Matt Taibbi's "Bombholed" a story of the media's failures.

8,046 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
MinotStateBeav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

The video makes mention of the Alfa Bank server scandal. So, did we ever find out why the Trump Org and the Russian Alfa Bank were communicating?
American Vermin
BearForce2
MinotStateBeav said:

Where's the line between fake news propaganda and real news? This is a question the mainstream media do not recognize anymore.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
dajo9
dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

The video makes mention of the Alfa Bank server scandal. So, did we ever find out why the Trump Org and the Russian Alfa Bank were communicating?

I'll answer this question myself then. No, we never figured out why the Russian Alfa Bank server was communicating with Trump Org in 2016.

See, this Matt Taibbi video does a lot of slick editing but is really light on anything substantive and very heavy on the distractions. A great example is the question of how many U.S. agencies determined Russia was trying to influence our election. Answer:
Who cares. That is a distraction from the key point that U.S. intelligence determined the Russians were trying to influence our election (further confirmed by the Mueller investigation).

So what happened with the Russian Alfa Bank that Taibbi is insinuating was a false scandal and a failure of media? Again, we don't know because the story was hidden (bombholed) by the U.S. government during the Trump Administration. And Pravda-like Matt Taibbi dutifully insinuates that it therefore was a false allegation by the media.

The failed Mueller Report (I say failed because so much of what the American people expected to be investigated was not investigated) did not mention the Russian Alfa Bank. When Mueller was asked about it in Congress the first words out of his mouth were "I don't know".

The Senate Intelligence Report did mention the Russian Alfa Bank. It said the FBI's assessment was they couldnt determine it reflected covert communication. They also said they couldn't determine a reason for the unusual activity. They also said the stories from the Russian Alfa Bank and Trump Org were inconsistent. In other words, it has not been fully investigated. Trump's government bombholed the story. For Taibbi that is a big blow to the media's credibility. That is why Taibbi has lost so much relevance.
American Vermin
MinotStateBeav

dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

What is the argument here? That the media shouldn't report what they are told about the death of a Capitol Police officer?
American Vermin
MinotStateBeav
Big C
dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

What is the argument here? That the media shouldn't report what they are told about the death of a Capitol Police officer?

Some guys on my Twitter said that they read on the Internet that the officer was killed by a couple of Nancy Pelosi's Antifa people wearing fake MAGA hats. False flag operation.

Sounds reasonable.
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

Oh. If the rioters didn't use a fire extinguisher on the officer and instead killed him some other way, I guess that's OK.
MinotStateBeav
Or they didn't kill him. Guess we'll have to wait for the report to come out.
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
dajo9
Dumb Bear Insider Posters said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

That death due to bad reaction to pepper spray is not quite the same thing as death due to fire extinguisher to the head? That maybe corroborating information before publishing something as fact would be a better journalistic practice?

I dunno, maybe the truth matters here more than your spin? Let's find out what *actually* happened to him. Can we just for once care about the truth instead of you and your party's lame spin?

I'm all for truth but if the Capitol Police tell the media something untrue, that is not on the media
American Vermin
BearForce2
MinotStateBeav
dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

That death due to bad reaction to pepper spray is not quite the same thing as death due to fire extinguisher to the head? That maybe corroborating information before publishing something as fact would be a better journalistic practice?

I dunno, maybe the truth matters here more than your spin? Let's find out what *actually* happened to him. Can we just for once care about the truth instead of you and your party's lame spin?

I'm all for truth but if the Capitol Police tell the media something untrue, that is not on the media

dajo9
This is a really bad situation. Why has the Capitol Police allowed there to be so much uncertainty around the death of one of their officers? The public (including the NY Times) shouldn't have to be relying on anonymous law enforcement sources to cover a story like this. Any story of even a fraction of the magnitude would have regular press conference updates from those in charge - in this case the head of the Capitol Police. In the press conference, they would explain the situation and the public would have the opportunity to ask questions.

There have been no press conferences. Law enforcement protecting the Capitol building has been hiding and not living up to its responsibilities. And that includes the Acting Chiefs that have more recently been put in charge. Getting information about the death of an officer allegedly killed in the line of duty shouldn't be like pulling teeth for the media or the public.
American Vermin
Econ For Dummies
hanky1 bot army said:

dajo9 said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

You are so not for truth. On a forum with BearFarce2, you are sycasey are still by far the least truthful people on this forum.

The media is whitewashing the Democratic Party now, which lied about the $2,000 checks, went on vacation without passing the $1,400 checks, and won't cancel student debt. How's that for truth pinhead?

First 100 days would get us to roughly April 20. Congress is on vacation right now with 1/3 of those days used up and all of note that's happened so far is the second impeachment. If Biden thinks he's going to be the new FDR, he better start moving some legislation through.
Eastern Oregon Bear
dajo9 said:

This is a really bad situation. Why has the Capitol Police allowed there to be so much uncertainty around the death of one of their officers? The public (including the NY Times) shouldn't have to be relying on anonymous law enforcement sources to cover a story like this. Any story of even a fraction of the magnitude would have regular press conference updates from those in charge - in this case the head of the Capitol Police. In the press conference, they would explain the situation and the public would have the opportunity to ask questions.

