Warriors 2021

15,091 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

concordtom said:

Just read this

Quote:

For the last decade, the Warriors have seemed to always have the goods to figure it out. But Friday evening felt different. The Warriors were gassed down the stretch and couldn't simply turn to a Death Lineup or a Hamptons 5 to blow away the opponent in a late-game situation. Instead, it was Memphis's young core who had all the answers. Morant, all of 21 years old, was the one hitting timely contested shots with the game on the line, while Green, one of the league's smartest players, airballed a layup that would've won the game.

and it reminded me that on that last drive of Green's - rather than putting up that lamely missed shot that looked like some uncertain high school kid driving the lane for the first time, he should have simply pivoted around to his left and given the ball to Wiggins at the 3 for the game winner.

I don't think there was enough time for Green to make that pass and for Wiggins to shoot it.
There was.
But upon watching this replay, I see that Wiggins' defender didn't crash as hard to Draymond off Wiggins as I had initially thought. Wiggins would have had a hand in his face for sure.
Still, this place was poorly executed.
And, in Draymond's defense, he was calling for the ball from Curry a lot sooner, which would have given him more time to make a play.
Instead, he seemed to panic and put up a crappy shot.
So, I feel a little less judgmental toward him. Still, he blew it big time. Oh well - it's better off for the warriors to have lost, rest up, get a pick 3 places higher in the draft. They weren't going to go far in these playoffs, and the flame out will force the management to make better decisions in the offseason rather than think ONLY KLAY is all that's needed.
Yeah, the replay also shows that the perimeter defenders are not crashing on Draymond. They are staying connected to the outside shooters because they know Dray is not a scorer. If anything his best option might have been to bull into the defender under the basket and try to make a layup or draw a foul.
I was just thinking that. If he knew he had time to get to a two footed position under the basket.... force the foul call.
concordtom
Wow:

Wiseman didn't make the 1st team, 2nd team, or even the Snub Team:

Rookie Wire

2020-21 NBA Season Awards: Predicting All-Rookie teams, snubs
Cody Taylor
Mon, May 24, 2021, 11:14 AM

With the NBA regular season behind us, the conversation in the basketball world has shifted toward the playoffs following an exciting weekend of action.
The discussion surrounding several end-of-season awards races also has picked up.
Several categories, including Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, appear to be anything but locked up. Also included in that debate: the All-Rookie teams.
The rookie class put forth a strong showing this year and likely exceeded expectations. The performances have given the awards voters something to think about and the final tallies should be rather intriguing.
To make sense of it all, Rookie Wire predicted how the All-Rookie first and second teams will play out. We also included players likely to be snubbed from the voting results.
Note: There are no position restrictions when selecting All-Rookie teams

NBA All-Rookie First Team
Thomas Shea-USA TODAY Sports

• Anthony Edwards Minnesota Timberwolves
  • LaMelo Ball Charlotte Hornets
  • Tyrese Haliburton Sacramento Kings
  • Immanuel Quickley New York Knicks
  • Desmond Bane Memphis Grizzlies

The NBA announced on Thursday that Edwards, Ball and Haliburton were the three finalists for the Rookie of the Year award. They are locks to make the first team and should be unanimous selections when the final voting results are released. Outside of those three, however, the picks get a bit dicey. Four players seem in contention to earn the final two spots on the first team: Quickley, Bane, Saddiq Bey and Jae'Sean Tate. Of the four, two players helped their respective teams achieve great success throughout the season and advance to the playoffs. Quickley emerged as a valuable contributor off the bench this season for head coach Tom Thibodeau. He made a tremendous impact off the bench, averaging 11.4 points on 38.9% shooting from 3-point range. He missed time toward the end of the season but has played like a high first-round pick, and not one that went 25th. Bane, meanwhile, emerged as perhaps one of the top shooters in the class. On the season, he averaged 9.2 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game. He shot 43.2% from 3-point range, ranking 13th among all players in the league. In addition to his shooting, the 30th overall pick is a strong defender and is already one of the top 3-and-D options of the class.

