KTVU: Surviving the Game: Allegations of abuse in Cal's soccer program

2,214 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Terrible situation ...

https://www.ktvu.com/news/surviving-the-game-ktvu-investigates-allegations-of-abuse-in-cals-soccer-program
calbears4ever
Macguire should've been terminated a long time ago. Period
BearinOC
Boohoo. Toughen up! Kids these days don't want to work. I've seen it many time in softball. They are very sensitive and can't take any criticism. Sigh, smh.
calbears4ever
There is a big difference between pushing athletes out of their comfort zone and pushing them to the point of breakdown. When athletes feel as if they can't survive after an intense workout even with proper recovery, it is a sign of trouble on behalf of their coach(es). Coaches of any sport, male or female, need to understand that pushing their athletes to work until they feel as if they are completely breaking down mentally and physically is not acceptable
Looperbear
First, Booth.
Second, this is abuse and Maguire should get canned and more heads roll. Another embarrassment for the school.
BearinOC
calbears4ever said:

There is a big difference between pushing athletes out of their comfort zone and pushing them to the point of breakdown. When athletes feel as if they can't survive after an intense workout even with proper recovery, it is a sign of trouble on behalf of their coach(es). Coaches of any sport, male or female, need to understand that pushing their athletes to work until they feel as if they are completely breaking down mentally and physically is not acceptable
I'm saying you are wrong. I agree with you to an extent. I am however saying, kids are soft these day. I had a millennial kid yell at me at Canon "Why are you yelling at me?!" Um, if expressing frustration at the process and you are a customer service rep, you should know better it's not directed at you. They have been coddled and they are not like us when we grew up. I was picked on as a kid who was chubby, ESL student, packed rice to lunch, wore cleats in class everyday, and wore 2nd hand Levi jeans.

We do not know first hand since we are not there. If he is getting first ranked recruiting class, the reputation is there to push kids and is a winner. Kids want to pay for him. Unfortunately, the kids that do bench warming will find excuses to get him fired...That's all I am saying.
Schroeder71
A Gymnastics Coach Accused of Emotional Abuse Speaks Out (yahoo.com)
Here's a story of a convicted female gymnastics coach for emotional abuse. She
will be banned for eight years. The coach responds to the accusations above.
82gradDLSdad
BearinOC said:

Boohoo. Toughen up! Kids these days don't want to work. I've seen it many time in softball. They are very sensitive and can't take any criticism. Sigh, smh.

Doesn't matter how soft you or any coach thinks kids are. Coaches walk a thin line. They have to push right up to it and build their players so that they can push a little more. If you constantly push too hard and you have none or very few of your players back you then you've pushed too hard. You do it enough and ignore your players you should be fired. It's simple really. I hope Knowlton has some off the record positive comments from players about this guy. If he doesn't he's been negligent in not firing him. He probably does have supporting players and that is why he's still around. I hope so.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.