Being woke and climate change, comedian response at Oxford.

1,738 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by bear2034
MinotStateBeav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9
Classic strawman. He briefly mentions the solution to the climate issue, which is the Woke solution so to me - the guy is actually Woke but has made a personal popularity choice to say he is not.
American Vermin
okaydo
Being woke and climate change, comedian response at Oxford

oski003
Iguanas

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/15/weather/falling-iguanas-cold-weather/index.html
GoOskie
Wait. That guy's a comedian? Makes sense to be on the anti woke, culture war train. He has to feed his family!
wifeisafurd
Doesn't woke have to deal with awareness of racial prejudice and discrimination? Or has the wad evolved to just mea anything college kids are concerned about?
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

Doesn't woke have to deal with awareness of racial prejudice and discrimination? Or has the wad evolved to just mea anything college kids are concerned about?

Woke means bad art too. This is just how conservatives operate.
American Vermin
dajo9
Good for making a buck, too

American Vermin
wifeisafurd
dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

You got a star from me on the art being really bad. But it now seems like Woke, which was once used by blacks to describe blacks who become aware of the discrimination they faced, is now used by everyone who has a grievance against something by declaring what they don't like as woke.
dimitrig
wifeisafurd said:

dajo9 said:

wifeisafurd said:

You got a star from me on the art being really bad. But it now seems like Woke, which was once used by blacks to describe blacks who become aware of the discrimination they faced, is now used by everyone who has a grievance against something by declaring what they don't like as woke.

Woke is the 2020 term for politically correct. People have been complaining about it for some time now.

Luckily, over time more and more of those people are dying and being replaced with people who are woke.

dajo9
My understanding is woke means becoming awake to social injustice. I am woke. I see the country through a whole different lens than I used to.

I do agree climate change is not really a woke issue. And a piece of art is not woke just because it memorializes black people. Even woke black people.
American Vermin
Apathetic Bear
dajo9 said:

My understanding is woke means becoming awake to social injustice. I am woke.
You're not woke, you're just embarrassing. Here's a black man telling you four years ago to stop appropriating their language.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/30/680899262/opinion-its-time-to-put-woke-to-sleep
dajo9
Apathetic Bear said:

dajo9 said:

My understanding is woke means becoming awake to social injustice. I am woke.
You're not woke, you're just embarrassing. Here's a black man telling you four years ago to stop appropriating their language.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/30/680899262/opinion-its-time-to-put-woke-to-sleep

What's embarrassing is you caring about me so much
American Vermin
Apathetic Bear

prospeCt
~ how many 'definitions' can you count for 'woke' on urbandictionary, bi ot challenge

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woke

Ursine
Apparently, with all of the Biden inflation, white people just don't have the money to spend on having woke consultants tell them how racist they are this year.

Ursine
The woke are now coming for our books.

dimitrig
Ursine said:

To be clear, the changes were made in conjunction with Roald Dahl's estate:

The Roald Dahl Story Company, which controls the rights to the books, said it worked with Puffin to review the texts because it wanted to ensure that "Dahl's wonderful stories and characters continue to be enjoyed by all children today."

It might be stupid, but they have the rights to the books and can change them however they see fit. That's not censorship anymore than George Lucas mucking with Star Wars is censorship.
okaydo
Ursine said:

Serious question: is there evidence of a mass movement to change these books?
okaydo
dimitrig said:

Ursine said:

To be clear, the changes were made in conjunction with Roald Dahl's estate:

The Roald Dahl Story Company, which controls the rights to the books, said it worked with Puffin to review the texts because it wanted to ensure that "Dahl's wonderful stories and characters continue to be enjoyed by all children today."

It might be stupid, but they have the rights to the books and can change them however they see fit. That's not censorship anymore than George Lucas mucking with Star Wars is censorship.

Personally, I'm against it.

But if they're doing this to sell more books and appeal to a new generation, aren't they being capitalist.

So being anti-woke is anti-capitalist?
Ursine
dimitrig said:

Ursine said:

To be clear, the changes were made in conjunction with Roald Dahl's estate
No they weren't because Netflix owns the Roald Dahl Story Company. Nice try though.
dimitrig
Ursine said:

dimitrig said:

Ursine said:

To be clear, the changes were made in conjunction with Roald Dahl's estate
No they weren't because Netflix owns the Roald Dahl Story Company. Nice try though.

The estate sold to Netflix and Netflix can do whatever they want. Still not censorship.

Lets Go Brandon 14

bear2034

This woman has more guts than most of the men in her industry.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.