2020 Volleyball Season

8 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calbears4ever
calbears4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://calbears.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster
Forte is officially an oppo now, and idk what this means for Lilomaiava. I saw Lilomaiava as the one to replace Huizenga because she's the only lefty remaining on the team. As someone who was an oppo in my playing days, and a fellow lefty, I personally believe that lefty oppos are the most ideal, even though there have been right handers who have played the position (ie Smoot). Forte is first and foremost a middle, and she did really well last season, so moving her to oppo when Lilomaiava is more than capable of being a starter doesn't make sense at all. I don't know if Taumoepeau is a lefty or not, but I think she is the best choice as a backup oppo. I support Coach Crosson 100%, but converting Forte to oppo was not the best move when both pin positions are crowded and the middle blocker depth chart is limited to 4 players at most.
ncbears
A line of Mircovic, Anderson and Forte seems pretty intimidating.
calbears4ever
I agree. Lilomaiava isn't bad though
ncbears
Whom do you see as backing up Anderson? Will it be primarily Bergmark or is Grote pencilled in for more duty? Interesting to see Clark moved to Libero as well. (I met her parents in Fort Collins last year. They were very nice people, so I root for their daughter)
Also, last year's "official" roster didn't distinguish between "outside" and "opposite" - but Haynes/Huizenga seemed to rotate. So, Forte, Mayer, Lilliomaiva may rotate?
Regardless, Potter/Blevins need to show improvement or it doesn't matter where people play!

(assuming there even is a season)
calbears4ever
I met Clark after the Arizona game in Haas and she's nice. I thought she did well at the service line last season despite little playing time. Apparently she was already playing a libero role from the get go despite being an OH in high school (she and Anderson were teammates at Hamilton High).
If Forte is not backing up Anderson at middle, I think it's gonna be Bergmark and not Grote, as Bergmark has more experience. Meyer is probably gonna be a front row OH like Haynes was last season. Lilomaiava will most likely be the new oppo even though Forte is now an oppo as well, and Taumoepeau will be a backup to both of them. Perhaps Forte will play the same role as Rennie did last season, but it's hard to say.
I am very confident with the setters, especially Potter, as she had the most assists on the team and is arguably the best setter they have right now. She carried the offense on her back when Blevins went down and did really well even though she is undersized, and I think she would do well in a 5-1 offense. I wouldn't expect to see Jensen playing until after Potter graduates unless something bad happens to either her or Blevins.
wvitbear
But when will they play? No schedule. Will they only play Pac 12? They should be in camp now.
Chabbear
I would assume that Volleyball would start around the same time as football and football's first game is scheduled for 9/26. That is a month later than their start last year 8/30. I think that 8/17 is the date by which decisions will be made on all fall sports.
calbears4ever
Given the fact that the NBA is in a strict bubble, it's going to be tricky to have teams traveling to play each other unless everyone sticks to Covid management protocol by the pac-12 and doesn't mingle with other students or their opponents. Volleyball is pretty much noncontact because players are of course separated by the net, but it becomes tricky when the front row players joust each other for the point and fight against the block of the opposing team, which can get them into closer contact. The other option would be to bring every volleyball team in the pac-12 to Vegas and have them play each other there.
SpartanBear20
It's official: No fall sports.
calbears4ever
It sucks. Especially for this team, and there goes our chance to win the NCAA championship. The Mima Mirkovic/Preslie Anderson era is officially over
SFCALBear72
Conceivably, they could still play in the Spring. Ruling by Pac-12 says no competition can take place before December 31. Things could change come January 1. Depends on where we are with the virus.
calbears4ever
Since Mirkovic and Pantovic also play beach, it's going to be tricky for them decision-wise if both beach and indoor happen at the same time. And if the current seniors decide to graduate early and go pro/whatever they're doing post-graduation, it could mean the end of an era for this team before it could even finish
SFCALBear72
calbears4ever said:

Since Mirkovic and Pantovic also play beach, it's going to be tricky for them decision-wise if both beach and indoor happen at the same time. And if the current seniors decide to graduate early and go pro/whatever they're doing post-graduation, it could mean the end of an era for this team before it could even finish
How about we take 1 month at a time? Things change quickly.

The health and well-being of our student-athletes are most important. The eligibility issues will take care of themselves.
calbears4ever
You're completely right I'll take your word for it. Hopefully things get better by next year. go bears
wvitbear
The Pac 12 requires all member schools to have a women's volleyball team. Not a beach one. So, no contest to which one stays.
calbears4ever
Exactly. Spring volleyball anyone?
ncbears
There was a zoom volleyball update either last Monday or today? Anybody here know anything about either Zoom and news?
calbears4ever
Haven't heard anything about either
OBear073akaSMFan
calbears4ever said:

Haven't heard anything about either
Couple of weeks ago I asked my sales rep (who is also my WBB rep) about renewing my VB season ticket.

per his quote 9/23/2020

We did not start our volleyball renewals this year with so much uncertainty so we will have to wait for that one as well. I'll keep you posted with everything going on.
calbears4ever
Also, the other pac 12 teams are already practicing, and Cal is gonna be screwed if they don't get back in the gym by the end of the month. There's fewer at-large spots in the NCAA's this season, and they would have to finish in the top 4 in the conference if they are going to have a fighting chance of making it. If they are going to get to the tourney, this coming season is their season, as they won't have Mirkovic and Potter after the end of the year. If they can't get back to practicing, they might as well opt out of the season.

Additionally, the team has a Wikipedia page that fans are welcome to edit, provided that all content is accurate. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Golden_Bears_women%27s_volleyball
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.