Biden's speech will deliver a hard truth: American democracy is under grave threat

3,392 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Eastern Oregon Bear
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"We must continue to appeal to truth, facts, logic, and common sense. We must be unwavering in our commitment to the constitution and the rule of law.

We must be clear and courageous in exposing the authoritarian fascist direction the Republican party has now chosen, and the dangers this poses to America and the world."

Biden's speech will deliver a hard truth: American democracy is under grave threat

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/01/biden-speech-philadelphia-independence-hall-democracy-robert-reich?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
MinotStateBeav
He looked like Emperor Palpatine. He's an absolute nutjob at this point. Standing at a national monument, surrounded by blood red lighting and military in the background...he's a f'ing movie villan. He speech was dark, like dems got a serious problem right now..Biden is coming off looking evil.

bearister
Good. It's about time the good guys start acting like ballers. Mass trials of Deplorables in the Oakland Coliseum within 6 months.
AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
MinotStateBeav
Well on twitter #pedohitler is trending...if your a fan of potatus I wouldn't read what people are writing lol.
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

He looked like Emperor Palpatine. He's an absolute nutjob at this point. Standing at a national monument, surrounded by blood red lighting and military in the background...he's a f'ing movie villan. He speech was dark, like dems got a serious problem right now..Biden is coming off looking evil.

Thats exactly how I felt watching Trump's 2016 convention speech.
American Vermin
MinotStateBeav
DiabloWags
MinotStateBeav said:

Well on twitter #pedohitler is trending...if your a fan of potatus I wouldn't read what people are writing lol.

No one with an IQ over 90 cares.
They really dont.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
bearister
I wonder what that ex NYPD January 6 insurrectionist that just got 10 years thought of Biden's speech tonight?

tRump claims the classified documents are like overdue library books and the ex copper jailbird claims he wasn't assaulting this officer but rather coming to his aid.

*I wonder if these Alt Right guys and their cult leader ever considered a career in rocket science?
oski003
DiabloWags said:

MinotStateBeav said:

No one over 90 cares. They really dont. Senile Geriatrics stick together.

Fifya
DiabloWags
bearister said:

I wonder what that ex NYPD January 6 insurrectionist that just got 10 years thought of Biden's speech tonight?

I think he's too busy thinking about getting the "bottom" bunk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/us/jan-6-nypd-officer-sentenced.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur
concordtom
Excuse me, but you're an absolute (redacted).

The RED is to try and appeal to people like you.
Unfortunately, as he said, some of you are too far gone.
concordtom
bearister said:

tRump claims the classified documents are like overdue library books and the ex copper jailbird claims he wasn't assaulting this officer but rather coming to his aid.

*I wonder if these Alt Right guys and their cult leader ever considered a career in rocket science?

Perhaps you've heard of Lawn Chair Larry, DarwinAwards Honorable Mention.

https://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html

Oh man, this is hilarious. I never heard this interview before: "I had complete control of the craft!"
Hahahaha. I bet he was a trump supporter - oh yeah!!!

He shot the outer balloons first. "I knew what I was doing !!"
MinotStateBeav
concordtom said:

"If you're not with the majority, you're an extremist."
Biden Spokeswoman

82gradDLSdad
MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

Biden Spokeswoman

Neither party has any skill in bringing us together. Maybe I'm only noticing this as I get older and that it's always been this way.
89Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

Biden Spokeswoman

Neither party has any skill in bringing us together. Maybe I'm only noticing this as I get older and that it's always been this way.
Politicians are some of the worst people in the country.
bearister
…and how do you bring people together who have been whipped into such a frenzy with lies by a charlatan that it results in ex cops trying to maim or kill other cops and men planning to abduct a governor and execute her?*

*…..and no, I am not making allegations, I am stating facts, involving men convicted by juries that decided their fate based on evidence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

Biden Spokeswoman

The tactic seems to me to try and turn MAGA into the radical fringe, to get moderate Republicans to break them off.

Trump is weakened with all the charges now and the nation needs the Rs to lose in November so that the Republican Party drives the MAGA trump faction out.

That's very clear.
Then we can continue with traditional debates on tax policy and such.