NBA All-Rookie Second Team
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

• Saddiq Bey Detroit Pistons
  • Jae'Sean Tate Houston Rockets
  • Facundo Campazzo Denver Nuggets
  • Isaiah Stewart Detroit Pistons
  • Patrick Williams Chicago Bulls

As previously mentioned, Bey and Tate have strong cases to earn first team honors. We have no issues with anyone including them that high on their ballots. In our eyes, though, they ultimately were knocked down a bit given where their teams finished in the standings. Campazzo, while not a traditional rookie given his international resume, emerged as a key contributor with the Nuggets. Denver dealt with a number of injuries, and Campazzo was instrumental in its success in the stretch run. The selection of Stewart will give the Pistons two All-Rookie players. He averaged 7.9 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 68 games played while leading the class in rebounding, offensive rebounding and blocks. He is one of nine players this season with at least two blocks in 26 games. While Williams' numbers hardly stand out against his competition, the fourth pick emerged as one of the top defenders of the class. He was often tasked with guarding the opposition's best player and, typically, held his own in those matchups.

NBA All-Rookie Snubs
Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

• Tyrese Maxey Philadelphia 76ers
  • Isaac Okoro Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Chuma Okeke Orlando Magic
  • Cole Anthony Orlando Magic
  • Payton Pritchard Boston Celtics

Once the awards are announced, Maxey will likely be the top snub from either team. While he performed like one of the 10 best rookies, his playing time with the Sixers was sporadic and he was often out of the rotation. He had a career-high 39-point game, the second-most by a rookie this season, so we know he can score, but his role will likely prevent him from earning second team honors. Okoro was a high-minute player for the Cavaliers this season and really started to come alive toward the end of the season. Overall, though, Okoro was inconsistent and likely will not place on either team. But don't get it twisted, Okoro showed signs of becoming a strong player on both ends of the floor and could be one of the best to emerge from this class. Of the potential snubs, Okeke likely has the best chance to place on the second team. His role expanded once Aaron Gordon was traded, and he showed flashes of his potential as a starter. He has a dynamic offensive game and elite tools on the defensive end, making him perhaps one of the most intriguing first-year players. Anthony likely would have been a lock to make the second team had he not missed so much time with a rib injury. His playmaking ability proved highly beneficial for the Magic, while his knack for taking over late in games was a pleasant surprise. Finally, Pritchard has given the Celtics solid production off the bench in spurts. It is rather rare a rookie can offer that kind of scoring, but Pritchard performed when his number was called. His role often varied but can fill a several different roles for the team moving forward.
Post removed:
by user
philbert
Stanford Jonah said:

concordtom said:

Stanford Jonah said:

concordtom said:

I think the W's definitely will need more than Klay. We are vastly understaffed inside and Wiseman doesn't project to be the guy in year2.
That guy is gonna make you look so stupid. And you really don't need any more help on that end.
It would be great to be wrong here.
https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-myers-details-possible-james-163339726.html

Quote:

Are the Warriors still planning on having the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 draft work out with Kevin Garnett this offseason?

"We had KG set up prior to the injury. He was coming. We were just gonna figure out when," Golden State president of basketball operations Bob Myers said Wednesday on 95.7 The Game's "The Morning Roast" show. "The thing now is you don't want to throw a guy (out there) that's not 100 percent healthy with KG -- or else you're in trouble (laughs). We got to wait until he's healthy."
Quote:

"We [also] talked to David West and we were gonna get something going with him. So we have these people in mind that we think can really be helpful."

There was an article in the Athletic or Comicle that mentioned Portland trading away a young Jermaine O'neal for Dale Davis, due to a similar situation (Portland not wanting to wait for O'neal to develop due to being a playoff team). Although Davis was a decent big man, O'neal became Indy's franchise player. No one wants to see something like that happen to GS.
bearister
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

bearister said:

Draymond Green is a dirty player and LeBron James is afraid of him.

He dared to stop the King from dunking.

It takes no skill to stop a dunk in that situation....as we all witnessed. This is how you block one:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
philbert said:

Stanford Jonah said:

concordtom said:

Stanford Jonah said:

concordtom said:

I think the W's definitely will need more than Klay. We are vastly understaffed inside and Wiseman doesn't project to be the guy in year2.
That guy is gonna make you look so stupid. And you really don't need any more help on that end.
It would be great to be wrong here.
https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-myers-details-possible-james-163339726.html

Quote:

Are the Warriors still planning on having the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 draft work out with Kevin Garnett this offseason?

