What kind of people respond to polls?

570 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by concordtom
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Don't you always hear people say about the results of polls :

"I don't know who they are talking to but *I* was never polled."

Way back in the day I was actually a Nielsen "family" for a short time, but it was when I was hardly watching any television. I also don't now but there were times in my life I have. Anyway, I wasn't then and think that is why they dumped me so quickly. I did get a little money for it. It was something they approached me about with a letter and I can tell you that Nielsen families *do* exist - or did anyway.

Well, tonight I was called by Gallup to do a poll asking about the state of the economy, my feelings about Biden, Congress, abortion, race relations, crime, guns, immigration, interest rates, tax rates, inflation, employment opportunities, the environment, green energy, health care, Social Security, military spending, foreign policy, and other such topics. Since they didn't ask me for any personal information (phishing) I was fine talking to the pollster. It took 14 minutes.

So if you see the results of a Gallup poll with those sorts of questions you can know that I was one of the bozos that was polled. We do exist. Blame me.

By the way, one of the only open-ended questions I was asked (most were multiple choice) is "What do you feel is the biggest problem facing the country today?"

My answer was "Partisanship."

I am not sure if that is my best and final answer given enough time but that is what came to mind and I do think it is destroying this country. I am curious how others would have answered that question.
concordtom
I had a Nielsen box in WC in ~96 for a year or more. Watched a lot of friends and Seinfeld. I also had a college friend who was working on the cartoon Space Ghost at the time so I turned that on in an attempt to rig the results in his favor. Lot of KQED Nature and Nova too.

Re the biggest problem, I was going to say that partisanship was a good answer, but I thought for a moment… is it partisanship when dumb people believe dumb lies?

So I was going to say:
Dumb republicans,
Lying republicans,
Manipulation and gullibility.

I also asked, was it partisan to speak out against nazis, or just the right thing to do?

Maybe you're right, though. Maybe the partisanship is what makes the "dumb" republicans be "dumb", for if they were able to see things in a nonpartisan way they'd reject the lies and nonsense. And the lies would die for being rejected.

Of course, my post here represents massive partisanship. But that's only in response to the partisanship I see on the other side.

I blame Trump
And Rupert
And Newt.

So how about that. Three biggest problems!
Apathetic Bear
dimitrig said:

Way back in the day I was actually a Nielsen "family" for a short time, but it was when I was hardly watching any television. I also don't now but there were times in my life I have. Anyway, I wasn't then and think that is why they dumped me so quickly. I did get a little money for it. It was something they approached me about with a letter and I can tell you that Nielsen families *do* exist - or did anyway.

Well, tonight I was called by Gallup to do a poll asking about the state of the economy, my feelings about Biden, Congress, abortion, race relations, crime, guns, immigration, interest rates, tax rates, inflation, employment opportunities, the environment, green energy, health care, Social Security, military spending, foreign policy, and other such topics. Since they didn't ask me for any personal information (phishing) I was fine talking to the pollster. It took 14 minutes.

So if you see the results of a Gallup poll with those sorts of questions you can know that I was one of the bozos that was polled. We do exist. Blame me.

By the way, one of the only open-ended questions I was asked (most were multiple choice) is "What do you feel is the biggest problem facing the country today?"

I am not sure if that is my best and final answer given enough time but that is what came to mind and I do think it is destroying this country. I am curious how others would have answered that question.
I got an e-mail from the DSCC recently asking me how much I loved the job Biden was doing. I was only too happy to respond. Next day, got an e-mail asking me if I approved of Trump. Had fun on that one too.

Funny thing though, when it got the "Donate Now" portion, I suddenly lost interest.
SBGold
Apathetic Bear said:

dimitrig said:

I got an e-mail from the DSCC recently asking me how much I loved the job Biden was doing. I was only too happy to respond. Next day, got an e-mail asking me if I approved of Trump. Had fun on that one too.

Funny thing though, when it got the "Donate Now" portion, I suddenly lost interest.
Gotta be BearFarce
concordtom
Apathetic Bear said:

Political emails are only after 1 thing. Donate.
Ignore every single one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.