Reverse discrimination

1,623 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by going4roses
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aka "afirmative action" has been an on-going polarizing feature of American life for about a half-century. It has been /is practiced at every institutional and academic level. White liberals who govern almost all our academicand cultural and corporate institutions have decreed that certain groups need to be elevated over others in order to balance out and redress centuries of discrimination real and alleged. If our elites had simply admitted and promoted individuals based on strict meritocracy without regard for any other consideration, everyone would have or should hszve applauded such a turn-of-events.

That didn't happen then and doesn't happen now. Individuals are instead assigned to groups and some groups automatically get favored status while other groups are downgraded.

The most obvious and egregious example of reverse discrimination at the Academic level has been the systematic downgrading of Asian applicants in

favor of "approved minorities " ( read African-americans and hispanics). Different ethnic groups, mostly Asians, have been suing Universities, mostly Ivy schools) for decades with limited success. The most egregious violators of civil rights have been the flag-bearers of the Ivy schools, namely Harvard and Yale. The Supreme Court is poised to hear yet another 'discrimination" case very soon. This will be the eighth such case. The other decisions have been muddled , and, as a result, a clear path has never been paved. Hopefdullyt, this case will be dispositive once and for all.

Let us hope John Roberts ( squishy John) means it when he said, " the way to stop. racial discrimination is to stop......racial discrimination. Stay tuned...
Eastern Oregon Bear
I've been beaten out for jobs several times due to veterans being given preferential treatment. You don't hear me crying about it. I just kept applying for jobs until I got hired.
calbearinamaze
helltopay1 said:

If our elites had simply admitted and promoted individuals based on strict meritocracy without regard for any other consideration, everyone would have or should hszve applauded such a turn-of-events.
You are literally hell-bent on blaming problems on "white liberals", "elites" etc,
You exhibit very little understanding of human behavior.

"without any other consideration"?????

When throughout history has there not been:
nepotism,
bigotry in one form or another
favoritism based on gender, age, height, wealth, religion, ethnicity, connections, artistic preferences, etc.

When the human element is completely eliminated (AI, robots, space-aliens, whatever) you
may have your Utopia.

Good luck with that.
bearister
helltopay1 wrote: " The most obvious and egregious example of reverse discrimination at the Academic level has been the systematic downgrading of Asian applicants in

favor of "approved minorities " ( read African-americans and hispanics)."

Nope. Wrong.

"According to court documents filed in support of the lawsuit, among white applicants who were accepted to Harvard, 21.5% had legacy status. Only 6.6% of accepted Asian applicants, and 4.8% of accepted African American applicants, were legacies."

How elite US schools give preference to wealthy and white 'legacy' applicants | US universities | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/23/elite-schools-ivy-league-legacy-admissions-harvard-wealthier-whiter

*The Good Ole Boy System a/k/a White Man Affirmative Action
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I've been beaten out for jobs several times due to veterans being given preferential treatment. You don't hear me crying about it. I just kept applying for jobs until I got hired.

Preferential treatment for veterans in the hiring process is an interesting issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.military.com/hiring-veterans/resources/vet-preference-hiring-program-may-move-to-private-sector.html/amp
bearister
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

The way I look at it, I owe a Vet the place in line ahead of me. I once gave $50,000 in donated legal time (working through Swords to Powshares) securing a Marine captain that served in Afghanistan lifetime benefits for PTSD. He said to me more than once that he couldn't figure out why I was helping him. I told him that I never served so I owed him.
Unit2Sucks
Why are white male Americans become such pathetic entitled whiners? If you can't succeed in this country as a white male you need to take personal responsibility and do better. Stop blaming other people for your failures. The world has changed and white people are facing an erosion of privilege but they need to get over it. What's funny is that conservatives like to pretend that they believe in personal responsibility but it's just a fairy tale that they tell themselves. In reality people like htp1 only believe in personal responsibility for other people.

cbbass1
helltopay1 said:

Let us hope John Roberts ( squishy John) means it when he said, " the way to stop. racial discrimination is to stop......racial discrimination. Stay tuned...
...Says the advocate for racial discrimination...
oski003
cbbass1 said:

helltopay1 said:

When did John Roberts advocate for racial discrimination?
going4roses
I believe I have few guesses as to why but …
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
cbbass1
Unit2Sucks said:

Why are white male Americans become such pathetic entitled whiners? If you can't succeed in this country as a white male you need to take personal responsibility and do better. Stop blaming other people for your failures. The world has changed and white people are facing an erosion of privilege but they need to get over it. What's funny is that conservatives like to pretend that they believe in personal responsibility but it's just a fairy tale that they tell themselves. In reality people like htp1 only believe in personal responsibility for other people.

Or, if you're going to blame immigrants & non-white people for your failures, at least direct your anger at the people who invited the immigrants & exploited them, and blame the people who initiated our horrific immigration policies, rather than blaming the victims.

If you're blaming the powerless, you'll never address the real issue.

If you're an American, why is another American demanding Equality a problem?

The last line of the Pledge of Allegiance goes like this: "...With Liberty and Justice for ALL."

