Congrats to Jon Kent and Jay Nakamura

438 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by BearForce2
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearNIt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:


Welcome to 2021 were younger generations are forcing older generations, to evolve in various ways even with comics.
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearNIt said:

okaydo said:


Welcome to 2021 were younger generations are forcing older generations, to evolve in various ways even with comics.


It's odd to see somebody around my age do this schtick. But then again, he's trying to win the Senate in right-wing Ohio.

Eastern Oregon Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do kids actually read comic books anymore? I thought the comic books had evolved to adult readers.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Do kids actually read comic books anymore? I thought the comic books had evolved to adult readers.


They watch comic book based cartoons. They go hand in hand.
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read comic books as a kid but don't remember any hanky panky.

My kids really like graphic novels but we are pretty careful about what they read (young elementary schoolers) so they wouldn't be reading superman for a few more years.

Also Superman comics are boring and I've always been about dat Marvel comics. My younger kid is into spider man but he's not reading the real spider man comics because it's not age appropriate yet. I think I'd be more bummed if my kids got into the DC comic universe than the fact that comics they enjoy feature diverse characters.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His own man was gay. Lois Lane was kryptonite to Clark Kent
BearGoggles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why do liberals have to ruin everything with politics and other social justice crusades? I could not care less about comic books, but this just looks desperate and stupid.

Probably good material for Chapelle's next special.
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearGoggles said:

Why do liberals have to ruin everything with politics and other social justice crusades? I could not care less about comic books, but this just looks desperate and stupid.

Probably good material for Chapelle's next special.

Why do conservatives have to p!ss and whine about everything? Bunch of crybaby snowflakes that fear any change from "the good ol' days" of the 1950s.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearGoggles said:

Why do liberals have to ruin everything with politics and other social justice crusades? I could not care less about comic books, but this just looks desperate and stupid.

Probably good material for Chapelle's next special.

I agree. I remember in the 1960s when liberals started making music political. Just ******* sing! I don't want politics in my music.
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

BearGoggles said:

Why do liberals have to ruin everything with politics and other social justice crusades? I could not care less about comic books, but this just looks desperate and stupid.

Probably good material for Chapelle's next special.

I agree. I remember in the 1960s when liberals started making music political. Just ******* sing! I don't want politics in my music.
He's just an out of touch curmudgeon. Comic books have been political since before he was born. Superman was quite literally a social justice warrior from the first issue.


Quote:

"Superman! Champion of the oppressed. The physical marvel who had sworn to devote his existence to helping those in need."

-Jerry Siegel, Action Comics issue #1
BearGoggles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

okaydo said:

BearGoggles said:

Why do liberals have to ruin everything with politics and other social justice crusades? I could not care less about comic books, but this just looks desperate and stupid.

Probably good material for Chapelle's next special.

I agree. I remember in the 1960s when liberals started making music political. Just ******* sing! I don't want politics in my music.
He's just an out of touch curmudgeon. Comic books have been political since before he was born. Superman was quite literally a social justice warrior from the first issue.


Quote:

"Superman! Champion of the oppressed. The physical marvel who had sworn to devote his existence to helping those in need."

-Jerry Siegel, Action Comics issue #1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman

From Wikipedia:

Initially, Siegel was allowed to write Superman more or less as he saw fit because nobody had anticipated the success and rapid expansion of the franchise. But soon Siegel and Shuster's work was put under careful oversight for fear of trouble with censors. Siegel was forced to tone down the violence and social crusading that characterized his early stories.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman#cite_note-93][92][/url] Editor Whitney Ellsworth, hired in 1940, dictated that Superman not kill. Sexuality was banned, and colorfully outlandish villains such as Ultra-Humanite and Toyman were thought to be less nightmarish for young readers.

Mort Weisinger was the editor on Superman comics from 1941 to 1970, his tenure briefly interrupted by military service. Siegel and his fellow writers had developed the character with little thought of building a coherent mythology, but as the number of Superman titles and the pool of writers grew, Weisinger demanded a more disciplined approach.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman#cite_note-96][95][/url] Weisinger assigned story ideas, and the logic of Superman's powers, his origin, the locales, and his relationships with his growing cast of supporting characters were carefully planned. Elements such as Bizarro, Supergirl, the Phantom Zone, the Fortress of Solitude, alternate varieties of kryptonite, robot doppelgangers, and Krypto were introduced during this era. The complicated universe built under Weisinger was beguiling to devoted readers but alienating to casuals. Weisinger favored lighthearted stories over serious drama, and avoided sensitive subjects such as the Vietnam War and the American civil rights movement because he feared his right-wing views would alienate his left-leaning writers and readers. Weisinger also introduced letters columns in 1958 to encourage feedback and build intimacy with readers.

