Post Your Pineapple Express Storm Updates Here

6,314 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by going4roses
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

Ironically, a heavy rainy season might actually amplify fire risks in CA, as there will be more dried-up growth available to burn in September-October fire season.

The vegetation in CA, much like in other dry areas like the Mediterrannean, is actually designed to burn down with regular frequency during fire season (July-August in Europe, Sept-Oct in CA). Those regular cycles have been interrupted in CA through human intervention, which has resulted in the accumulation of very high volume of fuel for fires. That is the main reason fires have become more intense recently. The key here is better forest management.

Santa Rosa's Coffey Park totally disagrees with you. Because they don't have a forest to manage. Repeating a Trump line is no bueno, senior.

I think fire marshals would also suggest that 1 day of rain per month between Nay and September would help.
I'd say you're both right. Above normal rain in the spring leads to more grass and annual plant growth along with more undergrowth in forests. When the dry summer hits, the plants die off and provide more fuel to fire starts, giving them greater chances of becoming big fires. On the other hand, rain during the summer provides moisture to the fuels and it takes several days to a week or two to dry them back out to critical levels.

It hardly ever rains in the Summer, and when it does rain, it`s too sporadic and light, so you can`t really count on this to have an appreciable impact on fire season.

Peak fire season coincides with the highest temperatures in late Summer, which comes after a long period of bone dry weather.
dimitrig
concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

concordtom said:

Pray for more and regular rain each month!
…California, where it practically never rains between May and September. That is the nature of the climate in CA, no amount of prayers or climate change is going to change that.

Totally agree.

Disagree.

Climate change is making summers wetter and more humid in California as our climate becomes more tropical with rising ocean temperatures.

It has rained more often in summer over the last decade than I ever remember it did as a kid and the humidity has been unbearable some years.

Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

Ironically, a heavy rainy season might actually amplify fire risks in CA, as there will be more dried-up growth available to burn in September-October fire season.

The vegetation in CA, much like in other dry areas like the Mediterrannean, is actually designed to burn down with regular frequency during fire season (July-August in Europe, Sept-Oct in CA). Those regular cycles have been interrupted in CA through human intervention, which has resulted in the accumulation of very high volume of fuel for fires. That is the main reason fires have become more intense recently. The key here is better forest management.

Santa Rosa's Coffey Park totally disagrees with you. Because they don't have a forest to manage. Repeating a Trump line is no bueno, senior.

I think fire marshals would also suggest that 1 day of rain per month between Nay and September would help.
I'd say you're both right. Above normal rain in the spring leads to more grass and annual plant growth along with more undergrowth in forests. When the dry summer hits, the plants die off and provide more fuel to fire starts, giving them greater chances of becoming big fires. On the other hand, rain during the summer provides moisture to the fuels and it takes several days to a week or two to dry them back out to critical levels.

It hardly ever rains in the Summer, and when it does rain, it`s too sporadic and light, so you can`t really count on this to have an appreciable impact on fire season.

Peak fire season coincides with the highest temperatures in late Summer, which comes after a long period of bone dry weather.
I was thinking more of the Sierras and the Coastal Ranges which do get occasional thunderstorms with rain reaching the ground in the summer. I agree, there's not much hope of rain for the fire season in San Francisco though the sea breeze humidity off of the Pacific helps quite a bit.
concordtom
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

concordtom said:

Pray for more and regular rain each month!
…California, where it practically never rains between May and September. That is the nature of the climate in CA, no amount of prayers or climate change is going to change that.

Totally agree.

Disagree.

Climate change is making summers wetter and more humid in California as our climate becomes more tropical with rising ocean temperatures.

It has rained more often in summer over the last decade than I ever remember it did as a kid and the humidity has been unbearable some years.

What??
Where the hell do you live?
concordtom
I've been awakened by another torrent.
And I've decided that this is the type of winter we need EVERY year!
If this is the new normal, California (and the West) is in great shape!!!
Eastern Oregon Bear
concordtom said:

I've been awakened by another torrent.
And I've decided that this is the type of winter we need EVERY year!
If this is the new normal, California (and the West) is in great shape!!!
The west is in great shape except for where Minot lives. It's been uncanny how the rain and snow have gone around the Bend area.
concordtom
the opposite, no?

Big C

Supposedly another "atmospheric river" storm to arrive in NorCal in a few days...

That's enough, dammit! I went to a lot of trouble to be born in the East Bay: Don't take my perfect weather away from me!
concordtom
Lol!