"We had KG set up prior to the injury. He was coming. We were just gonna figure out when," Golden State president of basketball operations Bob Myers said Wednesday on 95.7 The Game's "The Morning Roast" show. "The thing now is you don't want to throw a guy (out there) that's not 100 percent healthy with KG -- or else you're in trouble (laughs). We got to wait until he's healthy."
Quote:

"We [also] talked to David West and we were gonna get something going with him. So we have these people in mind that we think can really be helpful."

There was an article in the Athletic or Comicle that mentioned Portland trading away a young Jermaine O'neal for Dale Davis, due to a similar situation (Portland not wanting to wait for O'neal to develop due to being a playoff team). Although Davis was a decent big man, O'neal became Indy's franchise player. No one wants to see something like that happen to GS.
1. It's far from clear that wiseman is goign to become GS's franchise player.
2. No one wants to see Curry end his career on also-ran teams.
3. Not sure who is available that could be traded to GS for Wiseman anyways, so... it's all just speculation at this point.
4. Will the W's want to take on 2 more rookie projects next year to go with MVP candidate Steph? I don't think so. I think the W's are trading picks for vets. Unless they can get some to come for free. Here's the list of top Free Agents:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/nba-free-agents-2021-top-30-players-could-hit-market
concordtom
How about:

Lauri Markkanen, F, Chicago Bulls (restricted)
2020-21 Salary: $6.7 million
2020-21 Stats: 13.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 0.9 apg | 48% FG, 40.2% 3P, 82.6% FT

Once thought of as a cornerstone, Markkanen's last two seasons with the Bulls have featured widespread regression and, after trading for Nikola Vuevi and Daniel Theis at the deadline, a move to the bench. Still, his offensive skill set, primarily as an outside shooter, is sure to intrigue. Given his name was in trade talks back in March, he could be one of the more available restricted free agents.
philbert
It will be hard to trade picks for vets due to the salaries of the vets, as the Dubs are over the cap. Same deal with free agents. The only salary slots available for free agents are the mid-level (about $6M/year) or vet minimums.

Any big trades would likely have to involve Wiggins, but if you trade him, who is your starting SF? Most of the rest of the salaries are too small. Oubre's salary slot is valuable to keep, but they will likely have to do a sign and trade for a draft pick.

So I doubt they'll get anyone from that top free agent list unless they're at the end of their career and looking to come play with Steph for a reasonable amount. Someone like Iguodala, if his option isn't picked up.
concordtom
I admittedly do not understand all the salary swap rules.
wraptor347
Markkanen is an RFA. QO is ~$9M, so trading Wiseman for him wouldn't really move the needle in terms of talent or salary. Even if they acquired him at ~$6, swapping with Wiseman saves $3 when the warriors are already $30M+ over the luxury tax.

It's possible the warriors trade Wiseman, but I really doubt they'll actively shop him. They need players who are capable of outplaying their salary. Wiseman struggled this year, but he is one of the players with the potential to significantly outplay their salary.

Philbert's right. If you look at the warriors salary situation, the warriors are going to be in the luxury tax again this season. To get under, they need to trade Wiggins + Oubre (or Dray + Wiseman + Oubre). And they need to take back a lot less salary. They won't do that since that sends the wrong message to Steph who they need to sign to an extension ("hey Steph, we traded away talent to save some money, but we still want to win so re-sign with us"). If the warriors are serious about winning next season, their best path is to re-sign everyone, hope Klay returns at 100%, and hope the Minny pick conveys this year.

Their best shot at getting out of the luxury tax is trading Wiggins next summer (at that point he'd have an expiring contract and should be easier to trade). If they can sign Steph to less than his current contract and get Wiggins off the books, then they'll have some flexibility. As much as Lacob has said he's willing to pay whatever it takes, I don't think he's willing to eat 3 straight years of luxury tax (the bill escalates every consecutive year over the luxury tax threshold). It's possible salaries + taxes = ~$400M this next season. Another season after would be even higher.

