Masks again

2,857 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

chazzed said:

Snowflakes are not able to adapt. What happened to the rugged Anerican?

Science evolves and changes as new data is gathered.

Republicans are incapable of this.

I knew a year ago that the vaccines didn't clear the virus in the nose and airways. This was well documented in the data from the primate challenges. Unfortunately, the data did not support the CDC's public policy driven goals.
The original "alpha" variant did show far reduced transmission after people had been vaccinated. Delta is more transmissible. The CDC was correct about the version of COVID that was in circulation at the time. Now there is a new version.

Is this the first ever coronavirus to mutate? Or does it mutate like EVERY single coronavirus? It would be one thing if the trials showed the vaccine was actually effective against getting the virus. The monkey challenge data was clear as the vaccinated monkeys did not clear the ALPHA virus in the nose. As for humans, only AZN tested their trial participants regularly, which is why they showed such low efficacy and had a lot to do with their rejection. Moderna and Pfizer participants had to show symptoms and then call and get a recommendation to get tested. They still all do very well against severe disease though.

Sorry that the CDC (or anyone else) was not able to accurately predict exactly which way this coronavirus would mutate.

We have a worldwide pandemic that has been mutating for more than a year and the CDC convinced you that a less infectious version may likely spread more than a more infectious version? Do they also sell ice to Eskimos?
This question doesn't make any sense.

Fact 1: highly infectious worldwide pandemic
Fact 2: this virus is a coronavirus and they mutate
Fact 3: this virus has been mutating for more than a year
Fact 4: Sycasey and the CDC are somehow stunned that a more infectious variant is in the U.S.

1. I never said mutation was a surprise.
2. I said no one can predict exactly HOW or WHEN or WHERE the virus will mutate, including the CDC.
3. That means you can't just assume a more contagious variant will emerge. The CDC can only make recommendations based on current conditions.

Got it?

Take the red pill and wake the **** up.

Got it?

Edited to add that this is my favorite excuse:

The CDC can only make recommendations based on current conditions.

You get bonus points.

"Excuse." Only a person deep in the conspiracy rabbit hole would use that language here.

They never should have lifted the mask guidance. Delta is far more transmissible than the other variants, although it does not appear as adept at bypassing vaccine protections as others, like Gamma or Beta. If Delta ever picks up attributes of Beta (South African Variant) that enable it to bypass vaccine protections, then we are going to have a very bad time. I fear that this will be inevitable in time due to environmental pressure on Delta to present further viral escape mechanisms.
They would have been criticized whether they lifted the masking guidance or not. The US is full of selfish aholes who refuse make any reasonable sacrifice for anyone. This is compounded by a number of nutjobs who will explicitly act against their own self-interest if they think they can piss people off. With that in mind, had the CDC not lifted the mask mandates when they did, they would have been subject to withering criticism. And we already had an anti-mask revolt brewing in the south, regardless of what the CDC recommended so let's not pretend like CDC guidance is the the be all end all for pandemic control. Ultimately local public health authorities are responsible for enacting guidance and their hands are tied in far too many states and localities.

We know what we know now and should act accordingly. The CDC was never going to be able to stop Delta's rise, but acting now at least signals to people who are capable of even the smallest of sacrifices that it's a good idea to mask in public.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

chazzed said:

I knew a year ago that the vaccines didn't clear the virus in the nose and airways. This was well documented in the data from the primate challenges. Unfortunately, the data did not support the CDC's public policy driven goals.
The original "alpha" variant did show far reduced transmission after people had been vaccinated. Delta is more transmissible. The CDC was correct about the version of COVID that was in circulation at the time. Now there is a new version.

Is this the first ever coronavirus to mutate? Or does it mutate like EVERY single coronavirus? It would be one thing if the trials showed the vaccine was actually effective against getting the virus. The monkey challenge data was clear as the vaccinated monkeys did not clear the ALPHA virus in the nose. As for humans, only AZN tested their trial participants regularly, which is why they showed such low efficacy and had a lot to do with their rejection. Moderna and Pfizer participants had to show symptoms and then call and get a recommendation to get tested. They still all do very well against severe disease though.

Sorry that the CDC (or anyone else) was not able to accurately predict exactly which way this coronavirus would mutate.

