was an excellent coach in the earlier days, the game has passed her style of coaching and to be honest, in my opinion content with just collecting a paycheck.

While our program was in a rut, a lot of programs built their theirs with young energetic coaches with a lot of passion. Since DN was a Hall of Fame coach, people did not expect her to go anywhere and hence just kept the status quo. We got highly recruited players since we are in Pac-12 and the school is in California where most elite players are. But once they get here, they digress and lose their passion to play the game. (Courtney Shaw comes to mind who had her passion extinguished by the coaching staff according to her parents)

But with forward thinking AD with his vision, he pulled a rabbit out of the hat by somehow getting DN to retire and hiring a hot commodity. Any player or coach associated with Florida, LSU, Alabama, Oregon, Washing, UCLA and Texas are HOT!
CalFanatic
BearinOC said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

Cal has been such a disappointment for softball of late, there was no expectation. While DN was an excellent coach in the earlier days, the game has passed her style of coaching and to be honest, in my opinion content with just collecting a paycheck.

This wasn't just your opinion.... many, many people thought the exact same thing. Chelsea will bring the same love for Cal that DN had but with a new-fiery-high energy approach and modern day teaching/skills training. The one gripe you might hear about Chelsea is her "fiery" attitude. Some people seem to misconstrue it for immaturity. Are you kidding? I've been dying for a coach to act like they care and WANT to win for the last 6 years.

It is the perfect hire for Cal.
CalFanatic
Now regarding JH... all of this makes sense given the timeline you've laid out. I just don't see this happening. I think it would be more likely she pulls in a previous connection from her U of O years. We will see. I'd love to be wrong.
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

BearinOC said:

Gkhoury2325 said:

This wasn't just your opinion.... many, many people thought the exact same thing. Chelsea will bring the same love for Cal that DN had but with a new-fiery-high energy approach and modern day teaching/skills training. The one gripe you might hear about Chelsea is her "fiery" attitude. Some people seem to misconstrue it for immaturity. Are you kidding? I've been dying for a coach to act like they care and WANT to win for the last 6 years.

It is the perfect hire for Cal.
I was trying to be diplomatic because I've going to many on-line community "jail". lol.

I love fiery but not Lisa Fernandez fiery.
BearinOC
CalFanatic said:

Now regarding JH... all of this makes sense given the timeline you've laid out. I just don't see this happening. I think it would be more likely she pulls in a previous connection from her U of O years. We will see. I'd love to be wrong.
I could be wrong, but the timing is just too perfect. I was just watching Gator softball from Feb 2020 softball. She was the first base coach. Now she is quoted along with other coaches conveniently and is no longer showing on the Gator website when she was there one month ago? Not only would this be an awesome hire but also do you remember her sister, Danielle Henderson? She was a prolific hitter while at Cal.

Danielle Henderson

wvitbear
Man, that was a period of freckles.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.