My guess is they try and do a sign-and-trade with Oubre to get his salary off the books while getting a trade exception. He's expendable assuming Klay returns (given how well Poole played) and will be expensive to keep given how far over the cap they already are.
philbert
One way they could get a big salary in a trade for a pick or picks is to re-sign Oubre and send one or both of their picks along with Oubre for a veteran under contract (not a sign and trade free agent). That could get them a vet with a salary in the $15-20M range. The timing is tricky, though. I believe the draft is before free agency starts. So oubre would have to agree to it and the other team would have to want the player that the Dubs drafted. Or all of those agreements would have to be done informally before the draft.
wraptor347
Yeah, I think the Warriors willingness to do that also depends on whether the Minny pick conveys this year or not.

If it doesn't convey, they may be more willing to bundle picks with Oubre to add a player that can immediately contribute.

If the warriors end up with (e.g.) the #5 pick, I think the Warriors would be more reluctant to trade. But that's pure speculation on my part.

I'm also not clear on who's available. There were rumors about Lonzo Ball earlier this year. A sign-and-trade/swap with a big man vet or a backup PG could make sense.
concordtom
wraptor347 said:

Markkanen is an RFA. QO is ~$9M, so trading Wiseman for him wouldn't really move the needle in terms of talent or salary. Even if they acquired him at ~$6, swapping with Wiseman saves $3 when the warriors are already $30M+ over the luxury tax.

It's possible the warriors trade Wiseman, but I really doubt they'll actively shop him. They need players who are capable of outplaying their salary. Wiseman struggled this year, but he is one of the players with the potential to significantly outplay their salary.

Philbert's right. If you look at the warriors salary situation, the warriors are going to be in the luxury tax again this season. To get under, they need to trade Wiggins + Oubre (or Dray + Wiseman + Oubre). And they need to take back a lot less salary. They won't do that since that sends the wrong message to Steph who they need to sign to an extension ("hey Steph, we traded away talent to save some money, but we still want to win so re-sign with us"). If the warriors are serious about winning next season, their best path is to re-sign everyone, hope Klay returns at 100%, and hope the Minny pick conveys this year.

Their best shot at getting out of the luxury tax is trading Wiggins next summer (at that point he'd have an expiring contract and should be easier to trade). If they can sign Steph to less than his current contract and get Wiggins off the books, then they'll have some flexibility. As much as Lacob has said he's willing to pay whatever it takes, I don't think he's willing to eat 3 straight years of luxury tax (the bill escalates every consecutive year over the luxury tax threshold). It's possible salaries + taxes = ~$400M this next season. Another season after would be even higher.

My guess is they try and do a sign-and-trade with Oubre to get his salary off the books while getting a trade exception. He's expendable assuming Klay returns (given how well Poole played) and will be expensive to keep given how far over the cap they already are.
Well, my idea was certainly NOT to trade Wiseman for him, but to try and pick him up on the open market.
Restricted FA means W's can make an offer and Bulls have right to match, right?
I guess the bulls would match most offers that the W's could make, and other teams might offer even more than the W's, so I should dump the idea....
I've just liked what Maarkanen brings - size and distant shooting.
Warriors are too short and get beat up on the glass. Wiseman alone won't solve that - we need another big.

You're points about the tax are good. Thanks.
concordtom
wraptor347 said:

Yeah, I think the Warriors willingness to do that also depends on whether the Minny pick conveys this year or not.

If it doesn't convey, they may be more willing to bundle picks with Oubre to add a player that can immediately contribute.

If the warriors end up with (e.g.) the #5 pick, I think the Warriors would be more reluctant to trade. But that's pure speculation on my part.

