Remember the 'Haka'?

980 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sp4149
sp4149
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fellow old Blues remember the Cal Rugby team touring New Zealand and bringing back the 'Haka'

For many years Cal Fans would do the 'Haka' during games.

Many years later I observed Maori Warriors during a commemoration of completing the final rail link between Auckland and Wellington on the North Island 100 years before.

But the 'Haka' was forgotten and neglected at Cal.

But in Europe it has had a rebirth, possibly with Rugby an Olympic sport.

I may not see the Haka in person at Cal for awhile,
but until then I can watch this Dutch video, the 'Haka' to get my Old Blue Blood flowing:

smh
sp4149 said:

but until then I can watch this Dutch video, the 'Haka' to get my Old Blue Blood flowing:
gone walkabout we've seen some hakas, but yours beats the bunch, thanks SP
# take off those red ties
waay off topic -> nearly finished 5 seasons of Dutch tv series Rita/Hjordis [netflix]
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1973692
sp4149
smh said:

sp4149 said:

gone walkabout we've seen some hakas, but yours beats the bunch, thanks SP
# take off those red ties
waay off topic -> nearly finished 5 seasons of Dutch tv series Rita/Hjordis [netflix]
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1973692
Isn't Rita Danish...
smh
sp4149 said:

Isn't Rita Danish...
dutch / danish same-same to me, nice catch, confirmed..

Is Danish and Dutch the same?
> If you live in the US> California and you don't know much about European countries, you're much more likely to be confused about these two words. Danish people come from Denmark, and they speak a language called Danish. Dutch people come from The Netherlands, and they speak Dutch.
Aug 5, 2016
Big C
smh said:

sp4149 said:

Isn't Rita Danish...

> If you live in the US> California and you don't know much about European countries, you're much more likely to be confused about these two words. Danish people come from Denmark, and they speak a language called Danish. Dutch people come from The Netherlands, and they speak Dutch.
Aug 5, 2016

Speaking of, which is the diminutive, the Australian or the Austrian? Or are they two words for exactly the same thing?
golden sloth
Big C said:

smh said:

sp4149 said:

Isn't Rita Danish...

Aug 5, 2016

Speaking of, which is the diminutive, the Australian or the Austrian? Or are they two words for exactly the same thing?
I actually watched a youtube video on this at the beginning of the pandemic. Its because the word east in German is similar to the word south in greek. Basically its a coincidence.

golden sloth
sp4149 said:

Fellow old Blues remember the Cal Rugby team touring New Zealand and bringing back the 'Haka'

For many years Cal Fans would do the 'Haka' during games.

Many years later I observed Maori Warriors during a commemoration of completing the final rail link between Auckland and Wellington on the North Island 100 years before.

But the 'Haka' was forgotten and neglected at Cal.

But in Europe it has had a rebirth, possibly with Rugby an Olympic sport.

I'm pretty sure the Haka died out because people realized that it is meaningful to the Maori, whereas the copycats just thought it looked cool. I am indifferent on the subject of non-kiwis doing the Haka, whereas I am generally pro-cultural appropriation since we are all one culture and shouldn't get hung up on who created what and who can enjoy what, and who can express what, while also believing culture and traditions should evolve and adapt in time.
sp4149
When the All Blacks went to BC Place a couple of years ago, the whole team faced down the locals with their own "HAKA", Damn Impressive. Now that we have a top flight Kiwi Rugger coming to Cal, maybe it's time to remember how the Haka is done...

sp4149
Ten years ago the Kiwi team may have performed their greatest HAKA at the world Cup Finals against France.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.