Trump Voters Need a New Direction - Peggy Noonan

4,645 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Anarchistbear
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blungld said:

Oh, but any person using the term "deep state" non-ironically has just flagged themselves as a dupe. It's amazing that Trump and his administration ran the election and government for 4 years and he is the all powerful Oz and the only one who could save America and yet there was still a Deep State (where and who are they again exactly? Boogeymen?) that conducted the election and ran his government. It seems one could make the claim that if Trump was subject to the Deep State and their election, then he wasn't in charge and can't take credit for anything you listed and/or he is ineffectual and incompetent. Which is it?

Bingo.

Never mind that CEO's and Executives from Exxon Mobil, Goldman Sachs, and Boeing made up his cabinet.
People that Trump himself appointed.

So much for Draining the Swamp!
helltopay1
76Bear......Where have you been????One more voice of courage and sanity from a school which has clearly lost its bearings (pun intended) and its mind/soul.
DiabloWags
helltopay1 said:

76Bear......Where have you been????One more voice of courage and sanity from a school which has clearly lost its bearings (pun intended) and its mind/soul.

Yes, a guy who clearly doesnt know who Peggy Noonan is.
You just cant make this stuff up!

DiabloWags
76BearsFly said:

Ms. Noonan fails to grasp the real mood of every day Americans who are fed up with heavy-handed government telling them how to think and that they know better what is best for them. Trump is good at capitalizing on those feelings and his track record engenders a feeling of hope in them.

Yes, Trump appeals to a large segment of Americans who work primarily in the trades as blue collar workers who struggled to make it through high school and who never got around to taking a basic Econ. 1 class. Had they done so, they might actually learn just how much of a FRAUD Donald Trump was and is.

There's also that "white nationalist" crowd that Trump appeals to, because you know, "there were fine people on both sides" in Charlottesville.... including the young men dressed in white polo shirts and khakis carrying tiki torches and chanting NAZI slogans like Blood and Soil.

And of course, the hypocritical Religious Right who have spent the last 2 years chanting My Body My Choice!

They love the Orange Buffoon too.
Never mind Stormy Daniels!

That's one helluva trifecta.

BearForce2
OsoDorado said:

BearForce2 said:

Newsom vs. Trump
California vs. America
Woke vs. MAGA

The state of California brought us Pelosi, Schiff, Swalwell, Kamala, Waters, Lieu....all major liars.
The California Democratic politicians are "major liars". Are you suggesting that, in contrast, Donald Trump has absolute integrity? If not, please name 3 of his most egregious lies.

Edit -- P.S. -- that was a rhetorical question I know you won't answer. Do you have principles? What would you say if a Democratic President did all the things Trump did to try to steal the election? Do any of the revelations of the Jan. 6th committee matter to you at all, or not at all because your man was President at the time?

I ask again rhetorically, because I know you will not admit Trump is a liar, let alone a criminal.

Russia collusion was a lie that everyone on my California list promoted. What say you?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Big C

Those of us with semi-long memories remember Peggy Noonan as a speechwriter for Reagan and Bush 41. I read her book "What I Saw at the Revolution" and found her to be moderately compelling, despite the fact that we were on opposite sides of the political spectrum. If, at the time, you had told me that 25-30 years later, most of the Republican party would devolve into something too wacky for her, I would've said no way.
blungld
BearForce2 said:

Russia collusion was a lie that everyone on my California list promoted. What say you?
I say that you would fail miserably to accurately describe what exactly "the left" claimed about Trump/Russia relationship, the definition of collusion and how that word was used as shorthand for the Trump/Russia relation and not what was investigated by Mueller, what was actually proven by Mueller and the press, and most importantly what was NOT proven (that Trump is innocent of collusion).

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
DiabloWags
76BearsFly said:

Pretty good list there H2P. You left out all the drugs being walked across the border by cartels killing so many of our people. Last admin shut that down. The Abrahamic accords were achieved against all odds. Moving the US embassy to Jerusalem. Recognizing that oil independence was, and could be again, one of the strongest cards in our hand. Standing up to NATO partners who had been "gaming" us for years. Oh yeah, tax reform truly ignited our economy rather than the excessive spending by current admin for "social programs" masquerading as economic help for the US. It goes on and on.

Ms. Noonan fails to grasp the real mood of every day Americans who are fed up with heavy-handed government telling them how to think and that they know better what is best for them. Trump is good at capitalizing on those feelings and his track record engenders a feeling of hope in them.

