Spencer Names Rebecca Mueller Assistant Coach

2,109 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by puget sound cal fan
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?

BERKELEY After helping upgrade the Ball State offense in a number of statistical categories last season, Rebecca Mueller has agreed to become an assistant coach for the Cal softball program as announced by head coach Chelsea Spencer on Monday.

A native of Sacramento, Mueller guided the Cardinal's offense to multiple national rankings inside the top 35 in her lone year at Ball State. The vast improvements compared to the previous campaign included a 26th ranking in on-base percentage (.405), up from a .365 mark in 2019. The Cardinals also ranked 32nd in runs and 35th in slugging percentage at .503 (.440 in 2019). The squad's batting average also improved from .244 in 2019 to .304 in 2020.

"I am very excited to bring Becca back home to the West Coast and into our Cal Bear Family," Spencer said. "She has acquired extensive hitting knowledge throughout her young coaching career by working with some of our game's most advanced minds and technology. With her expertise and ever-evolving knowledge for the game, I look forward to her elevating us to a championship offense. Go Bears!"

Mueller spent the 2019 season as a volunteer assistant coach at Georgia, a program that produced a 42-19 record and a national ranking of 17th. She mentored four student-athletes to earn NFCA All-Southeast Region honors, with one also earning NFCA All-America recognition. Georgia finished the year ranked 14th nationally in home runs per game (1.26), 16th in slugging percentage (.508) and 18th in scoring (6.03 runs per game).

Prior to joining the Georgia coaching staff, Mueller was a volunteer assistant for her alma mater the College of Charleston in 2018. She guided Taylor DuPree to earn recognition on the NFCA All-Mid-Atlantic Region First Team and finish her career with program records for hits, batting average, runs scored and stolen bases.

Mueller started her collegiate coaching career as an assistant coach at Colgate in 2017. She enabled strong improvements in the Raider's offense as the program's batting average went up from .222 to .273, the slugging percentage soared from .312 to .417 and Colgate nearly doubled its home run total (15 to 29) from before her arrival.

"I couldn't be more excited to be joining the staff at Cal," Mueller said. "Coach Spencer's vision for the program is truly special and I'm thankful for the opportunity to be a part of it. As a Northern California native, this feels like coming home for me."

Mueller enjoyed an illustrious playing career at the College of Charleston from 2013-16. She helped the Cougars boast a 136-88 record over her four years, including a 40-win season in 2014. She was an NFCA All-Mid-Atlantic Region honoree as a senior, a two-time All-CAA selection and a two-time CAA All-Tournament Team selection. Starting 220 games in the outfield for College of Charleston, Mueller finished her career ranked in the program's top 10 in 12 offensive categories, including third in doubles (40), and fourth in hits (219), triples (9) and RBI (122).

Excelling in the classroom, as well, Mueller was tabbed a scholar-athlete for her conference in 2013. She graduated from the College of Charleston in May of 2016 with a degree in political science.
CalFanatic
" Mueller enjoyed an illustrious playing career at the College of Charleston from 2013-16. She helped the Cougars boast a 136-88 record over her four years, including a 40-win season in 2014. She was an NFCA All-Mid-Atlantic Region honoree as a senior, a two-time All-CAA selection and a two-time CAA All-Tournament Team selection. Starting 220 games in the outfield for College of Charleston, Mueller finished her career ranked in the program's top 10 in 12 offensive categories, including third in doubles (40), and fourth in hits (219), triples (9) and RBI (122). "

I am excited to see what three accomplished former hitters can do with this roster!
Schroeder71
Becca Mueller sounds as if she's mid twenties (25 or 26). She spent one season as an assistant coach at several schools. The 2019 season that she spent at SEC power, Georgia, should have introduced her to bigtime college softball. I believe all of the assistants are in their 20s so hopefully they can grow-up quickly in the Pac Nine.
https://ballstatesports.com/sports/softball/roster/coaches/becca-mueller/1238

HC Chelsea Spencer is the coach w/ experience. GO BEARS!
puget sound cal fan
Coach Mueller sounds like a great addition to Coach Spencer's Bear staff. Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.