Breaking News: middle blocker Lauren Forte transfers to Florida

4,390 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calbears4ever
calbears4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forte is heading to Florida after this fall, as she stated on Instagram, and Cal Volleyball is in huge trouble at middle right now, as Bergmark and Grote are the only middles left, neither of whom have the experience of Anderson/Forte. Now that the latter two are transferring, they will have to start if there is a season in spring. I'm not sure if Crosson and the coaching staff was a factor in their decision, but either way, it hurts for Cal, and it will hurt more if all the seniors decide to graduate early like Forte and Anderson. Blevins, Milli, Pantovic, Meyer, and Lilomaiava need to be ready for any situation and step up at a moment's notice if Potter and Mirkovic don't return.
ncbears
2020 is the cruellest sports year for Cal. And, if beach and indoor are at the same time (if either happens at all in 2021), I expect Mircovic to play beach.
I do wonder whether switching Forte to outside was a factor. Because, this is not a move to play now - Florida is scheduled for fall matches starting in October (not a lot - but some). This is a move for next year.
Schroeder71
The transfers of these two middle blockers, SR Preslie Anderson and RS JR Lauren Forte, dooms this season's
indoor volleyball program. I am a casual observer of the VB team. Is the reason that the best players are departing the coronavirus or a lack of respect for the program and/or the head coach? What is your opinion?

The couple of starting football players that departed was to prepare for the NFL Draft. DE Luc Bequette used his senior transfer rule to go to the ACC for an additional year of exposure for the draft. Boston College is playing their entire season. CB Cam Bynum split to begin preparing for the pro draft in May. There is a huge difference in the potential economic payoff for a professional athlete.

The 2020 season is turning into a major nightmare for many Pac 12 sports.... GO BEARS!
HoopDreams
terrible news

I also don't understand why they are transferring ... do they think they won't have a season here?
OBear073akaSMFan
calbears4ever said:

Forte is heading to Florida after this fall, as she stated on Instagram, and Cal Volleyball is in huge trouble at middle right now, as Bergmark and Grote are the only middles left, neither of whom have the experience of Anderson/Forte. Now that the latter two are transferring, they will have to start if there is a season in spring. I'm not sure if Crosson and the coaching staff was a factor in their decision, but either way, it hurts for Cal, and it will hurt more if all the seniors decide to graduate early like Forte and Anderson. Blevins, Milli, Pantovic, Meyer, and Lilomaiava need to be ready for any situation and step up at a moment's notice if Potter and Mirkovic don't return.

As a season ticket holder will truly disappointed if Mirkovic leaves. It will become a rebuilding year.
ncbears
Looks like both Anderson and Forte will get their degrees at the end of this semester. So the issue of grad school admission may be paramount. Its an issue for all Cal sports. But good for these young women to achieve what they have achieved and I hope for continued success in life and on the court unless they are playing against Cal
calbears4ever
I don't think it was Coach Crosson and his staff that made Forte and Anderson want to leave. They used the time off as an opportunity to get ahead academically and graduate early, which they are both doing. I have met Crosson before and I think he is a really good coach. All of the players seem to respect him very well. Neither Anderson nor Forte stated that the coaches were a factor in their decision to transfer; perhaps they just needed a change of scenery. But with that being said, them leaving puts pressure on Mirkovic to stay with the team and play, especially since she is the only superstar left.
calbears4ever
I actually think that Mirkovic could stay with the indoor team out of a desire to fix up "unfinished business" which is winning an NCAA title and getting 1000+ career kills, while Pantovic could take a redshirt season with the indoor team and go play beach. Mirkovic was the reason why Cal came so close to making the tourney last season, and she is 6 kills away from 1000, which is very exciting. Cal needs her more than anyone, and they will not be the same without her, as proven by the 4-game stretch when she was out with injury
ncbears
If Pac12 does start volleyball for Fall .... Come back Preslie and Lauren!
calbears4ever
They're not leaving till after December. They could theoretically stay for the season until then but i don't think they're allowed to pull themselves out of their commitments. Neither school has announced their transfer, but they can't reverse their decisions after they have found a school.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.