________________

So, when edited by a conservative for a 30 year period coinciding with its rise in popularity, they went out of their way to keep politics out of the storyline to appeal to fans. Now that the editors are liberal, they are wanting to cram down a divisive SJW plot line that is completely at odds with Superman as a character. A major plot line has been his relationship with Lois Lane - but he was secretly bi/gay the whole time?

Again, for liberals, everything has to be in service of politics/SJW. Its rather sad, pathetic and desperate. It is not about being a curmudgeon or really caring about the comic book (I don't). It is about wanting to leave politics and social issues out of some aspects of the culture/entertainment so that not everything is divisive.

And for the record, I will always prefer The Ambiguously Gay Duo over Superman.

Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

okaydo said:

BearGoggles said:

Why do liberals have to ruin everything with politics and other social justice crusades? I could not care less about comic books, but this just looks desperate and stupid.

Probably good material for Chapelle's next special.

I agree. I remember in the 1960s when liberals started making music political. Just ******* sing! I don't want politics in my music.
He's just an out of touch curmudgeon. Comic books have been political since before he was born. Superman was quite literally a social justice warrior from the first issue.


Quote:

"Superman! Champion of the oppressed. The physical marvel who had sworn to devote his existence to helping those in need."

-Jerry Siegel, Action Comics issue #1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman

From Wikipedia:

Initially, Siegel was allowed to write Superman more or less as he saw fit because nobody had anticipated the success and rapid expansion of the franchise. But soon Siegel and Shuster's work was put under careful oversight for fear of trouble with censors. Siegel was forced to tone down the violence and social crusading that characterized his early stories.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman#cite_note-93][92][/url] Editor Whitney Ellsworth, hired in 1940, dictated that Superman not kill. Sexuality was banned, and colorfully outlandish villains such as Ultra-Humanite and Toyman were thought to be less nightmarish for young readers.

Mort Weisinger was the editor on Superman comics from 1941 to 1970, his tenure briefly interrupted by military service. Siegel and his fellow writers had developed the character with little thought of building a coherent mythology, but as the number of Superman titles and the pool of writers grew, Weisinger demanded a more disciplined approach.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman#cite_note-96][95][/url] Weisinger assigned story ideas, and the logic of Superman's powers, his origin, the locales, and his relationships with his growing cast of supporting characters were carefully planned. Elements such as Bizarro, Supergirl, the Phantom Zone, the Fortress of Solitude, alternate varieties of kryptonite, robot doppelgangers, and Krypto were introduced during this era. The complicated universe built under Weisinger was beguiling to devoted readers but alienating to casuals. Weisinger favored lighthearted stories over serious drama, and avoided sensitive subjects such as the Vietnam War and the American civil rights movement because he feared his right-wing views would alienate his left-leaning writers and readers. Weisinger also introduced letters columns in 1958 to encourage feedback and build intimacy with readers.

________________

So, when edited by a conservative for a 30 year period coinciding with its rise in popularity, they went out of their way to keep politics out of the storyline to appeal to fans. Now that the editors are liberal, they are wanting to cram down a divisive SJW plot line that is completely at odds with Superman as a character. A major plot line has been his relationship with Lois Lane - but he was secretly bi/gay the whole time?

Again, for liberals, everything has to be in service of politics/SJW. Its rather sad, pathetic and desperate. It is not about being a curmudgeon or really caring about the comic book (I don't). It is about wanting to leave politics and social issues out of some aspects of the culture/entertainment so that not everything is divisive.

And for the record, I will always prefer The Ambiguously Gay Duo over Superman.


Cool. This is just about your preferences. This is the key language you chose to ignore:
Quote:

But soon Siegel and Shuster's work was put under careful oversight for fear of trouble with censors. Siegel was forced to tone down the violence and social crusading that characterized his early stories.
Superman was quite literally an SJW from day one. You don't like that so you choose to focus on the part of the Superman story after fear of censorship from social conservatives in our government caused Superman to change it's approach in 1940. If I recall correctly you would be one of those conservatives who believe in the first amendment but miraculously you just seem to appreciate how fear of government reprisals (which would violate the first amendment) caused Superman to avoid icky topics in favor of watered down BS.

Like you, I'm not particularly fond of superman. I pay attention to the entertainment my children consume and would keep them away from excessively violent media until they are ready and the same would go for sexualized content. I should note that there is absolutely nothing political about sexuality other than the fact that conservatives like you think that they have a right to limit people's freedoms. If you don't like the direction Superman is going in, don't buy the comic.

Absolutely no one cares that some stick in the mud who is not a consumer of a particular form of entertainment is complaining about it. You sound like Tipper Gore whose efforts I'm sure you opposed in the late 90's. Or perhaps you've always agreed with her, I don't really know. I will tell you a personal anecdote in the spirit of transparency. My in-laws are run of the mill modern republicans. They pretend to hold certain values but they support Trump and a lot of the insanity that the GOP has become. Even worse, they think Greg Gutfeld is funny. Even worse, they think Jeff Dunham is hilarious. I don't think those people are funny. I don't consume their entertainment products because I would rather watch paint dry. I don't care if my in-laws spend their time watching terrible entertainment and I don't spend my time crying about how those terrible entertainers have injected their idiotic brand of politics into their routines.