DeSantis is clearly a strong contender and a rising force. One thing is for sure, the people are fed-up with being marginalized by the Washington elite ruling class and their bureaucracy or "deep state" henchmen. I predict a massive push back from the people who just want freedom. I long for the days of free-speech at Cal as well as Berkeley.

Noonan would benefit from a road-trip across America visiting breakfast cafes, church bazaars, bars, parades and 7:00 am AA mtgs. A whole different perspective on the beating heart of America would be revealed.

Are you really this unaware of who Peggy Noonan is?
My goodness!

BearForce2
blungld said:

BearForce2 said:

I say that you would fail miserably to accurately describe what exactly "the left" claimed about Trump/Russia relationship, the definition of collusion and how that word was used as shorthand for the Trump/Russia relation and not what was investigated by Mueller, what was actually proven by Mueller and the press, and most importantly what was NOT proven (that Trump is innocent of collusion).

I have a feeling you would score high on quizzes like this.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

76BearsFly said:

Yes, Trump appeals to a large segment of Americans who work primarily in the trades as blue collar workers who struggled to make it through high school and who never got around to taking a basic Econ. 1 class. Had they done so, they might actually learn just how much of a FRAUD Donald Trump was and is.

There's also that "white nationalist" crowd that Trump appeals to, because you know, "there were fine people on both sides" in Charlottesville.... including the young men dressed in white polo shirts and khakis carrying tiki torches and chanting NAZI slogans like Blood and Soil.

And of course, the hypocritical Religious Right who have spent the last 2 years chanting My Body My Choice!

They love the Orange Buffoon too.
Never mind Stormy Daniels!

That's one helluva trifecta.

You are spreading misinformation - you probably should flag your own post so Greg can censor it.

This has been fact checked as false. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/17/fact-check-trump-quote-very-fine-people-charlottesville/5943239002/

From the link:

Trump responded: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn't put themselves and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides."

After further questioning from the reporter, and responses from Trump about people who were at the Charlottesville rally to support keeping the Lee statue, the president said, "You're changing history. You're changing culture. And you had people and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists."

So not only did trump not call nazis/white supremacists "very fine people" - he specifically condemned them.

Full text is found here:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/15/full-text-trump-comments-white-supremacists-alt-left-transcript-241662

Looking forward to your correction/retraction of your misinformation (not really, because history shows you will never admit you're wrong, even when its 100% clear).
helltopay1
Dear Goggles....Please let some Libs borrow your goggles so they can see more clearly...
DiabloWags
BearGoggles said:

Looking forward to your correction/retraction of your misinformation (not really, because history shows you will never admit you're wrong, even when its 100% clear).

Apparently, your ignorance overshadows any comprehension that Trump's "revisionist" comments came days after the fact.

Tell me, how does it feel to continually defend someone that instigated death threats on a Fulton County Elections worker by the name of Wandrea Moss?

BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Apparently, your ignorance overshadows any comprehension that Trump's "revisionist" comments came days after the fact.

Tell me, how does it feel to continually defend someone that instigated death threats on a Fulton County Elections worler by the name of Wandrea Moss?

I literally gave you a transcript of his original comments - here is another from Vox (noted right wing conspiracy website):

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/15/16154028/trump-press-conference-transcript-charlottesville

You said there was hatred and violence on both sides?

Trump: I think there is blame on both sides. You look at both sides. I think there is blame object both on both sides. I have no doubt about it. You don't have doubt about it either. If you reported it accurately, you would say that the neo-Nazis started this thing. They showed up in Charlottesville. Excuse me. They didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis. You had some very bad people in that group. You also had some very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group -- excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down, of to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So will George Washington now lose his status? Are we going to take down -- excuse me. Are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him. Good. Are we going to take down his statue. He was a major slave owner. Are we going to take down his statue? It is fine. You are changing history and culture.

You had people and i'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists. They should be condemned totally. You had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists. The press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats. You had a lot of bad people in the other group too.

Those are his comments - as quoted by Vox. You are wrong- Trump never said Nazis/White Supremacists were "good people" - he said the exact opposite many times.

And my pointing out that you are wrong (again) and spreading misinformation (again) is not a defense of Trump - or for that matter what he said. It is a defense of factual truth.

I knew you couldn't bring yourself to admit a mistake. It speaks volumes.
BearForce2
The Fine People Hoax has a dedicated chapter in their religious text right before the chapter entitled, Russia, Russia, Russia.
Big C

Look guys, everybody knows that Trump said...