Will Rs accept the notion, or get all backed up and identify with the radical Trumpists?
concordtom
DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

Also of interest:

Ideological Gap Widens Between More, Less Educated Adults | Pew Research Center
DiabloWags
The polarization in today's Congress has roots that go back decades.

The polarization in today's Congress has roots that go back decades | Pew Research Center

smh
> The polarization in today's Congress has roots that go back decades.

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
82gradDLSdad
concordtom said:

82gradDLSdad said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

Biden Spokeswoman

The tactic seems to me to try and turn MAGA into the radical fringe, to get moderate Republicans to break them off.

Trump is weakened with all the charges now and the nation needs the Rs to lose in November so that the Republican Party drives the MAGA trump faction out.

That's very clear.

Will Rs accept the notion, or get all backed up and identify with the radical Trumpists?

This is not a bad explanation. I took don't understand the folks who are still willing to look past Trump's, uh, transgressions. You can move away from Trump and still believe in conservative principles.
DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

This is not a bad explanation. I took don't understand the folks who are still willing to look past Trump's, uh, transgressions. You can move away from Trump and still believe in conservative principles.

It's a CULT of highly uneducated people.

90% of the posts that I've seen on social media from Trumper's or supporters of his who call into a local radio talk show are by people who are not educated. They are terribly misinformed because they just dont have the capacity to critically think. This is why conspiracy theories are so prevalent with them.

Case in point: Liz Cheney lost her bid to get re-elected even though she voted along with Trump 94% of the time.

The only 2 counties that she won were Albany and Teton; both of which had 55% of voters with a BS degree or better. In all of the other counties that she lost and by margins as big as 80% to 20%, those counties only had 19.3% of their voters with a BS degree or higher.

bearister
It is the same types that got fleeced by tRump University. Just plug the term
"average tRump voter" into this Carlin quote.

concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

82gradDLSdad said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

Biden Spokeswoman

That's very clear.

Thank you.

The weird thing about it is that Trump was more aligned with the Democrats earlier in life. I know he was pro-choice, among many other things.

But his opening was on the right, so he switched and played his cards.

Far weirder still is that the Republican Party took him in and put him up on their stage.

The weirdest bit of all, however, is that truly conservative people began to accept him, get behind him, and voted for him.

I'm talking about the fiscal conservatives - here was a man who was so sloppy financially that he bankrupted joint ventures and small cities.

I'm talking about religious conservatives - here was a man who couldn't provide a single quote from the Bible when asked and who never has been known to have experienced any period of time in life associated personally with church or religion.

And I'm talking about conservatives of character - here was a man so wild with his words and deeds it made everyone's head spin! Tabloid idiot? Grab them by the P? I like soldiers who don't get captured? I mean, is there anybody this person wouldn't insult, all while pushing past the crowd to hold up his own handful of sh*t and declare it didn't stink?

My goodness! What has become of the Republican Party?!?!

Surely, it is a phenomenon tgat should be studied by psychologists the same as Hitler's rise in Germany has been.
Unfortunately, he didn't learn too much with that prior go around.
But thankfully, this radical takeover was halted (at least temporarily and hopefully permanently) in November 2020, and again on January 6 2021.

How it is finally put down has yet to play out. Will it be through Georgia election tampering? NY financial docs fraud? Stolen and hidden Top Secret Documents? November 2022 elections? Other?

I just pray some new wacko of untruths like Kevin McCarthy doesn't take up the baton!

George Bush Sr seems like such the idyllic Republican!
"A thousand points of light."
"A kinder and gentler America."

It's sad…. Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio? Our nation needs you more than you can know.
DiabloWags
bearister said:

It is the same types that got fleeced by tRump University. Just plug the term
"average tRump voter" into this Carlin quote.

89Bear
bearister said:

…and how do you bring people together who have been whipped into such a frenzy with lies by a charlatan that it results in ex cops trying to maim or kill other cops and men planning to abduct a governor and execute her?*

*…..and no, I am not making allegations, I am stating facts, involving men convicted by juries that decided their fate based on evidence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Completely understand what you're saying. There are a bunch of MAGA politicians that continue to bow to trump and keep this frenzy going so that it is impossible to bring anyone together even slightly. The movement will have to die out first.
In addition, I am not naive to believe that democratic leaders are perfect. They have their own issues as well, though far less offensive and dangerous than the MAGAS, in my opinion.
concordtom
Article discusses how ussr folded suddenly when most thought it impossible, and points out how same could happen here.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/mikhail-gorbachev-soviet-union-cautionary-tale-united-states-democracy-rcna45800
AunBear89
As long as a Trump endorsement turns on the fund raising spigots, the cult of personality will go on.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

Also this

Big C
concordtom said:

82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

82gradDLSdad said:

MinotStateBeav said:

concordtom said:

Biden Spokeswoman

That's very clear.