You got baited by Okaydo and gave him exactly the reaction he was looking for. He wanted to make a bunch of angry Archie Bunkers soil themselves and you fell for it.

That's entertainment I can get behind. Thanks Okaydo.

oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Superman was a social justice warrior from day one...

(because )

Your first sentence is an unsupported opinion, and the rest of your paragraph runs off of it. You may be right. However, can you supply the reader some facts in support of your premise?
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

Superman was a social justice warrior from day one...

(because )

Your first sentence is an unsupported opinion, and the rest of your paragraph runs off of it. You may be right. However, can you supply the reader some facts in support of your premise?
Superman was an SJW from day one (because) the people who created him made him one. Do they get a vote? Look at the quote I pulled. Read an article. I get that you thrive on being an unflinching contrarian, but this is just documented record. There is a ton of very obvious evidence on my side, some of which I've posted. There is literally nothing that has been presented to the contrary.

Here's one random article but there are so many:
Quote:

More examples can be found throughout the Golden Age. One memorable sequence in 1940's Superman #6 has the Man of Steel grabbing a bunch of guns, crushing them, and proclaiming that he would like to do this to every weapon in the world. Superman also took his fury out on wife-beaters (Action Comics #1), unsafe labor practices (Action Comics #3), financial fraud (Action Comics #11), and other forms of injustice. In most of these cases, Superman was defending the defenseless, and giving voice to the voiceless, even if it meant operating outside of the law.

Superman was not only a product of his time, but also an extension of his creators. All of these stories were written by Jerry Siegel, and illustrated by Joe Schuster, the creators responsible for Superman. As two working-class boys growing up in Depression-era Cleveland, Siegel and Shuster witnessed many injustices.

Read my quote from a few hours ago:

Quote:

"Superman! Champion of the oppressed. The physical marvel who had sworn to devote his existence to helping those in need."

-Jerry Siegel, Action Comics issue #1
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Superman was a social justice warrior from day one...

(because )

Your first sentence is an unsupported opinion, and the rest of your paragraph runs off of it. You may be right. However, can you supply the reader some facts in support of your premise?
Superman was an SJW from day one (because) the people who created him made him one. Do they get a vote? Look at the quote I pulled. Read an article. I get that you thrive on being an unflinching contrarian, but this is just documented record. There is a ton of very obvious evidence on my side, some of which I've posted. There is literally nothing that has been presented to the contrary.

Here's one random article but there are so many:
Quote:

More examples can be found throughout the Golden Age. One memorable sequence in 1940's Superman #6 has the Man of Steel grabbing a bunch of guns, crushing them, and proclaiming that he would like to do this to every weapon in the world. Superman also took his fury out on wife-beaters (Action Comics #1), unsafe labor practices (Action Comics #3), financial fraud (Action Comics #11), and other forms of injustice. In most of these cases, Superman was defending the defenseless, and giving voice to the voiceless, even if it meant operating outside of the law.

Superman was not only a product of his time, but also an extension of his creators. All of these stories were written by Jerry Siegel, and illustrated by Joe Schuster, the creators responsible for Superman. As two working-class boys growing up in Depression-era Cleveland, Siegel and Shuster witnessed many injustices.

Read my quote from a few hours ago:

Quote:

"Superman! Champion of the oppressed. The physical marvel who had sworn to devote his existence to helping those in need."

-Jerry Siegel, Action Comics issue #1



Are all superheroes sjw's since they all fight crime? Was there controversy surrounding saving a wife from being beaten? When did Lois Lane come into the picture?

Anyway, fully onboard with Superman, as a crime fighter, defending homosexuals from hate crimes, etc...

Mixed feelings about a gay superman.

Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who else would wear a cape!
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anarchistbear said:

Who else would wear a cape!


Robin.
Anarchistbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Who else would wear a cape!


Robin.


Of course, they were a thing after the Batman break up.
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?

oski003 said:



Are all superheroes sjw's since they all fight crime? Was there controversy surrounding saving a wife from being beaten? When did Lois Lane come into the picture?

Anyway, fully onboard with Superman, as a crime fighter, defending homosexuals from hate crimes, etc...

Mixed feelings about a gay superman.




Unsurprising response. Given how prevalent domestic violence has been in US history, yes it's safe to say had social conservatives been aware of Action Comics #1, there would have been people screaming about their god given right to treat their wives however they see fit.

oski003 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Who else would wear a cape!


Robin.


I honestly can't tell if you already knew this or not.
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Superman is a.....journalist.
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?


Meanwhile, DC kept Robin straight as an arrow sans cape.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.