I'm not sure if you understand the definition of "ALL," so I'll save you the trouble of looking it up:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/all

all - Every individual or anything of the given class, with no exceptions.
going4roses
How about serving two tours in Vietnam but being told 20 years later there was no record of serving. My Mother was told that a records facility had sustained major fire damage thus pops DD14 and file were destroyed . But he was denied yet again, thus my Moms started writing letters to Senator at the time Boxer then showed evidence(letters back en forth between them and pictures) Boxer somehow fixed it. I believe this at the same time she was grad student at mills and teaching for Oakland Public Schools.
helltopay1
Let's hope SCOTUS provides a clear path forward. As for most of the comments , I thought only Bears hibernated. Ask any Asian you meet on the street iff Asians have been systematically discriminated against academically --not on ly at the University level, but, closer to home, at Lowell High in SF. Maybe, just maybe, if parents of non-Asians valued education and discipline and hard work as much as Asian parents, their children would not have to constantly benefit from areas other than grades when applying.
Jews, Catholics, Irish, Italians and Blacks were denied fair treatment in the early days of our country. It's time, in the academic realm, to even the playing field.
cbbass1
oski003 said:

cbbass1 said:

helltopay1 said:

When did John Roberts advocate for racial discrimination?
His entire adult life. Literally.

He clerked for former SCOTUS Chief Justice William Rehnquist, who spent his entire adult life denying non-whites & Democrats the right to vote. Rehnquist participated in the GOP's Operation Eagle Eye as early as 1958 (which he denied -- perjuring himself -- in his Senate confirmation hearings).

More recently, as Chief Justice, Roberts wrote the majority opinion on Shelby County v. Holder in 2013. He asserted that 'preclearance' -- the requirement that States with a history of discrimination (i.e., Red States) had to have any changes in their voting laws approved by a federal court.

Here's an excellent summary of Chief Justice Roberts' history on Voting Rights:

Politico: John Roberts - Voting Rights Act

Vox: John Roberts' Lifelong Crusade Against Voting Rights, Explained

You'll notice that the Republican Party's Operation Eagle Eye, which was meant to challenge, harass, and intimidate non-white voters, was conducted under the assumption that... wait for it.... "...that it was necessary to protect the integrity of the American ballot and against voter fraud," said the RNC.

AGAIN, Repubs claim "Voter Fraud", but instead of prosecuting anyone stupid enough to commit a felony by submitting an illegal ballot, they do a widespread Vote suppression campaign against non-white voters. This was back in the 1950s - 1960s.

60 years later, same playbook.

bearister
going4roses said:

How about serving two tours in Vietnam but being told 20 years later there was no record of serving. My Mother was told that a records facility had sustained major fire damage thus pops DD14 and file were destroyed . But he was denied yet again, thus my Moms started writing letters to Senator at the time Boxer then showed evidence(letters back en forth between them and pictures) Boxer somehow fixed it. I believe this at the same time she was grad student at mills and teaching for Oakland Public Schools.

Based on my experience, that doesn't surprise me. I filed a very thick Formal Claim for Benefits for my client in person at the Veteran's Administration in the Oakland Federal Building (my office was across the street). I got my copy of the Claim endorsed filed stamped to prove that I filed it.

Every month or so I went over in person to check status. On 3 occasions over several months the VA claimed the file was missing and they couldn't track it down. I ended up filing the claim 3 times. The clerks and counselors at the VA got so sick of seeing me that they "un lost" the file and granted my client's claim for benefits within 14 months through their Lincoln, Nebraska office.

I am thoroughly convinced that if my client had not had counsel, and that if I had not been up their a@$$, my client would never had gotten benefits.

Can you imagine a Vet with PTSD trying to fight that bureaucracy on his own? No wonder they had signs in the VA office that said that if you acted up you would be hauled out by security.

Thanks for your father's service. I am sorry he had to go through that and I am glad it got straightened out.
Unit2Sucks
helltopay1 said:

Ask any Asian you meet on the street iff Asians have been systematically discriminated against academically --
You've told us again and again that there is no such thing as institutional racism or discrimination. So are you lying now or have you been lying every other time?
going4roses
Conservative Contradictions.
helltopay1
To refresh your memory.....I have said that this country has made tremendous strides toward confronting our past sins. Americas, at this point, is either the. least racist country on earth, or, very close to the least. Please notice the millions of illegals who risk life and limb to come to this country/. I suppose you have noticed???Some pockets of discrimination remain. This is the eighth time SCOTUS will hear this type of case. I know you are a Bear, but, stop hibernating...
helltopay1
Eastern. I'm glad you didn't cry. You must be a very manly man..
Unit2Sucks
helltopay1 said:

To refresh your memory.....I have said that this country has made tremendous strides toward confronting our past sins. Americas, at this point, is either the. least racist country on earth, or, very close to the least. Please notice the millions of illegals who risk life and limb to come to this country/. I suppose you have noticed???Some pockets of discrimination remain. This is the eighth time SCOTUS will hear this type of case. I know you are a Bear, but, stop hibernating...

A person with a fully functioning brain would recognize that millions of whites and Asians have immigrated to America, many facing arduous challenges to come here. By the same argument, that would mean your foolish notion of "reverse racism" can't exist.

We all understand why you are unable to recognize this.

Please continue to pathetically whine about all of the injustices that people with privilege face while ignoring challenges that others have. You continue to showcase white privilege and fragility and how pathetic it is.
going4roses
You are the wrong /last person that gets to decide what is progress. Your mindset is the cause of ALL THE PROBLEMS. Every single problem and after Jan 6 we see it's still way too many whom are walking around clueless
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.