Does your mask comply with any safety standards?

2,102 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LMK5
LMK5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I receive a mask at work, I put it on right away. Every breath taken for the rest of that day is through that mask. I, like everyone else, just assumes the mask is protecting my health, but is that true? How do we know what materials we are breathing in as it passes through the mask? Are there residue fibers, or worse yet, toxic chemical traces being inhaled? When you look at your mask or the box that it came in, does it say what standards the product complies with? My water filters do, why shouldn't my mask?

Here's the problem: In a rush to get masks to people there is a lack of concern as to the quality or the source of the masks. Many of these masks are made in China by small time operators who likely operate with no regulatory oversight. I'm sure medical personnel are using quality masks made by legitimate suppliers like 3M, but what about the rest of us?

In 3 years, are we going to find out that many of us have respiratory illnesses caused by breathing in fibers or toxic fumes from masks that we thought were protecting us? Are the ambulance chasers gearing up for this effort as we speak? I can envision the billboards on the 605 as I write this....
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Eastern Oregon Bear
LMK5 said:

When I receive a mask at work, I put it on right away. Every breath taken for the rest of that day is through that mask. I, like everyone else, just assumes the mask is protecting my health, but is that true? How do we know what materials we are breathing in as it passes through the mask? Are there residue fibers, or worse yet, toxic chemical traces being inhaled? When you look at your mask or the box that it came in, does it say what standards the product complies with? My water filters do, why shouldn't my mask?

Here's the problem: In a rush to get masks to people there is a lack of concern as to the quality or the source of the masks. Many of these masks are made in China by small time operators who likely operate with no regulatory oversight. I'm sure medical personnel are using quality masks made by legitimate suppliers like 3M, but what about the rest of us?

In 3 years, are we going to find out that many of us have respiratory illnesses caused by breathing in fibers or toxic fumes from masks that we thought were protecting us? Are the ambulance chasers gearing up for this effort as we speak?
You sure do make a lot of insinuations unsupported by any evidence.
AunBear89
That's how LMK5 rolls, baby! Facts, details, verifiable sources? He's got no time for that nonsense. He knows what he thinks and that's good enough for him.
sycasey
In general the purpose of masks is to protect everyone else against being infected in case you are carrying the virus and asymptomatic. The chances of protecting yourself from infection are not great with a standard cloth mask.

What toxic fumes do you think you could possibly breathe in from a cloth mask? Your own stinky breath? That was already in your mouth.
bearister
Fact check: Masks don't lead to lung cancer but some include chemicals

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/11/11/fact-check-masks-dont-lead-lung-cancer-but-some-include-chemicals/6176080002/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6176080002

*It is always a good idea to exercise due diligence and research the manufacturer of your masks to see if there is a problem. I have not spent much time looking at the issue but from what I have reviewed, the problem with shoddy mask production is lack of filtration capability, not toxic issues.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
blungld
LMK5 said:

In 3 years, are we going to find out that many of us have respiratory illnesses caused by breathing in fibers or toxic fumes from masks...?
Yes, we will find out that Biden, Obama, Hillary, antifa and all Liberals were totally wrong about the virus and that it was the MASKS that were the real danger all along not the virus (which we should have ignored) and that the great president Trump has secretly been working through Q to protect us from the very dangerous masks all along. Good work!

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
LMK5
bearister said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/11/11/fact-check-masks-dont-lead-lung-cancer-but-some-include-chemicals/6176080002/

*It is always a good idea to exercise due diligence and research the manufacturer of your masks to see if there is a problem. I have not spent much time looking at the issue but from what I have reviewed, the problem with shoddy mask production is lack of filtration capability, not toxic issues.
Thank you for that. Some here put a political spin on absolutely everything, even to their own detriment. It's symbolic of the polarization we have.

Lots of products from China have been found to be dangerous in recent years. Remember the toxic laminate flooring that almost sank Lumber Liquidators? And the melamine that was found in Chinese milk? And the medical equipment that was found to be defective early in the pandemic? We're talking about something far more sensitive here: our breathing.

The reason I bring this up is because a co-worker of mine was getting sick and it was found to be the masks he was receiving at work. When he bought his own masks his issues went away. I think it's smart for us to at least investigate who manufactures our masks and whether the masks meet any safety guidelines. Absent that, the company that makes the masks should be one that has a good safety track record. Breathing in fibers of any kind can cause chronic respiratory issues.
sycasey
If there are masks that make people sick, then get them off the market. Same as any other product.
LMK5
sycasey said:

If there are masks that make people sick, then get them off the market. Same as any other product.
Yes, of course, but there is the distinct possibility that we may find out too late. Look how many years it took, after the fact, to realize that asbestos was harming the people who worked with it. Can you imagine how many mask manufacturers are out there right now, ranging from ethical to outright criminal?
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

Yes, of course, but there is the distinct possibility that we may find out too late. Look how many years it took, after the fact, to realize that asbestos was harming the people who worked with it. Can you imagine how many mask manufacturers are out there right now, ranging from ethical to outright criminal?
Okay, but that's true about almost everything you buy. We may learn something later about it being harmful. And?
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

Okay, but that's true about almost everything you buy. We may learn something later about it being harmful. And?
I'm wondering if there's a way to distinguish between harmful masks and harmless masks. Anybody have a box that they bought? Is there any labeling that mentions the standards they are tested to and comply with?
Eastern Oregon Bear
LMK5 said:

bearister said:

Thank you for that. Some here put a political spin on absolutely everything, even to their own detriment. It's symbolic of the polarization we have.