There have been no press conferences. Law enforcement protecting the Capitol building has been hiding and not living up to its responsibilities. And that includes the Acting Chiefs that have more recently been put in charge. Getting information about the death of an officer allegedly killed in the line of duty shouldn't be like pulling teeth for the media or the public.
I'd like to hear some more details about this too. However, before I write this death off to natural causes, I'll point out that blood clots can be caused by injuries and there certainly were quite a few rioters swinging their assorted flagpoles, sticks, etc at the police that day.
BearForce2
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Oh. If the rioters didn't use a fire extinguisher on the officer and instead killed him some other way, I guess that's OK.
You have no idea how he died and neither did those that reported it. And yet, they reported death by fire extinguisher. I guess that's OK.

Econ For Dummies

MinotStateBeav said:

Quote:

The problem with this story is that it is false in all respects. From the start, there was almost no evidence to substantiate it. The only basis were the two original New York Times articles asserting that this happened based on the claim of anonymous law enforcement officials.

Despite this alleged brutal murder taking place in one of the most surveilled buildings on the planet, filled that day with hundreds of cellphones taping the events, nobody saw video of it. No photographs depicted it. To this day, no autopsy report has been released. No details from any official source have been provided.

Not only was there no reason to believe this happened from the start, the little that was known should have caused doubt. On the same day the Times published its two articles with the "fire extinguisher" story, ProPublica published one that should have raised serious doubts about it.
The outlet interviewed Sicknick's brother, who said that "Sicknick had texted [the family] Wednesday night to say that while he had been pepper-sprayed, he was in good spirits." That obviously conflicted with the Times' story that the mob "overpowered Sicknick" and "struck him in the head with a fire extinguisher," after which, "with a bloody gash in his head, Mr. Sicknick was rushed to the hospital and placed on life support."
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-false-and-exaggerated-claims?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cta
BearForce2
Anarchistbear
SFBear92 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Quote:

The problem with this story is that it is false in all respects. From the start, there was almost no evidence to substantiate it. The only basis were the two original New York Times articles asserting that this happened based on the claim of anonymous law enforcement officials.

Despite this alleged brutal murder taking place in one of the most surveilled buildings on the planet, filled that day with hundreds of cellphones taping the events, nobody saw video of it. No photographs depicted it. To this day, no autopsy report has been released. No details from any official source have been provided.

Not only was there no reason to believe this happened from the start, the little that was known should have caused doubt. On the same day the Times published its two articles with the "fire extinguisher" story, ProPublica published one that should have raised serious doubts about it.
The outlet interviewed Sicknick's brother, who said that "Sicknick had texted [the family] Wednesday night to say that while he had been pepper-sprayed, he was in good spirits." That obviously conflicted with the Times' story that the mob "overpowered Sicknick" and "struck him in the head with a fire extinguisher," after which, "with a bloody gash in his head, Mr. Sicknick was rushed to the hospital and placed on life support."
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-false-and-exaggerated-claims?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cta

It doesn't fit the current narrative that there is a great " insurgency" that threatens our fragile democracy- the same narrative from the same people pushing other fantasies- Russians, fascists, civil war, coups, etc. Except everyone involved with this " insurgency" ain't putting their life on the line for Donald Trump, has gone home and is in bed by nine
dajo9
Yes, the Capitol attack and the Russian attacks are just fantasies

American Vermin
Anarchistbear
dajo9 said:

Says the guy with a Parler account
dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

dajo9 said:

Says the guy with a Parler account

Very substantive
American Vermin
MinotStateBeav

dajo9 said:

I'd like to hear some more details about this too. However, before I write this death off to natural causes, I'll point out that blood clots can be caused by injuries and there certainly were quite a few rioters swinging their assorted flagpoles, sticks, etc at the police that day.
His mother said he was not hit on the head.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9275449/Mom-Capitol-police-officer-Brian-Sicknick-believes-died-stroke.html
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

His mother said he was not hit on the head.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9275449/Mom-Capitol-police-officer-Brian-Sicknick-believes-died-stroke.html
You don't have to get hit on the head to develop a blood clot.
MinotStateBeav
You do when people said he got hit over the head with a fire extinguisher.
dajo9
MinotStateBeav is more upset about the particulars of this story than he is about the fact a Trump mob stormed the Capitol and shut down Congress
American Vermin
BearForce2
dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav is more upset about the particulars of this story than he is about the fact a Trump mob stormed the Capitol and shut down Congress

dajo9 thinks facts don't matter if you're upset enough, even though you don't really know what you're upset about.
BearForce2

dajo9
American Vermin
Econ For Dummies
dajo9 said:

I'm more upset that we're still paying for the National Guard to occupy Washington D.C. and that a fence has been erected around the Capitol than I am about a mob storming the Congress. It would have been relatively simple to prevent the mob from getting inside the Capitol had they bothered to do any proper security. Now they've used that incident (in which the only death that wasn't a protestor may have been a non-violent death) to enact martial law in our nation's Capitol.

If you want your government to not look as if it's illegitimate, you're doing a terrible job by keeping an armed presence there.
dajo9
It's a convenient mess up for you Trumpers. Every time somebody brings up the Capitol being stormed by a mob of Trump supporters and the Capitol Police being attacked, and the Executive being negligent in their duties to protect and defend you'll say, "whatabout. . ."
American Vermin
Econ For Dummies
dajo9 said:

It's a convenient mess up for you Trumpers. Every time somebody brings up the Capitol being stormed by a mob of Trump supporters and the Capitol Police being attacked, and the Executive being negligent in their duties to protect and defend you'll say, "whatabout. . ."
Trump was negligent. His whole Stop The Steal thing was narcissism and grift at its finest.
BearForce2
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.