Recent Attacks Against Asians

10,890 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by going4roses
calbear93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do you think is causing the recent uptick in violence against Asians in the Bay Area, especially by other minorities?

Residual impact of blaming China for COVID-19 and, if so, why is this often minorities against other minorities?

Reduced funding of police budget due to social justice movement?

Pitting minorities against each other by calling one a model minority?

Unless we call out racism against all and have equal outrage no matter who the victim and who the perpetrator, racism itself will continue to grow roots.

Even as a non-minority, just pissed off that outrage in the face of racism against Asians and bigotry against Jews seem to be two or three levels muted. Maybe I am wrong about this but attacks against elders just get my blood boiling.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/08/us/asian-american-attacks-bay-area/index.html

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/charges-dropped-against-suspect-in-attack-of-elderly-asian-man-in-san-francisco/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2021/02/the-us-is-seeing-a-massive-spike-in-anti-asian-hate-crimes.html

https://abc7news.com/shocking-video-shows-man-pushed-to-ground-in-oaklands-chinatown/10311111/

BearForce2

Violence is up during the pandemic, violence towards Asians is up, I've seen some racist videos taken mostly from cities like NYC where Asians are blamed for covid.

Black on Asian violence is a taboo topic that the media does not cover but it's real. Let's face it, in the Bay Area and elsewhere, the media makes an effort to hide the race of the perpetrators.

https://kendawg.medium.com/this-is-what-black-on-asian-crime-looks-like-ac41e740a87c
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calbear93
BearForce2 said:

Violence is up during the pandemic, violence towards Asians is up, I've seen some racist videos taken mostly from cities like NYC where Asians are blamed for covid.

Black on Asian violence is a taboo topic that the media does not cover but it's real. Let's face it, in the Bay Area and elsewhere, the media makes an effort to hide the race of the perpetrators.

https://kendawg.medium.com/this-is-what-black-on-asian-crime-looks-like-ac41e740a87c

This has been my main concern with racial issues, including on this board. There are so many different tiers of outrage on racism depending on the group, with some more favored than others. Comes across as less of a principled stand against racism and more a matter of political convenience. Really baffling why there is so much apathy towards Asians and Jews, including treating as acceptable humor offensive jokes against those groups. Going to UC Berkeley, we were so exposed to different cultures and the humanity of the different groups that any type racism or bigotry should offend all of us. What I see often times from both liberals and conservatives is indifference to anything not involving black and white and if it is not my group, I don't care.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

This has been my main concern with racial issues, including on this board. There are so many different tiers of outrage on racism depending on the group, with some more favored than others. Comes across as less of a principled stand against racism and more a matter of political convenience. Really baffling why there is so much apathy towards Asians and Jews, including treating as acceptable humor offensive jokes against those groups. Going to UC Berkeley, we were so exposed to different cultures and the humanity of the different groups that any type racism or bigotry should offend all of us. What I see often times from both liberals and conservatives is indifference to anything not involving black and white and if it is not my group, I don't care.

This is why the attempted redefinition of racism as requiring a power differential, oh wait, not individual power but systemic power, is dangerous. If an individual has the power to hit you over the head with a bat and does so based on your race, it is racism and needs to be dealt with as such. Asians have been dealing with a lot more crap since COVID even while having one of the lowest incidence rates. Not that it would make it okay if they had a higher incidence rate. It just adds a layer of stupid.

Yes, Asians and Jews both have the model minority thing going and have achieved success at higher rates. However, European history is filled with mistreatment of Jews because some are successful. That should be remembered when people are more apathetic to their mistreatment. Asians may not have experienced genocide as a result of such resentment, but they still face a lot
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

This is why the attempted redefinition of racism as requiring a power differential, oh wait, not individual power but systemic power, is dangerous. If an individual has the power to hit you over the head with a bat and does so based on your race, it is racism and needs to be dealt with as such. Asians have been dealing with a lot more crap since COVID even while having one of the lowest incidence rates. Not that it would make it okay if they had a higher incidence rate. It just adds a layer of stupid.

Yes, Asians and Jews both have the model minority thing going and have achieved success at higher rates. However, European history is filled with mistreatment of Jews because some are successful. That should be remembered when people are more apathetic to their mistreatment. Asians may not have experienced genocide as a result of such resentment, but they still face a lot

Not surprised we agree.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

Asians may not have experienced genocide as a result of such resentment, but they still face a lot
And though thankfully they were not murdered en masse, they were once rounded up into camps by our own government. A lighter version of the same issue: the model minority that got too successful and had to be viewed with suspicion.

