A CAL FAN'S S NOTES: "WHAT HAPPENED?

2,162 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bearister
JeffEarlWarren
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For one man's thoughts click here--or delete at will.

http://www.jeffreyearlwarren.com/cal-vs-ole-miss-happened/
NVBear78
Excellent commentary Jeff, spot on regarding the provost letter to students. When are Libs in California going to wake up to the real world. And you are right, Wilcox has "it".
FuzzyWuzzy
JeffEarlWarren said:

You sound like such the victim.
okaydo
JeffEarlWarren said:

You wrote:

So which are the 3 generations?

This happened in 1983, so the Baby Boomers are eliminated:

This happened in 2000, so Generation X is eliminated:

So what generations are left? The Silent Generation? The Generation born after the Civil War?
jy1988
Very few who were at Belleau Wood would have said they wanted to be there shortly thereafter, or probably within a few years of that battle at least, until the mellowing of old age dimmed their memories of the horror that anyone who was there must have experienced. Don't sell that brand of spirit here, please.
ferCALgm2
This is BI, not Breitbart.
socaliganbear
The student section was sooo full until Antifa showed up a few years ago. Then the crowds disappeared.
minkjr
Just one old crank's thoughts!
AUOso
Jeff,

Respectfully,

I have enjoyed reading your musings in the past...even with the occasional political jab that I might disagree with, but this manifesto/diatribe is not readable in any pleasurable form.

Can we focus on our 3-0 Golden bears without the side dose of political dogma? Its just too much fun to contemplate that rather than dragging us down with politics right now, reality is too depressing.

WE ARE UNDEFEATED...REVEL IN THAT!!!! LET ME ENJOY THE SHEER FANTASY OF A POSSIBLE 10 WIN SEASON FOR NOW.....

So have a discussion about politics....have a discussion about Cal football, but please separate your religion (Cal fandom) and state (Politics) here.

For the love of Oski, please do not drag the one thing that we all share into some divisive political statement nightmare.

I beg you.
GMP
FuzzyWuzzy said:

JeffEarlWarren said:

The apple fell far from the tree and is rotting and covered in insects.
AUOso
GMP said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

JeffEarlWarren said:

The apple fell far from the tree and is rotting and covered in insects.
Just stop it....everyone just stop....

Admins can we move this thread off topic before it degenerates into a political shouting match? This is NOT what I come for here, I come here precisely to get away from that.
XXXBEAR

The students don't come because the tickets are no longer free. The alums don't go because they get home at 1:00 a.m. (Like me) . I have heard it argued that the diversity of the student body includes many cultures who don't include "football" as part of their cultural heritage. Not sure if I agree. Let's see what happens against USC for a 12:30 game. I think we will get the stadium rockin' again.

By the way, it's "Banzai" not "bonzai"

Boot
So enlightening. Now go back getting coffee for Bannon.
82gradDLSdad
XXXBEAR said:

The students don't come because the tickets are no longer free. The alums don't go because they get home at 1:00 a.m. (Like me) . I have heard it argued that the diversity of the student body includes many cultures who don't include "football" as part of their cultural heritage. Not sure if I agree. Let's see what happens against USC for a 12:30 game. I think we will get the stadium rockin' again.

By the way, it's "Banzai" not "bonzai"

I really wish they'd give students free tickets and find a way to sell the ESP seats (eg. variable pricing, etc.). Memorial would rock and revenue would pick up in the long run. Build a fanbase now while Wilcox rebuilds the program!
WhatABonanza
Blah, blah, blah.

I'm not sure why I click to read crap like that. It's only the name that pulls me in.

Slam Hilary all you want. Have you read the book? Have you read the news? She has accepted responsibility. She is also pointing out some heinous activity. I was really angry when I heard the first excerpts - I thought she was the wrong messenger. But as I've heard her interviews, I realize now that she is saying things that need to be said. The country is in trouble, leaders have their heads in the sand, and you write dismissive crap about the good old days. The back of the hand slap here doesn't work.

Have you been on campus lately? Free speech is a battle these days. I've had real conversations with some very smart Cal students who are wrestling with this. They are thinking this through and trying to come up with reasonable solutions. They don't mind Shapiro speaking - but they are genuinely concerned about the anarchists who show up dead set on violence. There is no obvious or easy approach here, and it doesn't help when old guys make dismissive statements about how you once had this all figured out.

I have immense respect for the leaders of the FSM at Cal back in the day. Those folks had courage and principle and discipline. But the same approach doesn't work today. The country is armed to the hilt, the language of hate and violence has been legitimized and things can blow up very quickly. So taking some time to talk this through, to create safe spaces... not a bad idea in my book.

As to the empty seats... there are a lot of students at Cal today who are smart, courageous and principled. And a lot of them aren't interested in football. They may be interested in other stuff. They may have lost respect for a sport that now turns out to take a higher toll than we once thought. But it's a choice they made. The administration made choices - and assumptions - a few years back and ended up building a stadium that was bound to have a lot of empty seats in it.

BearlyCareAnymore
JeffEarlWarren said:

I find it hilarious that members of the generation that gave us the Manson Family, the Simbianese Liberation Army, the Weathermen, and other groups that carried out bombings and other serious acts of violence are so willing to go nuclear on this generation over a handful of nutters in black hoods breaking windows. But it is what I've come to expect from a generation that judged their parents and told them how to live, judged their kids and told them how to live, and now judge their grandkids and tell them how to live.
okaydo
Wow, it seems like the OP would be ashamed of Earl Warren...

dajo9
Older generations today are trying to ruin the peace bestowed upon us by the Greatest Generation and they are trying to blame the kids for it.
American Vermin
YuSeeBerkeley
No disrespect, but I found the writing to be incredibly corny. And I think the reason you had such a difficult time tying our surprising 3-0 record to the reaction to right wing speakers is because they're entirely unrelated.
tequila4kapp
I mostly agree with the OP's view about speech on campus and students, etc.. But that was a very strange pivot from football to free speech, to the point that the football stuff seemed like filler to get the OP to his real purpose for the article. In which case...eh.
CAL6371
JeffEarlWarren - Loved the whole post - it is amazing what good leadership can do. Unfortunately we haven't had any at the Presidential level for 24 plus years.
BearlyCareAnymore
CAL6371 said:

JeffEarlWarren - Loved the whole post - it is amazing what good leadership can do. Unfortunately we haven't had any at the Presidential level for 24 plus years.
The solution to the poor way the country has been run over the last generation is simple. Ice Floes. Although since that generation let the ice caps melt, there might not be enough room.
Unit2Sucks
JeffEarlWarren - have you met our friend Cal STRONG? I think you would like him.
sycasey
socaliganbear said:

The student section was sooo full until Antifa showed up a few years ago. Then the crowds disappeared.
We would definitely be selling out games if not for Colin Kaepernick.
UrsaMajor
sycasey said:

socaliganbear said:

We would definitely be selling out games if not for Colin Kaepernick.
I blame Buh.
bearister
".....Rick Pitino had the keys to the kingdom.....he is looking through the key hole...at strippers.."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.