"Neo-Nazis are very fine people."
"Drinking bleach might help people with COVID."
"I believe Putin over the FBI any day."
"Hang Mike Pence!"
"Get over here, Don Jr, so I can slap the s*** out of you again."

That he said these things is indisputable. It doesn't even require a link because everybody knows it.
DiabloWags
Big C said:

"Hang Mike Pence!"

That he said these things is indisputable. It doesn't even require a link because everybody knows it.

Yup.
The "revisionist" history and spin posted here by Trumper's is absurd.
Were talking about a guy that ****ted all over a Gold Star Mom.

Seriously, I cant imagine what some of these people do for a living.

They're so full of themselves.... I couldnt care less about their 1200 word "essays" defending the indefensible.

BearForce2
Big C said:

"Hang Mike Pence!"

I wish we live in a world filed with unicorns and rainbows too but it's not going to happen.
BearForce2
DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

"Hang Mike Pence!"

Yup.

They're so full of themselves.... I couldnt care less about their 1200 word "essays" defending the indefensible.

Revisionist history? You mean fake news. Left wing hoax.
Big C
DiabloWags said:

Big C said:

"Hang Mike Pence!"

Yup.

Ha, thanks, I had briefly forgotten about when he called American soldiers who died for their country "suckers" and "losers"!

I will say one thing for Trump: He had an amazing ability to "one up" himself every ten days or so. I would be like, wow, he'll never be able to say something that will top that... and then he would. Again and again.

Imagine if somebody with that talent were working for the nation's best interests, instead of for his own. Of course, his talent for actually governing was nil (and thank goodness for that), but still...
DiabloWags
Remember how he ****ted all over John McCain?

A guy that "obtained" 4 DRAFT DEFERMENTS pissed all over an American POW.

Just think about that for a moment.

Big C
DiabloWags said:

Remember how he ****ted all over John McCain?

A guy that "obtained" 4 DRAFT DEFERMENTS pissed all over an American POW.

I actually thought that was a seminal moment in Trump's emergence. "I like the guys who didn't get caught." (Watch somebody here deny he said it.) YOU CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT JOHN McCAIN! But said it he did and it was funny, in a terrible way. Of course, he never apologized or backtracked and, at that moment... the gloves were off: If he could say that, then any insult, any lie, any behavior was now okay. And the "non-college-educated" crowd was like, yay, I never understood why we had to have all those stupid manners. This guy is great! He's everything I wanted to be when I was ten, but couldn't be because my mom would slap me. I'm gonna vote for him and send a big "F-U" to all the people who ever tried to make me behave!
DiabloWags
Im sure that one of Trump's supporters here will write a 1200 word "essay" claiming that Im WRONG again and that Trump never ****ted on McCain.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/09/08/president-donald-trump-john-mccain-loser-fact-check/5741070002/
DiabloWags
Maybe BearGoggles can tell us what Trump really said in Iowa?

Amid audience laughter, the moderator, Republican pollster Frank Luntz, then interjected, "But he's a war hero!"

Trump responded, "He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."

Later that day, Trump retweeted, with seeming approval, a web post headlined "Donald Trump: John McCain Is 'A Loser,'" that recapped his exchange at the summit.
DiabloWags
DiabloWags said:

BearGoggles said:

Tell me, how does it feel to continually defend someone that instigated death threats on a Fulton County Elections worker by the name of Wandrea Moss?

BearGoggles
DiabloWags said:

Amid audience laughter, the moderator, Republican pollster Frank Luntz, then interjected, "But he's a war hero!"

Trump responded, "He's not a war hero. He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."

Later that day, Trump retweeted, with seeming approval, a web post headlined "Donald Trump: John McCain Is 'A Loser,'" that recapped his exchange at the summit.

HEY LOOK - SQUIRREL. I point out that you have provided misinformation regarding Trump's Charlottesville comments and you respond by . . . . bringing up something totally unrelated.

I'm not defending Trump, who said many awful, false, and inane things, including the abhorrent comments about McCain. I am defending the truth, which you and Big C don't care about. We know that because when you mischaracterize the truth (aka lie), you provide no links. Its just "beyond dispute" - yet somehow you can't provide a link from a reliable source.

Unlike you and Big C, I back my comments up with links - when possible to to actual transcripts - which is the board's policy. If I were you (thank god I'm not), I would be a tattletale and report your posts (which I would never do) and use you as an example for why the OT board should be terminated. You actually post on this board more than just about anyone, yet advocate for its termination because you can't bear to be challenged. That is quite amazing.