We have a worldwide pandemic that has been mutating for more than a year and the CDC convinced you that a less infectious version may likely spread more than a more infectious version? Do they also sell ice to Eskimos?

Fact 4: Sycasey and the CDC are somehow stunned that a more infectious variant is in the U.S.

2. I said no one can predict exactly HOW or WHEN or WHERE the virus will mutate, including the CDC.
3. That means you can't just assume a more contagious variant will emerge. The CDC can only make recommendations based on current conditions.

Got it?

Got it?

You get bonus points.

"Excuse." Only a person deep in the conspiracy rabbit hole would use that language here.

They never should have lifted the mask guidance. Delta is far more transmissible than the other variants, although it does not appear as adept at bypassing vaccine protections as others, like Gamma or Beta. If Delta ever picks up attributes of Beta (South African Variant) that enable it to bypass vaccine protections, then we are going to have a very bad time. I fear that this will be inevitable in time due to environmental pressure on Delta to present further viral escape mechanisms.
They would have been criticized whether they lifted the masking guidance or not. The US is full of selfish aholes who refuse make any reasonable sacrifice for anyone. This is compounded by a number of nutjobs who will explicitly act against their own self-interest if they think they can piss people off. With that in mind, had the CDC not lifted the mask mandates when they did, they would have been subject to withering criticism. And we already had an anti-mask revolt brewing in the south, regardless of what the CDC recommended so let's not pretend like CDC guidance is the the be all end all for pandemic control. Ultimately local public health authorities are responsible for enacting guidance and their hands are tied in far too many states and localities.

We know what we know now and should act accordingly. The CDC was never going to be able to stop Delta's rise, but acting now at least signals to people who are capable of even the smallest of sacrifices that it's a good idea to mask in public.

Bull***** CDC guidance led to CALOSHA guidance which led Cali business to do two things:
1) allow employees who had proof or attestation of vaccination to not have to wear a mask indoors; and
2) allow customers to come in without a mask. My business installed plastic guards at the counters and had signs up saying you need wear a mask if not vaccinated.

Your new defense of the CDC is that they are powerless. They shouldn't be. Is this the Mark Fox defense?
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

chazzed said:

Got it?

Got it?

You get bonus points.

Bull***** CDC guidance led to CALOSHA guidance which led Cali business to do two things:
1) allow employees who had proof or attestation of vaccination to not have to wear a mask indoors; and
2) allow customers to come in without a mask. My business installed plastic guards at the counters and had signs up saying you need wear a mask if not vaccinated.

Your new defense of the CDC is that they are powerless. They shouldn't be. Is this the Mark Fox defense?

Are you now advocating for mask mandates to remain in place forever? If not forever, when would you end them? Given that you are opposed to vaccination mandates and that you criticize all current vaccines, it's unclear what your proposal is.

Or maybe you have another conspiracy theory for this.
Anarchistbear

NYT and WAPO being attacked for misinformation-. Lol- who do you trust- the media, CDC , White House or none of the above

Unit2Sucks
bearister

It is nearly impossible to convince people of what they don't want to believe.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

chazzed said:

Got it?

Got it?

You get bonus points.

Are you now advocating for mask mandates to remain in place forever? If not forever, when would you end them? Given that you are opposed to vaccination mandates and that you criticize all current vaccines, it's unclear what your proposal is.

Or maybe you have another conspiracy theory for this.

No, mask mandates should not be in place forever. Covid will likely burn out. More people need to get vaccinated. I am pro Vaccines. The rest of your statement makes zero sense. I have posted multiple times that the administration and FDA needs to authorize safer vaccines instead of holding them back.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

NYT and WAPO being attacked for misinformation-. Lol- who do you trust- the media, CDC , White House or none of the above

Sensationalist media cuts across the entire political spectrum. Always has, always will. A story about COVID being a threat to everyone will get more clicks than one about COVID being pretty damn harmless if you're vaccinated.
sycasey
bearister
N.Y. Times Quote of the Day :
Dr. Laolu Fayanju, a family medicine doctor in Ohio: "We live in an era of unprecedented scientific breakthroughs and expertise. But we're also stymied by the forces of misinformation that undermine the true knowledge that is out there."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearForce2
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
AunBear89
If you're interested in a logical, scientific explanation you could find it. It won't be in your right wing Twitter bubble.
BearForce2

I see people with mostly cloth masks.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.