I hear Redwood City is more perfect.
Not quite as hot, not quite as cold.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11889712/can-redwood-city-really-boast-climate-best-by-government-test-yes-and-no

…Gee, after reading that, I think I should move to the Canary Islands!!
DiabloWags
4" of RAIN coming in the next 7 days.

The first atmospheric river hits Thurs night into Friday morning. Big wind gusts too!
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
smh

> We have had 10.6" (27 cm) of #snow over the last 24 hours at the lab. That brings our total to 603" (15.32 m) since Oct 1st. This is now the 5th snowiest year since the CSSL was built in 1946. More snowfall in the forecast and it's likely it will be moving up!

from same office..
> Friendly reminder that this does not disprove climate change. Extremes are getting more extreme swinging from wet to dry and back. Increases in temperature mean the atmosphere can hold more water vapor (snow), which will give us the occasional big winter and the temp trend is <up>
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
dimitrig

It's going to be a beautiful year to see the waterfalls in Yosemite and elsewhere in the Sierras.
DiabloWags
dimitrig said:

It's going to be a beautiful year to see the waterfalls in Yosemite and elsewhere in the Sierras.

There's going to be MAJOR FLOODING.

People are gonna wind up dying. The Mammoth Lakes area is an accident waiting to happen.
The snow melt from this upcoming storm (warmer from the south) is gonna create MAJOR problems.

Big C

Well, I hope the latest atmospheric river just arrived a bit early...

It's mid-evening here in the East Bay and it's been raining pretty hard for a few hours straight. If this is just a prelude to tomorrow, there is going to be some major flooding. BTW, the next news story that tells us that the drought is not completely over (because X, Y, Z whatever), I'm gonna stick their head in my rain barrel (which is a wheel barrow sitting in my back yard).

Mark Fox packed up his belongings and is floating out of town.
bearister
Another atmospheric river hits San Francisco Bay Area - Axios San Francisco

https://www.axios.com/local/san-francisco/2023/03/10/atmospheric-rain-san-francisco-flood-watch
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
I'm officially tired of atmospheric rivers for the next month.

One atmospheric river per month is fine.

Q: How many have we had this season? It feels like 12 in the past 3 months.

A: From late Dec. 2022 into Jan. 23, 2023, a series of nine "atmospheric rivers" dumped a record amount of rain and mountain snow across the western U.S. and Canada, hitting California particularly hard.

How many since then?
DiabloWags
Amazing before and after photos of the #2 largest Reservoir in California filling back up!

From 29% of capacity to 75%

Drone photos show dramatic rise in California reservoirs after record-setting rain, snow (yahoo.com)

dimitrig

Got another 7 inches here from this last storm.

My neighbor says we are over 50 inches since October 1st.

DiabloWags
My grandfather grew up about 10 miles northeast of Oroville in a town called Cherokee where Table Mountain is. Population (2010) of 69. We visited the building of the Oroville Dam on many summer vacations and family picnics.

Table Mountain is made of volcanic rock.
When it rained a lot, they would get the Phantom Falls

DiabloWags

Cal88
DiabloWags

The Top 5 Largest Reservoirs (update)

Shasta at 81% capacity

Oroville at 82% of capacity

Trinity at 37% of capacity (waiting for the snow melt)

New Melones at 57% of capacity

San Luis at 97% of capacity (this is absolutely massive!)

Major Water Supply Reservoirs (ca.gov)
smh
DiabloWags said:

Shasta at 81% capacity
thanks DW. but i'd guess it's too soon to predict lower-colorado straws will luck out this season as well
bearister

Photos: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

"The top shot shows a 100% full Lake Oroville, on the Feather River in Northern California yesterday.

Below it is the same vantage point in July 2021.

Why it matters: A "historic rainy season recharged reservoirs across the state following years of drought," the L.A. Times reports."
-Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
Vegas has yet to break 100 this year
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
concordtom
Don't hold your breath!
Instead, give great thanks!

concordtom
DiabloWags said:

Shasta at 81% capacity

Major Water Supply Reservoirs (ca.gov)

Trinity at 57% as of 6/15/23, with 75% the historical average.
going4roses
True !!! Anything over 70 is hot to me
going4roses
What about the aquifers?
BearHunter
going4roses said:

"If loving Nancy is wrong, I don't want to be right." - bearister
concordtom
going4roses said:

What about the aquifers?

I'm waiting to read how lake Tulare has helped refill the aquifer.

Yes?
No?
concordtom
going4roses said:

Yeah.
80 as a max is just fine.
70 is good for most days, so long as there is sunshine on ya.
going4roses
Lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.