There is definitely a strange relationship between Blacks and Asians in America, in that they seem largely fascinated with one another's cultural output but there is also a good deal of resentment, particularly towards the Asian community because of that "model minority" status. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that were behind this recent increase in violence, though IMO it's probably too soon to know what all the causes are.

Spike Lee had his finger on the problem way back in 1989.

calbear93
sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

Asians may not have experienced genocide as a result of such resentment, but they still face a lot
And though thankfully they were not murdered en masse, they were once rounded up into camps by our own government. A lighter version of the same issue: the model minority that got too successful and had to be viewed with suspicion.

There is definitely a strange relationship between Blacks and Asians in America, in that they seem largely fascinated with one another's cultural output but there is also a good deal of resentment, particularly towards the Asian community because of that "model minority" status. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that were behind this recent increase in violence, though IMO it's probably too soon to know what all the causes are.

Good points. I think any race that is used as a model minority to justify injustice against another group must push back. I also think we all need to move beyond black and white and call out racism or bigotry as a whole against any group. IMHO, not seeing much of either.
Anarchistbear
Historically there has also been animosity between black and Jew. Some of this is living cheek to jowl in urban areas; some of it is shop owner vs customer; some landlord vs tenant and the accompanying stereotypes. But it's also true that this kind of animosity and violence to new incoming immigrants has always been true regardless of race and the resentments have also been universal to races.
going4roses
I don't want to kneecap the discussion so I won't bother adding my thoughts about this /these situations.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Anarchistbear
going4roses said:

I don't want to kneecap the discussion so I won't bother adding my thoughts about this /these situations.

That's a useless statement if there ever was one
BearlyCareAnymore
going4roses said:

Smh
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

Good points. I think any race that is used as a model minority to justify injustice against another group must push back. I also think we all need to move beyond black and white and call out racism or bigotry as a whole against any group. IMHO, not seeing much of either.
There are two issues here:

1. In general Asians tend not to make as much of a stink about stuff. That seems cultural, to want to keep problems hidden within the family and not take them public.

2. Though their numbers are growing, there have always been way fewer Asians in this country than Blacks, plus their families generally don't have as deep of roots in the community (by that I mean in most parts of the US; obviously in California it's different). That tends to make your political voice softer.

But as we've seen recently, eventually things can get bad enough that you will start to hear from them.
calbear93
Anarchistbear said:

Historically there has also been animosity between black and Jew. Some of this is living cheek to jowl in urban areas; some of it is shop owner vs customer; some landlord vs tenant and the accompanying stereotypes. But it's also true that this kind of animosity and violence to new incoming immigrants has always been true regardless of race and the resentments have also been universal to races.

That is true. Irish vs Italians and then against Chinese. We over simplify by making this just white vs black when we are so much more diverse with so many more issues that we all need to own up to.
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

I would not want to lose sight of the fact in this conversation that Black people are not the primary perpetrators of prejudice against Asians and Jews
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

I would not want to lose sight of the fact in this conversation that Black people are not the primary perpetrators of prejudice against Asians and Jews

That is most likely true but is there any data on this as far as violent attacks against Asians and Jews? Just curious because I don't have any data one way or another. With so much gentrification, would be interested to know what the data shows. I guess I can google it too.
going4roses
Anarchistbear said:

going4roses said:

That's a useless statement if there ever was one

Sorry you do not get it
going4roses
OaktownBear said:

going4roses said:

Smh

Exactly
sycasey
calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

That is most likely true but is there any data on this as far as violent attacks against Asians and Jews? Just curious because I don't have any data one way or another. With so much gentrification, would be interested to know what the data shows. I guess I can google it too.
BF2's link does have some data, and it does suggest that at least in the US, Blacks actually are the primary perpetrators of violence against Asians.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18.pdf
(Page 13, Table 14)

Though I should say that I'm not sure if this is a long-term trend or just one unrepresentative year. Strangely, the statistics on the next year's report did not include Asians as a racial group.
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

BF2's link does have some data, and it does suggest that at least in the US, Blacks actually are the primary perpetrators of violence against Asians.

(Page 13, Table 14)

Though I should say that I'm not sure if this is a long-term trend or just one unrepresentative year. Strangely, the statistics on the next year's report did not include Asians as a racial group.

