The Most Fiscally Irresponsible Government We've Ever Had

12,341 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by concordtom
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
President Trump and the Republican House and Senate have recently enacted two fiscal bills that amount to the most fiscally irresponsible government America has ever had. Due to the tax cut and the increased spending, the estimate of the deficit for the current fiscal year is $1.15 trillion. This, at a time when unemployment is about 4% and GDP growth is modest, if not what we would like it to be.

Fiscal responsibility would demand running surpluses in the current economy, given our current national debt is over 100% of GDP for the first time since WWII.

We've seen this movie before. Americans have been voting to receive something for nothing for a long time now. Last time, shortly after GWB's tax cuts, we generated a bubble economy, which was great for a little while. Deficits even stayed down during the bubble economy allowing supply-siders to strut around. Then the bubble crashed and our debt doubled. In fact, that was the time to run deficits to help the economy get back on its feet. Now is not the time to run trillion dollar deficits. When we go into recession, and we will at some point, the country will be on the worst fiscal footing it has ever been.

American Vermin
golden sloth
I personally like the narrative of how the military is falling behind. The US has consistently been spending around 600 billion per year on military spending, when the next 8-10 countries spend around 600 billion combined on their respective militaries. China is the second largest spender at 200 billion and Russia is between 65 and 85 billion. So my question is, if the US military is falling behind, how the hell is that happening? Also note, the figures listed above all vary slightly based on the reporting entity, but they are all in the same general ballpark.
BearChemist
Neither D nor R would dare to touch the political third rail -- military cut. Imagine how much money can be saved if Pentagon can spend their budget for only 5% more efficient.
Anarchistbear
Bombing 7 countries is expensive
sycasey
I'm sure Republicans will care a lot about deficits once a Democrat is president again.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

I'm sure Republicans will care a lot about deficits once a Democrats is president again retake congress.
Fixed.
FuzzyWuzzy
golden sloth said:

I personally like the narrative of how the military is falling behind. The US has consistently been spending around 600 billion per year on military spending, when the next 8-10 countries spend around 600 billion combined on their respective militaries. China is the second largest spender at 200 billion and Russia is between 65 and 85 billion. So my question is, if the US military is falling behind, how the hell is that happening? Also note, the figures listed above all vary slightly based on the reporting entity, but they are all in the same general ballpark.
I am no expert in this area but it's not. Here are some guesses as to why the Pentagon needs mo money:

1. Culture of procurement. Generals want cool fighting gadgets, and they ain't paying so what the heck. It's like they are going out to eat on the company credit card so they order the surf and turf, and they don't even like lobster. Take the F-35 joint strike fighter, which is now estimated to cost $165 million per fighter jet. Think about that! You can probably buy 6-7 F-16s for the cost of one F-35 and since it is a proven technology it will break down less. (The F-35 has reliability issues.). The entire F-35 program is estimated to cost more than a $1 trillion. Do we really need this jet? Are superior fighter jets that important in modern warfare? Maybe Phantom can comment. I think I'd rather have a couple F-16s, some drones and Medicare for all but what do I know.

2. Profligate waste. Anecdotal reports from friends: US military goes to Iraq and Afghanistan, gets out their monkey wrench and opens up the fire hydrant-o-cash. Pay off the warlord, fix the oil well, build a new water treatment plant, etc., etc. There is no incentive to be efficient about this kind of spending because the political climate back home makes the flow of money endless. The money spigot runs freely because the military needs good headlines back home about successful nation-building, which has been kind of a sysiphean exercise.

3. Use it or lose it attitude. Aside from the war, the military is an enormous government bureaucracy. They will spend as much as you give them, often on nothing productive at all. Because if your department doesn't spend its budget this year, it might get reduced next year. Government workers here, nod your heads knowingly.

4. Fraud. This is purely anecdotal and obviously an exaggeration but every. single. veteran. claims disability when they retire from the military, and the military doctors go along with it because it is a brotherhood. That is only a slight exaggeration. The real number might be more like 95%. You can get military disability payments for all kinds of things that likely had nothing to do with your service. One guy I know gets payments for sleep apnea (yes, he was laughing as he told me this). Another gets payments for a birth mark that he claimed was a skin condition he got in the military. But he does triathlons! He also told me he literally does not know a single retired veteran who does not have a highly questionable/false disability claim. It's free money to them and you're stupid if you don't take it. There was a Trump appointee who got fired recently for some controversial comments recently, I think about a black guy who showed up to his house to pick up free firewood. Anyone remember that guy? Anyway, he was retired military who served in Iraq and one of the controversial things he said was at least 70% of PTSD claims are false, just people trying to collect disability. In the discretionary part of the federal budget, military spending is the largest item. Followed by interest on the national debt. Followed by veterans benefits, a large portion of which is false disability payments. Yep, veterans are the third largest item on the discretionary half of the federal budget. I suppose that includes their legitimate health care, which the government should absolutely pay for.
sp4149
golden sloth said:

The military has always been falling behind (I worked for the Navy for 36+ years, shore and ships) In the 1970s we were designing ships to be less vulnerable to WWII dive bombers. Unfortunately that made them tall and narrow, less seaworthy and vulnerable to over the horizon missiles and naval guns. Probably since 1900 we have been planning for the wrong war and wasting money accordingly.