I'm also not clear on who's available. There were rumors about Lonzo Ball earlier this year. A sign-and-trade/swap with a big man vet or a backup PG could make sense.
It's impossible for Warriors to get the #5 pick.
1-3 stays with MN.
4 would go to W's.
MN is in no position to get #5 because only the top 4 are in the lottery, and MN is the 6th ranked team in order, per Tankathon.com

The Lottery will pick top 4 positions, all others falling in order:

PICK TEAM RECORD, chance at TOP 4, chance at #1 overall pick
1 Houston 17-55 52.1% 14.0%
2 Detroit 20-52 52.1% 14.0%
3 Orlando 21-51 52.1% 14.0%
4 Oklahoma City 22-50 45.1% 11.5%
5 Cleveland 22-50 45.1% 11.5%
6 Minnesota>GS 23-49 37.2% 9.0%
7 Toronto 27-45 31.9% 7.5%
8 Chicago ORL 31-41 20.3% 4.5%
9 Sacramento 31-41 20.3% 4.5%
10 New Orleans 31-41 20.3% 4.5%
11 Charlotte 33-39 8.5% 1.8%
12 San Antonio 33-39 8.0% 1.7%
13 Indiana 34-38 4.8% 1.0%
14 Golden State 39-33 2.4% 0.5%
END OF LOTTERY, below order will be as shown, according the regular season record:

15 Washington 34-38
16 Boston 36-36
17 Memphis 38-34
18 Miami>OKC 40-32
19 New York 41-31
20 Atlanta 41-31
21 Dallas >NY 42-30
22 LA Lakers 42-30
23 Portland >HOU 42-30
24 Milwaukee >HOU 46-26
25 LA Clippers 47-25
26 Denver 47-25
27 Brooklyn 48-24
28 Philadelphia 49-23
29 Phoenix 51-21
30 Utah 52-20

Of Note: Had the Warriors advanced into the Playoffs over Lakers or Grizzlies, they'd be pick #17 or 18 (3 or 4 spots lower).

Who can mathematically calculate the odds of the W's hitting .5% at #1 picks AND getting #4 (9.6%) from the Timberwolves?
Answer: .005 * .096 = .00048 = .048%, or 4.8 out of 10,000.

Actually, any of 1/2/3 (.5%/.6%/.6%) plus #4 (9.6%) would be a bonanza!
Answer: (.005+.006+.006) * .096 = .001632 = .1632%, or 1.632 out of 1,000.

The worst case would be to lose MN altogether and wind up with just #14. And there's a 27.6% chance that happens.

odds source table here:
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/05/2021-nba-draft-lottery-odds.html
wraptor347
Ah.

I threw out #5 as an arbitrary number, but good catch.

Hoping warriors get #4. From what I've read, #1-5 are relatively close in talent and #6 is a step down.
Post removed:
by user
philbert
Stanford Jonah said:

philbert said:

One way they could get a big salary in a trade for a pick or picks is to re-sign Oubre and send one or both of their picks along with Oubre for a veteran under contract (not a sign and trade free agent). That could get them a vet with a salary in the $15-20M range. The timing is tricky, though. I believe the draft is before free agency starts. So oubre would have to agree to it and the other team would have to want the player that the Dubs drafted. Or all of those agreements would have to be done informally before the draft.
Oubre is dreaming if he thinks he's going to get over $20M after the season he just had. He's gonna be a mid-level exception player.
I agree that I don't think he's worth $15-20M/year. However, all it takes is one GM to like him enough to do it. It's not like the NBA isn't littered with bad contracts. In any case, if it helps the Dubs keep a big contract slot, I'm all for it.
concordtom
Oubre doesn't fit with the Steph Curry Warriors, which requires lots of running and misdirection. Have you guys seen him jog down court? I think Kareem might be able to beat him.
philbert
Just to be clear, I am advocating for the Dubs to sign and trade Oubre so they can keep his salary slot. They can get cheaper players that fit their system better.
concordtom
We are on the same page.
bearister
Coach v the White House: inside Steve Kerr's extraordinary feud with Donald Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/07/steve-kerr-golden-state-warriors-trump-nba-china?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
Today is nba draft lottery day.
concordtom
WARRIORS GET #7 and #14

Good news is that the Warriors DO get this year's Timberwolves pick at #7.
Bad news is that it wasn't higher - could have been as high as #4 - and that their 14th pick did not miraculously shoot up to 1-4.

Would we have rather had next year's unprotected MN pick? I think not. They could be better than 7, and it's another year spent away from Curry/Klay's prime.

I imagine the Warriors will trade the pick since nobody at 7 appears to be worth waiting for to develop.
sycasey
It's amazing how many picks the Wolves gave away.
concordtom
BearForce2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.