Summer Olympics Viewing Thread

2,712 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fun fact: The Tokyo Games are the first of 5 Olympic Games during the Biden presidency, which will be the most of any president.

bearister
"The world's Olympic athletes weren't subjected to the usual rigorous anti-doping regime over the 16-month period before the Tokyo Games, which open tomorrow, Axios' Erin Doherty writes.

For three months early in the pandemic, virtually all drug-testing programs were suspended. That may have opened the door for athletes to use performance-enhancing drugs, AP notes.
There was a 45% reduction in testing globally in 2020 compared with 2019, according to the World Anti-Doping Agency.

"Unless you're a fool, you'd have to be concerned," said Travis Tygart, CEO of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
Between the lines: Track and field has seen a slew of personal bests in addition to NCAA, national and even world records over the past year-plus." Axios

Jamaican sprinter Ben Johnson just had bad timing.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
I'm surprised how interesting the skateboarding is to me. Those guys are going to hurt getting out of bed when they're my age.

Japan's Yuto Horigome wins first ever Olympic gold medal in skateboarding

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/25/olympic-skateboarding-yuto-horigome-nyjah-houston?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo
BearForce2 said:

Yup, the U.S. olympic team started off with the Trump hangover. But Kiefer is leading the U.S, Olympians to the Biden bump.
okaydo
Oh, man. USBasketball is Trumping up.

BearForce2
okay, why do you want to turn your own Olympic thread political?

Jill Biden brings a dose of normalcy to Olympic Games amid a pandemic

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/25/politics/jill-biden-olympic-games-pandemic/index.html

I heard she brought some of Hunter's art pieces with her to sell to the Japanese Prime Minister.

okaydo
BearForce2 said:

okay, why do you want to turn your own Olympic thread political?

Jill Biden brings a dose of normalcy to Olympic Games amid a pandemic

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/25/politics/jill-biden-olympic-games-pandemic/index.html

I heard she brought some of Hunter's art pieces with her to sell to the Japanese Prime Minister.

Trump is my new role model. I now live by the saying, "What Would Trump Do?"

And what would Trump do if he was president during the Summer Olympics?

He would make it political!!!!

okaydo
BearForce2
This is incredible news.
bearister
"Olympic Taekwondo punching techniques anywhere beside the front and side of the torso."

Boy, that rule makes this a "like kissing your sister" competition to watch.

Judo is a lot of fun to watch if one of the combatants is better than the other. When the competitors are evenly matched, you can mow your lawn and it will grow back before someone scores a point.
chazzed
This is rather cool:

bearister
The Olympics bring back memories of Bob Costas' pink eye problem in 2014. Every time the telecast returned to him, his condition had deteriorated further. It was like he was gradually morphing into a monster.

*I will concede, however, the guy was an f'ing trooper.
chazzed
A woman from Bermuda also won her country's first Olympic gold medal:

bearister
bearister
China's swimmers racing to escape country's doping past | Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/swimming-chinas-swimmers-racing-escape-countrys-doping-past-2021-07-19/
bearister
bearister said:

"The world's Olympic athletes weren't subjected to the usual rigorous anti-doping regime over the 16-month period before the Tokyo Games, which open tomorrow, Axios' Erin Doherty writes.

For three months early in the pandemic, virtually all drug-testing programs were suspended. That may have opened the door for athletes to use performance-enhancing drugs, AP notes.
There was a 45% reduction in testing globally in 2020 compared with 2019, according to the World Anti-Doping Agency.

"Unless you're a fool, you'd have to be concerned," said Travis Tygart, CEO of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
Between the lines: Track and field has seen a slew of personal bests in addition to NCAA, national and even world records over the past year-plus." Axios

Cal's Ryan Murphy has raised issues of Russkie swimmers being jacked. Look at Britain's Adam Peaty:

and Caeleb Dressel

BearForce2

Looking ahead to the next Winter Olympics in Beijing, if Biden is still president in 2022 will he cave under pressure from the world community demanding answers from China?
bearister
World Record in Men's 400m Hurdles

CLICK ON WATCH ON YOUTUBE
bearister
Won Gold in 400m hurdles and set WR.

https://images.axios.com/EVJTn69M6mGgIiL0AgJ5G41s6gU=/0x250:5797x3511/1920x1080/2021/08/04/1628045307658.jpg
Sydney McLaughlin (C) with Dalilah Muhammad (L) and Femke Bol (R). Photo: Giuseppe Cacace/AFP via Getty Images

bearister
concordtom
BearForce2 said:

One day in the future, we will travel in drone taxis above out cities like this.

The technology is already here.
The regulators (FAA) are developing the rules and the command hub.
Long ways until customer acceptance.

But it's coming. Rivers of vessels in the air, constantly.
With new renewable energy technologies, the margin cost to power vessels declines to zero, reducing the financial barriers to travel this way.

But this is a topic for another thread....
concordtom
chazzed said:

This is rather cool:

Sounds inspiring. But what the F am I looking at here??? You couldn't find a better video in order to satisfy your readers?
concordtom
bearister said:

The Olympics bring back memories of Bob Costas' pink eye problem in 2014. Every time the telecast returned to him, his condition had deteriorated further. It was like he was gradually morphing into a monster.

*I will concede, however, the guy was an f'ing trooper.

If you can do that to Trump's eye, I will give you a star.
concordtom
bearister said:

Okay. Better.
Starred!
concordtom
bearister said:

bearister said:

Cal's Ryan Murphy has raised issues of Russkie swimmers being jacked. Look at Britain's Adam Peaty:

and Caeleb Dressel

I continue to fail to understand why people think tattoos are a good look.

concordtom
BearForce2 said:

Back in the olden days, when the land shook from an earthquake, they reasoned that the Gods were angry.

You can convince yourself of anything.
concordtom
bearister said:

World Record in Men's 400m Hurdles

And the dude is white.
Unprecedented???
No, but definitely not something you see every day!
okaydo
okaydo
What are the chances that 2 Americans of partial Japanese descent would win the British Open and the Olympic Gold Medal for Golf in a span of a few weeks?
oski003
Rapinoe scored 2 goals today.
chazzed
Exclusive: Two Russian coaches, doctor banned for doping still active in sport:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-sport-doping-russia-exclusive/exclusive-two-russian-coaches-doctor-banned-for-doping-still-active-in-sport-idUKKCN1T71BD?edition-redirect=uk
helltopay1
Ah yes...Lester Holt.....He was caught giving the questions to Hillary during the 2016 debate with trump...still has his job...amazing...clearly a firing offense . But, he is untouchable....black liberal...a black liberal who cheats..Wouldn't trust him as a bartender...His drinks would probably be watered down..
okaydo
helltopay1 said:

Ah yes...Lester Holt.....He was caught giving the questions to Hillary during the 2016 debate with trump...still has his job...amazing...clearly a firing offense . But, he is untouchable....black liberal...a black liberal who cheats..Wouldn't trust him as a bartender...His drinks would probably be watered down..

Wow, a black liberal Republican.....https://time.com/4501616/donald-trump-debate-lester-holt-democrat/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.