Lots of products from China have been found to be dangerous in recent years. Remember the toxic laminate flooring that almost sank Lumber Liquidators? And the melamine that was found in Chinese milk? And the medical equipment that was found to be defective early in the pandemic? We're talking about something far more sensitive here: our breathing.

The reason I bring this up is because a co-worker of mine was getting sick and it was found to be the masks he was receiving at work. When he bought his own masks his issues went away. I think it's smart for us to at least investigate who manufactures our masks and whether the masks meet any safety guidelines. Absent that, the company that makes the masks should be one that has a good safety track record. Breathing in fibers of any kind can cause chronic respiratory issues.
I just looked at Amazon and Etsy. There are plenty of face masks labeled as made in the USA. Maybe you should check into those. It might relieve some of your xenophobic anxieties.

Sorry to hear about your co-worker, but doctors and nurses have been wearing masks for decades with no apparent issues. Also people in other parts of the world during the SARS and H1N1 epidemics a number of years back.
BearForce2

The genius that is, Dr. Fauci, the highest paid employee of the federal government.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo
If a mask has 3 or more stars on Amazon, then they are good.
bearister
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

I'm wondering if there's a way to distinguish between harmful masks and harmless masks. Anybody have a box that they bought? Is there any labeling that mentions the standards they are tested to and comply with?

Personal Protective Equipment EUAs | FDA

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-euas
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
dimitrig
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

Yes, there is labeling if you buy a respirator (and not a cloth mask). Of course, anyone can just stick a label in a box and claim it meets regulations, right? That is why I usually wear two masks: an N95 or KN95 underneath a cloth or surgical mask.

A good bet is to buy off of this list:

NIOSH-Approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators

I buy from a large industrial safety company that might be afraid to be sued if they mislead consumers and who are also large enough to go after suppliers selling them defective product.

BTW, I have found that actual 3M brand N95 respirators are now in supply again if you are paranoid. $13 plus shipping for a box of 20.

golden sloth
LMK5 said:

When I receive a mask at work, I put it on right away. Every breath taken for the rest of that day is through that mask. I, like everyone else, just assumes the mask is protecting my health, but is that true?
The masks were never about protecting the individual wearing it, it was about protecting the people around the person wearing the mask by preventing the moisture and breath of the wearer from easily mixing with the open air others breathe.
LMK5
golden sloth said:

LMK5 said:

When I receive a mask at work, I put it on right away. Every breath taken for the rest of that day is through that mask. I, like everyone else, just assumes the mask is protecting my health, but is that true?
The masks were never about protecting the individual wearing it, it was about protecting the people around the person wearing the mask by preventing the moisture and breath of the wearer from easily mixing with the open air others breathe.
Yes, but no matter who the mask is supposed to protect, the individual wearing it is breathing through the mask. That mask needs to be of a certain quality to be safe for the wearer. You follow?
Anarchistbear
Yes, masks for medical use are regulated by FDA as medical devices. There are standards for same- obviously in a pandemic not all have received pre market approval or are monitored
Unit2Sucks
okaydo said:

There are some very under-the-radar 2 star masks that turn out to be even better in the pros than the 4 and 5 star masks. You have to watch the film and do your in-person evaluations and can't just rely on rating services.
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

okaydo said:

There are some very under-the-radar 2 star masks that turn out to be even better in the pros than the 4 and 5 star masks. You have to watch the film and do your in-person evaluations and can't just rely on rating services.
Agreed. Last call: Does anyone have a box or container that their masks came in? Does it have any certifications or notes on standards compliance printed on it?
okaydo
I've been wearing a cloth mask with a pm 2.5 filter. I've been on buses quite a lot, and haven't got it.

But after hearing that she probably double mask, I bought these on sale for $7.50.

But then I saw the thread below, and decided to pony up and spend $56 on 40 KN95s, which will also go to family members. They arrived this morning.

I'll wear the KN95s under my cloth mask.

WalterSobchak
I've only used 3M N95s and P100s but thanks for your concern
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
okaydo
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/white-people-least-likely-to-wear-masks-consistently-study-finds-231848231.html
LMK5
WalterSobchak said:

I've only used 3M N95s and P100s but thanks for your concern
No problem. I'm here to help.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.