Couple of takeaway for me. The fact that, generally, the biggest percentage are crimes committed by members of the same race indicates how segregated we are and most crimes are based on proximity and not bigotry. The only exception is black on Asian crime. That seems to be an outlier. Not sure why that is the case.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

(Page 13, Table 14)

Couple of takeaway for me. The fact that, generally, the biggest percentage are crimes committed by members of the same race indicates how segregated we are and most crimes are based on proximity and not bigotry. The only exception is black on Asian crime. That seems to be an outlier. Not sure why that is the case.
Yes, that first fact has been the case for a while: most crimes against black people are by other black people, same for white people against white people, etc. This one outlier is notable, though again since it's just one year's statistics I'm not sure how much of a trend it is.
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

(Page 13, Table 14)

Maybe so, but to the legitimate point about institutional racism that is lost in the "minorities can't be racist" malarkey, the overall impact of physical attacks by Black people on Asians and Jews massively pales in comparison to the impacts of institutional prejudice on their lives. Physical attacks are pretty isolated while institutional prejudice affects almost everyone almost every day. I was not referring to a comparison of physical attacks.

People with power do not need physical violence to exercise their power. In our society I would argue that Asians and Jews are far more negatively affected by White prejudice than Black prejudice
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

(Page 13, Table 14)

Maybe so, but to the legitimate point about institutional racism that is lost in the "minorities can't be racist" malarkey, the overall impact of physical attacks by Black people on Asians and Jews massively pales in comparison to the impacts of institutional prejudice on their lives. Physical attacks are pretty isolated while institutional prejudice affects almost everyone almost every day. I was not referring to a comparison of physical attacks.

People with power do not need physical violence to exercise their power. In our society I would argue that Asians and Jews are far more negatively affected by White prejudice than Black prejudice

I think you are right. However, I would love to hear a perspective from someone impacted who has lived that experience and get their take for a fuller understanding.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

(Page 13, Table 14)

Sure. For example, I'd say the Japanese internment camps were a much greater attack on Asian-Americans writ large than the individual criminal acts captured in that data.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

(Page 13, Table 14)

I think you are right. However, I would love to hear a perspective from someone impacted who has lived that experience and get their take for a fuller understanding.
Obviously that is going to depend on their personal experience. I imagine someone who lives and/or works in an area where violence is an ongoing threat, violence is their primary concern. For the members of my family I'll just say that prejudice from Black people is not remotely their primary concern.
Big C

Good luck being Asian and getting into Stanford or the Ivy Leagues, at least at a rate commensurate with your academic profile.
calbear93
Big C said:

Good luck being Asian and getting into Stanford or the Ivy Leagues, at least at a rate commensurate with your academic profile.

Only group to face racism and reverse racism at the same time. Have a deep appreciation for Korean culture with my best friend's mom feeding me almost every day during our study sessions. Spicy rice cakes and Korean bbq (especially marinated short ribs) became an addiction for me.
going4roses
No such thing as reverse racism. Ever.
calbear93
going4roses said:

No such thing as reverse racism. Ever.

Yawn. Sorry, you lack credibility. You have proven to be only
Interested in promoting one race over all others. Not very compelling.
going4roses
I guess if that makes you feel better but I'm sorry for that you lack the understanding of racism.

I get it you have to be the way you are unlike others whom bear the scars.
BearForce2
Big C said:

Yean, leave it up to those racist left wing academics to put them in their place.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
dajo9
BearForce2 said:

Big C said:

Yean, leave it up to those racist left wing academics to put them in their place.

The China Virus
American Vermin
calbear93
going4roses said:

I guess if that makes you feel better but I'm sorry for that you lack the understanding of racism.

I get it you have to be the way you are unlike others whom bear the scars.

You have to be accountable for your words like we all do. And my prior post reflects your prior words. And you being a minority does not make you some final authority on what is racism and what isn't and whose pains of racism is worthy and whose isn't. Just so you know, you are not the only minority.
dajo9
Lecturing the black guy about racism. Oh my God. Sometimes white people are the worst.

Now that is offensive
American Vermin
BearForce2
dajo9 said:

The China Virus

Meh. Personally, I think if Trump called it the Wuhan virus, he could have avoided some political damage while still being able to stick it to the CCP.

calbear93
dajo9 said:

Lecturing the black guy about racism. Oh my God.

Oh my God? You are such a trite dud. Has there ever been an emptier package? You try so hard to conform yourself to someone you think comes across as clever but you do realize how unlikable you are. Horrifying how much worse you must be in person. What a sad existence for you.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.