Thank you.

The weird thing about it is that Trump was more aligned with the Democrats earlier in life. I know he was pro-choice, among many other things.

But his opening was on the right, so he switched and played his cards.

Far weirder still is that the Republican Party took him in and put him up on their stage.

The weirdest bit of all, however, is that truly conservative people began to accept him, get behind him, and voted for him.

I'm talking about the fiscal conservatives - here was a man who was so sloppy financially that he bankrupted joint ventures and small cities.

I'm talking about religious conservatives - here was a man who couldn't provide a single quote from the Bible when asked and who never has been known to have experienced any period of time in life associated personally with church or religion.

And I'm talking about conservatives of character - here was a man so wild with his words and deeds it made everyone's head spin! Tabloid idiot? Grab them by the P? I like soldiers who don't get captured? I mean, is there anybody this person wouldn't insult, all while pushing past the crowd to hold up his own handful of sh*t and declare it didn't stink?

My goodness! What has become of the Republican Party?!?!

Surely, it is a phenomenon tgat should be studied by psychologists the same as Hitler's rise in Germany has been.
Unfortunately, he didn't learn too much with that prior go around.
But thankfully, this radical takeover was halted (at least temporarily and hopefully permanently) in November 2020, and again on January 6 2021.

How it is finally put down has yet to play out. Will it be through Georgia election tampering? NY financial docs fraud? Stolen and hidden Top Secret Documents? November 2022 elections? Other?

I just pray some new wacko of untruths like Kevin McCarthy doesn't take up the baton!

George Bush Sr seems like such the idyllic Republican!
"A thousand points of light."
"A kinder and gentler America."

It's sad…. Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio? Our nation needs you more than you can know.

When you are becoming more and more of a minority party and you look at the demographics vis-a-vis the issues and it projects to get even worse, you get desperate. You consolidate your base and you cut corners on your principles.
sycasey
concordtom
CNN White House correspondent John Harwood spent his last hours at the network declaring there is truth to the "threat to democracy" President Joe Biden outlined in his primetime speech on Thursday.
Harwood, who has been the White House correspondent with the network since February 2021, tweeted that Friday would be his last day.
He reportedly knew last month that Friday would be his last day despite two years remaining in his contract at the network, a source close to the departure told Press Watch's Dan Froomkin.
The announcement came less than two hours after Harwood said the core point of Biden's speech targeting "MAGA Republicans" is "true."

"Now, that's something that's not easy for us as journalists to say. We're brought up to believe there's two different political parties with different points of view and we don't take sides in honest disagreements between them," Harwood said.

"But that's not what we're talking about. These are not honest disagreements," he said.

You can watch Harwood's remarks, including his take that the GOP is "led by a dishonest demagogue," below.

82gradDLSdad
concordtom said:

CNN White House correspondent John Harwood spent his last hours at the network declaring there is truth to the "threat to democracy" President Joe Biden outlined in his primetime speech on Thursday.
Harwood, who has been the White House correspondent with the network since February 2021, tweeted that Friday would be his last day.
He reportedly knew last month that Friday would be his last day despite two years remaining in his contract at the network, a source close to the departure told Press Watch's Dan Froomkin.
The announcement came less than two hours after Harwood said the core point of Biden's speech targeting "MAGA Republicans" is "true."

"Now, that's something that's not easy for us as journalists to say. We're brought up to believe there's two different political parties with different points of view and we don't take sides in honest disagreements between them," Harwood said.

"But that's not what we're talking about. These are not honest disagreements," he said.

You can watch Harwood's remarks, including his take that the GOP is "led by a dishonest demagogue," below.

I guess John Harwood was too bored at CNBC. I have long wondered where he went.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.