And unlike you, when I am wrong and someone points that out as has happened on occasion, I will post a correction admitting as such. It is the honorable thing to do - a sign of intellectual integrity and honesty. Have you ever done that? Hmn . . .

I have posted several links with direct quotes - one from Vox - showing you are wrong. But here you are refusing to admit it and instead changing the subject (and trying to get me to defend Trump, which I will not do). Again, it speaks volumes about you and the merits of your arguments.

concordtom
I don't know what all you're saying, but if you're arguing anywhere remotely in favor of Trump and/or his insane tribe, be advised you're dancing in the devil's backyard.
BearGoggles
concordtom said:

I don't know what all you're saying, but if you're arguing anywhere remotely in favor of Trump and/or his insane tribe, be advised you're dancing in the devil's backyard.
Its pretty clear what I'm saying - if you read it - and from that its very clear I am not in favor of Trump.
Big C
BearGoggles said:

DiabloWags said:

HEY LOOK - SQUIRREL. I point out that you have provided misinformation regarding Trump's Charlottesville comments and you respond by . . . . bringing up something totally unrelated.

I'm not defending Trump, who said many awful, false, and inane things, including the abhorrent comments about McCain. I am defending the truth, which you and Big C don't care about. We know that because when you mischaracterize the truth (aka lie), you provide no links. Its just "beyond dispute" - yet somehow you can't provide a link from a reliable source.

Unlike you and Big C, I back my comments up with links - when possible to to actual transcripts - which is the board's policy. If I were you (thank god I'm not), I would be a tattletale and report your posts (which I would never do) and use you as an example for why the OT board should be terminated. You actually post on this board more than just about anyone, yet advocate for its termination because you can't bear to be challenged. That is quite amazing.

And unlike you, when I am wrong and someone points that out as has happened on occasion, I will post a correction admitting as such. It is the honorable thing to do - a sign of intellectual integrity and honesty. Have you ever done that? Hmn . . .

I have posted several links with direct quotes - one from Vox - showing you are wrong. But here you are refusing to admit it and instead changing the subject (and trying to get me to defend Trump, which I will not do). Again, it speaks volumes about you and the merits of your arguments.

Hey, what did I do?!?

The reason I don't need to link my "actual quotes" is that it is just satire, obviously (or, it should be obvious).
DiabloWags
Big C said:

Hey, what did I do?!?

The reason I don't need to link my "actual quotes" is that it is just satire, obviously (or, it should be obvious).

Looks like you triggered him
I stopped reading his "essays" weeks ago.

concordtom
BearGoggles said:

Its pretty clear what I'm saying - if you read it - and from that its very clear I am not in favor of Trump.

Oh goody, we can be friends !!!
BearGoggles
concordtom said:

BearGoggles said:

Oh goody, we can be friends !!!
We can be friends because I'm more than willing to be friends with people who have completely divergent political views. That's because I don't believe everyone who disagrees with me is stupid, immoral, or evil. Sadly, that is less common in this world.

dajo9
Peggy Noonan is completely lost
American Vermin
tequila4kapp
My view is politicians are often products of being the right person at the right time.

In 2016 it was projected to be Bush vs Clinton. Yet MORE from those two freaking families. There was a definite element of drain the swamp. There were the economic / class issues. The border. He played into deep seeded beliefs about the left wing media; he was willing to explicitly tell them to **** off. For as ridiculous a candidate Trump was all those things worked perfectly for him. It isn't 2016 any longer, that exact confluence of issues, conditions and feelings doesn't exist.
DiabloWags
And it was all Fake News.
His cabinet was the poster child for "The Swamp"

But his white "nationalism" got the uneducated, low IQ crowd off the coach and to the ballot box. For once in their irrelevant lives, the people that barely made it through high school were validated by the Great White Hope after having to keep their mouths shut during 8 years of a black man being President.

Steve Bannon was a genius tapping into this.
Hence, Trump campaigning aggressively in the Rust Belt states, while Hillary ignored them.
Anarchistbear
In 2008 Obama won the Presidency, House and Senste.

In 2016 Trump won and Republicans now controlled the House, Senate and Presidency

In 2020 , Biden won and Democrats now controlled the House, Senste and Presidency

In 2024 the Republicans will control the House, Senate and Presidency.

Why? Because nothing ever happens about what average Americans care about- wages, health care , family leave, education , child care so they keep voting for the opposition. Otoh, what the parties and the pundit class care about- Jan 6, Critical Race theory, gender rights, race- is of trivial interest to anyone who is trying to make ends meet
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.