18 yr olds driving 18 wheelers?

848 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AunBear89
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are ok with this ?

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/local/government-program-to-recruit-teen-semi-drivers-cut-truck-driver-shortage-2/93-6596ff33-16c2-4be3-9026-0bd38eb50bf7
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
chazzed
As long as the young drivers are screened and tested properly, I'd be okay with it. What are your thoughts?
bearister
A wheel for each year in age.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
That is a lot of responsibility. I hope wages aren't dinged for their age?

Electronic trucks are coming can they be prepped to co pilot the next generation truck

Apparently there is lot of demand for drivers
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
chazzed
I agree that they should be paid the same rate as other new truck drivers.

I think that automated trucks should not be trusted any time soon, especially when it comes to city streets.
DiabloWags
This country is down 80,000 truck drivers.

Many quit during the initial ramp of Covid in 2020 and you dont get paid while waiting 3 - 4 hours to get loaded at the dock. Hence, more quitting.
Eastern Oregon Bear
bearister said:

A wheel for each year in age.
That'll be interesting if helltopay decides to pursue a second career.
dimitrig
chazzed said:

I agree that they should be paid the same rate as other new truck drivers.

I think that automated trucks should not be trusted any time soon, especially when it comes to city streets.

Automated vehicles are a lot safer than those driven by humans and it will only keep getting better

chazzed
On busy city streets with pedestrians, bicyclists, and people working? Not necessarily. In any case, the general public will certainly not go for self-driving 18-wheelers until all of the relevant statistics on safety are overwhelmingly on the side of automation.
BearForce2
kelly09
dimitrig
chazzed said:

On busy city streets with pedestrians, bicyclists, and people working? Not necessarily. In any case, the general public will certainly not go for self-driving 18-wheelers until all of the relevant statistics on safety are overwhelmingly on the side of automation.
Yes, and I will tell you why.

Computers are able to acquire and analyze additional types of data and in more directions than a human being can.

One example is radar, but there are others.

Self-driving cars can have cameras pointing 360 degrees. A human can't.

Self-driving cars have already been put through these trials. In fact, Google has been driving them around the SF Bay Area for years now.

Add to that that self-driving cars are not only more perceptive but also less subject to incapacitation or engage in reckless behavior. They won't fall asleep at the wheel, drag race each other, drive drunk, be distracted by children while driving, and so on.

It is expected that self-driving vehicles won't be able to avoid all accidents, but they should be able to avoid a significant number (I read 33% in one article) of them.

In particular, I think 18 wheelers traveling cross country are a great place to start. Interstates are pretty predictable and cost savings can be had by keeping the load moving 24/7 without any driver fatigue. Also, one can program the trucks to not engage in dangerous behavior I see some truckers engage in like trying to pass each other on steep hills when they should all just be in the right lane where they belong.

AunBear89
Another RWNJ non sequitur posing as a relevant point. So "on brand" for Kelly. One of these days you'll have a real idea of your very own!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.