Morikawa Resumes His Pro Career This Weekend

2,873 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
dbush518
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Former Cal golfer Collin Morikawa, whose professional career was off to a fabulous start when it was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, will resume this weekend.
Morikawa will tee off when the PGA tour resumes Thursday at the $7.5 million Charles Schwab Challenge at the Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas. It will feature some of the sport's top names including Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm, Rory McIlroy, Brooks Koepka and Jordan Speith.
Morikawa has earned $2.84 million since his PGA debut last June. He finished 35th at the U.S. Open in his first major and recorded six top-10 finishes, including a victory at the Barracuda Championship in July. Two other former Cal golfers, Max Homa and Byeong-Hun An, also will play at the Charles Schwab Challenge. Homa has three top-10 finishes this season while Byeong-Hun has landed in the top 10 five times.
The event will come with some new wrinkles. Players were tested for COVID-19 prior to being allowed to play practice rounds. Hand sanitizer stations are located at each hole and players will be reminded to stay six feet from one another. Golfers will pull their own clubs from their bags and conversations with caddies will not be conducted as intimately. And, there will be no fans, as the PGA plans to stage its first five tournaments without spectators.
75bear
So very cool to watch all the Cal golfers doing so well on the PGA Tour. There's so many guys to root for!
m2bear
Is he going to play defensive back for Cal this year ?

Or am I in the off-topic forum ?
flounder
m2bear said:

Despite this being a football forum, golf being an olympic sport, and this site having an olympic sports forum, some people can't seem to grasp that this is the wrong forum to post this. Maybe I will start posting about DeSean's contract on the women's basketball forum.
71Bear
dbush518 said:

Former Cal golfer Collin Morikawa, whose professional career was off to a fabulous start when it was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, will resume this weekend.
Morikawa will tee off when the PGA tour resumes Thursday at the $7.5 million Charles Schwab Challenge at the Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas. It will feature some of the sport's top names including Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm, Rory McIlroy, Brooks Koepka and Jordan Speith.
Morikawa has earned $2.84 million since his PGA debut last June. He finished 35th at the U.S. Open in his first major and recorded six top-10 finishes, including a victory at the Barracuda Championship in July. Two other former Cal golfers, Max Homa and Byeong-Hun An, also will play at the Charles Schwab Challenge. Homa has three top-10 finishes this season while Byeong-Hun has landed in the top 10 five times.
The event will come with some new wrinkles. Players were tested for COVID-19 prior to being allowed to play practice rounds. Hand sanitizer stations are located at each hole and players will be reminded to stay six feet from one another. Golfers will pull their own clubs from their bags and conversations with caddies will not be conducted as intimately. And, there will be no fans, as the PGA plans to stage its first five tournaments without spectators.
Two other notes:

Morikawa has qualified for the Masters (to be played in November)
Morikawa has made 21 consecutive cuts (the longest current streak on Tour)

OdontoBear66
flounder said:

m2bear said:

Despite this being a football forum, golf being an olympic sport, and this site having an olympic sports forum, some people can't seem to grasp that this is the wrong forum to post this. Maybe I will start posting about DeSean's contract on the women's basketball forum.
Such a small thing to get you panties in a wad. I saw in the football forum yesterday and couldn't find it today thinking there would be consistency. An added search got me to where you are happy. Cheers.
ORBear96
The best part about watching Morikawa this Sunday is seeing the back of his scorebook in his back pocket which says "Go Bears". I hope Tiger is watching
OdontoBear66
ORBear96 said:

The best part about watching Morikawa this Sunday is seeing the back of his scorebook in his back pocket which says "Go Bears". I hope Tiger is watching
Actually the best part was watching him come back from adversity time and again to regain the lead when all seemed lost (down 5 strokes on the back nine Saturday, missing the short putt to ice the win when Xander seemed like the only competition, and holding on to tie for the win). But then see him be 23 years old and not be used to the massive pressure of the finish and the playoff. His disappointment was my own as I wanted it so bad for him. But he sure learned a lot today that will serve him well as he goes ahead. With making 21 cuts in a row the man is not hurting and has nothing but good days ahead. Tears are temporary.
swan
Good Golfweek article on Collin.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/06/14/pga-tour-charles-schwab-challege-collin-morikawa-playoff-loss/

Mentions that he has started his PGA Tour career by making the cut in all of his 21 pro tournaments. Only Tiger started his career better by making the cut in his first 25. Collin's streak is also the longest active streak on the Tour with Tommy Fleetwood missing the cut at Bay Hill in March before Covid 19 suspended tournament play.
sandiegobears
Who just yelled "Go Bears!" after Morikawa teed off at the first hole of the PGA today at Harding Park? He has a good chance for a major win today, but has to beat a lot of good players with more experience.
gobears
Collin's driver golf cover is a Bear.

Tiger has his signature orange and black Tiger driver head cover these past 25 years or so.

We can all look forward in watching Collin over the next 25 years and see his driver head cover is a Golden Bear.

1. his long putt to save par on 1 (and not lose ground after 1 hole)
2. his chip in to save par on 14
3. his drive on 16 to green on par 4...
4. his eagle putt to take control of lead on 16

when 10 players could have won on Sunday, Collin took control and said "why not me".

Congrat's to Collin's 1st Major at 23.

goBears
BearForce2
flounder said:

m2bear said:

The whole BI universe is waiting.

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
ORBear96 said:

I hope Tiger is watching

Meanwhile...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.