One of the biggest failures of DOD is maintenance and parts availability; 40 years ago the Navy had a goal to have 30% parts/equipment interchangeable on ships of the same class. Even on ships built in the same shipyard this hasn't been achieved. Like many DOD problems, this is a contract admin problem. DOD has been a big proponent of metrics, but no one seems to evaluate the 'value' of the metric. DOD rated PM as satisfactory if it had been scheduled, ignored (didn't collect) actual completion data for Preventative Maintenance. A well-hyped by hawks DOD deficiency is the flight availability of DOD aircraft; it's pretty easy to see how this happened. DOD only procures only high maintenance aircraft, new planes in the pipeline require 50 hours of maintenance for each flight hour. Consider a South West passenger jet that logs in twelve flight hours in a long day; does it get 600 hours of maintenance to get ready for the next day? Or Do they turn it off and park it at the gate till the next morning (San Diego practice)? Our country may have started with the concept of a Minuteman, but it has evolved into the SixMonthMan. What is the point of having the most technically advanced weapons in the world if you can only use them a couple of times a week, or month. Our professional politicians (the military brass) have created a military they can't maintain; more money for high tech toys won't change that problem or stop the number of military personnel killed due to incomplete or inadequate maintenance.

Remember in 2016 when DOD revealed how much they completely lost in appropriated funds? Trillions Go Missing from the Military: Pentagon Can't Account for $6.5T in Taxpayer Cash (Fox News August 18, 2016) Surprisingly, as the overwhelming chunk of discretionary spending, DOD has never been audited. Give them credit for the hutzpah to ask for more money when they don't know where they spend what they get now.
Golden One
You're absolutely right. There are just too many people with their hands out to gather up some free money from the government. The military and its veterans are certainly guilty of this, as are the majority of illegal immigrants, and all too man of our citizens. Our leaders in Washington need to have the balls to start closing the free money spigot, including the entitlement spigot. But that won't happen until their free spending habits create a major crisis in the country's financial position.
SRBear
Face it, they're all in on the act...

Toot, toot
dajo9
Golden One said:

You're absolutely right. There are just too many people with their hands out to gather up some free money from the government. The military and its veterans are certainly guilty of this, as are the majority of illegal immigrants, and all too man of our citizens. Our leaders in Washington need to have the balls to start closing the free money spigot, including the entitlement spigot. But that won't happen until their free spending habits create a major crisis in the country's financial position.
Instead of saying entitlements why don't you come out and name the programs that you want to cut / eliminate?

American Vermin
joe amos yaks
Redundancy.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Golden One
dajo9 said:

Golden One said:

Instead of saying entitlements why don't you come out and name the programs that you want to cut / eliminate?

I'd start by eliminating Medicaid; then I'd increase the eligibility age for Social Security and Medicare to 70. I"d then eliminate all aid to illegal immigrants (no free healthcare, no free tuition, no free legal aid, etc.). I'd establish a work requirement to receive any kind of government support, unless one is physically unable to work. I'd declare English the official language of the U.S. and stop the use of any other language in government- issued documents. Those would be a good start, but none of it will happen, because the political leadership of both major parties doesn't have the guts to make it happen. Instead, it's inevitable that when the financial crisis occurs, taxes will increase, especially on higher income levels, and even more of the federal revenue will come from a smaller number of higher income people. That's the American way.
Golden One
joe amos yaks said:

Redundancy.
Huh?
sp4149
Golden One said:

dajo9 said:

Golden One said:

I'd start by eliminating Medicaid; then I'd increase the eligibility age for Social Security and Medicare to 70. I"d then eliminate all aid to illegal immigrants (no free healthcare, no free tuition, no free legal aid, etc.). I'd establish a work requirement to receive any kind of government support, unless one is physically unable to work. I'd declare English the official language of the U.S. and stop the use of any other language in government- issued documents. Those would be a good start, but none of it will happen, because the political leadership of both major parties doesn't have the guts to make it happen. Instead, it's inevitable that when the financial crisis occurs, taxes will increase, especially on higher income levels, and even more of the federal revenue will come from a smaller number of higher income people. That's the American way.
Chasing pennies is wonderfully symbolic, but it doesn't add up to much. The amount of money that DOD lost (as reported by Fox News) is equal to one third of the total national debt. And most of that was in the last 16 years; AKA at spending levels that the military considers inadequate. Increasing the DOD budget just means that they will lose more money as the national debt grows at one Trillion dollars a year (or likely even more). San Diego has been fortunate to have GOP Congressman who made billions as government contractors, that just means that the party in charge has no incentive to rein in waste when it is making them rich.
Golden One
sp4149 said:

Golden One said:

dajo9 said:

Golden One said:

Chasing pennies is wonderfully symbolic, but it doesn't add up to much. The amount of money that DOD lost (as reported by Fox News) is equal to one third of the total national debt. And most of that was in the last 16 years; AKA at spending levels that the military considers inadequate. Increasing the DOD budget just means that they will lose more money as the national debt grows at one Trillion dollars a year (or likely even more). San Diego has been fortunate to have COP Congressman who made billions as government contractors, that just means that the party in charge has no incentive to rein in waste when it is making them rich.
Although I don't know what COP congressmen are, I do agree with you that much greater spending discipline needs to be exercised in the Defense Department. However, I was asked what entitlements I would cut, and my post made a number of proposals, which collectively are not "pennies". Implementing all of the options I proposed would put a major dent in the deficit.
sp4149
Golden One said:

sp4149 said:

Golden One said:

dajo9 said:

Golden One said:

Chasing pennies is wonderfully symbolic, but it doesn't add up to much. The amount of money that DOD lost (as reported by Fox News) is equal to one third of the total national debt. And most of that was in the last 16 years; AKA at spending levels that the military considers inadequate. Increasing the DOD budget just means that they will lose more money as the national debt grows at one Trillion dollars a year (or likely even more). San Diego has been fortunate to have GOP Congressman who made billions as government contractors, that just means that the party in charge has no incentive to rein in waste when it is making them rich.
Although I don't know what GOP congressmen are, I do agree with you that much greater spending discipline needs to be exercised in the Defense Department. However, I was asked what entitlements I would cut, and my post made a number of proposals, which collectively are not "pennies". Implementing all of the options I proposed would put a major dent in the deficit.
The eligibility age for government support like Social Security has been increased to 70, it's being phased in for those under 65, so that wouldn't help any. Now if you want those on Social Security Disability or pensions or other Government support to have to work for those benefits regardless of their age, that would be radical. Most taxpayers don't know how much the Government subsidizes Veterans, while Reagan eliminated the ability of Federal employees to have both a Civil Service Pension and Social Security benefits, even if they paid into both; the Veterans loopholes were mostly retained. For retired military the benefits are substantial, not only could they draw their military pensions immediately upon retirement, as early as 38 without having to wait until 70 as you suggest; but Federal, State and Local governments also count those years of military service toward retirement benefits if they get a government job. In California some local jurisdictions give employees 3% of their top 3 salary for each year of service; a twenty year military vet gets a job in that locality works another 10 years and retires at 90% of their top 3 salary. And the pension fund suffers as the vet has only paid into the system for 10 of the 30 years of credited benefits. Also some Government jobs have much earlier retirement ages for full benefits than Social Security. Maybe instead of taking money from the elderly, delaying benefits for the young might not only be reasonable, but could save a lot more money; it would save a lot of government pension funds from bankruptcy.
Unit2Sucks
Agreed with SP. I always called the military republican welfare and it's by far our largest entitlement. I'm okay having the best military in the world by a hair. Doesn't need to be better than everyone else combined. We no longer have that much to protect and it's more of a benefit for the allies and other foreign countries we protect. People complain about the foreign aid we provide (I don't disagree with the criticism generally) but don't apply the same scrutiny to our military.
Golden One
sp4149 said:

Golden One said:

sp4149 said:

Golden One said:

dajo9 said:

Golden One said:

Although I don't know what GOP congressmen are, I do agree with you that much greater spending discipline needs to be exercised in the Defense Department. However, I was asked what entitlements I would cut, and my post made a number of proposals, which collectively are not "pennies". Implementing all of the options I proposed would put a major dent in the deficit.
The eligibility age for government support like Social Security has been increased to 70, it's being phased in for those under 65, so that wouldn't help any. Now if you want those on Social Security Disability or pensions or other Government support to have to work for those benefits regardless of their age, that would be radical. Most taxpayers don't know how much the Government subsidizes Veterans, while Reagan eliminated the ability of Federal employees to have both a Civil Service Pension and Social Security benefits, even if they paid into both; the Veterans loopholes were mostly retained. For retired military the benefits are substantial, not only could they draw their military pensions immediately upon retirement, as early as 38 without having to wait until 70 as you suggest; but Federal, State and Local governments also count those years of military service toward retirement benefits if they get a government job. In California some local jurisdictions give employees 3% of their top 3 salary for each year of service; a twenty year military vet gets a job in that locality works another 10 years and retires at 90% of their top 3 salary. And the pension fund suffers as the vet has only paid into the system for 10 of the 30 years of credited benefits. Also some Government jobs have much earlier retirement ages for full benefits than Social Security. Maybe instead of taking money from the elderly, delaying benefits for the young might not only be reasonable, but could save a lot more money; it would save a lot of government pension funds from bankruptcy.
I completely agree with your points regarding military and government pensions. Regarding Social Security and Medicare eligibility for the masses, I wouldn't phase it in. I would start age 70 eligibility immediately. By the way, your original post said "COP" congressmen, not "GOP" congressmen.
Golden One
Unit2Sucks said:

Agreed with SP. I always called the military a republican welfare and it's by far our largest entitlement. I'm okay having the best military in the world by a hair. Doesn't need to be better than everyone else combined. We no longer have that much to protect and it's more of a benefit for the allies and other foreign countries we protect. People complain about the foreign aid we provide (I don't disagree with the criticism generally) but don't apply the same security to our military.
I also agree. I want to have the best military in the world, but given our ingenuity and innovativeness, achieving that goal shouldn't cost as much as everyone else combined. Spending in our military is out of control.
golden sloth
SRBear said:

Face it, they're all in on the act...

Toot, toot
I've been in the Architecture game for about 10 years now, and the one thing I learned is that contractors and subcontractors are lying sacks of poop. The pure audaciousness of some of the lies they tell are truly staggering, particularly on the super projects. PS: Super-projects run over-budget and over-schedule 98% of the time.
golden sloth
I also wanted to make a point about Rand Paul. I deeply disagree with him politically, but it was nice to see someone maintain the same position on government spending in spite of the white house changing parties.
sycasey
golden sloth said:

I also wanted to make a point about Rand Paul. I deeply disagree with him politically, but it was nice to see someone maintain the same position on government spending in spite of the white house changing parties.
Agreed. He seems to at least stand on principle, even if they are principles I don't fully agree with.

Someone like that can be negotiated with. People who just follow the whims of party leadership (and an inconsistent, unstable President) can't.
Anarchistbear
Paul voted for a tax cut and a resulting 1.5 trillion deficit. Where was he then?
dajo9
I appreciate you making social security, Medicare, and Medicaid as programs you'd like to cut. Republican politicians usually lie about these goals. Trump lied and promised more healthcare for less money.

The reason these programs don't get cut is because the American people support them. Taxes will be raised on the very wealthy eventually. It wouldn't be such a small group of people if they hadn't hoarded it all to themselves in the first place.

In the meantime we will have to endure a fiscal crisis wrought by lying politicians doing the bidding of the 1%.
American Vermin
Golden One
dajo9 said:

I appreciate you making social security, Medicare, and Medicaid as programs you'd like to cut. Republican politicians usually lie about these goals. Trump lied and promised more healthcare for less money.

The reason these programs don't get cut is because the American people support them. Taxes will be raised on the very wealthy eventually. It wouldn't be such a small group of people if they hadn't hoarded it all to themselves in the first place.

In the meantime we will have to endure a fiscal crisis wrought by lying politicians doing the bidding of the 1%.
I agree with you about the lying politicians. However, I think they're doing the bidding of the 99%, not the 1%. The 99% wants more freebies and more benefits; they don't care where the money to pay for them comes from, and they don't care about the annual deficit. This 99% elects the lying politicians. The 1% doesn't have enough votes to elect anybody.
dajo9
When Trump lies and says you'll get more health care for less money and then tries to cut healthcare and cut taxes for the rich he is lying for votes and doing the bidding of the 1%.

People pay into and earn their social security.

The solution to expensive healthcare is to do what every other advanced country does, which actually will deliver better healthcare for less money.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
Golden One said:

I agree with you about the lying politicians. However, I think they're doing the bidding of the 99%, not the 1%. The 99% wants more freebies and more benefits; they don't care where the money to pay for them comes from, and they don't care about the annual deficit. This 99% elects the lying politicians. The 1% doesn't have enough votes to elect anybody.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. Do you think campaign finance bears any relation to the outcome of elections? The impact of the donor class is real. Look at republican congressmen who acknowledged their donors told them never to call them again if they didn't pass the tax cut bill. Politicians are bought and sold relatively cheaply when you consider how much of an impact they have. It's money well spent for the 0.01%.
sp4149
Unit2Sucks said:

Agreed with SP. I always called the military republican welfare and it's by far our largest entitlement. I'm okay having the best military in the world by a hair. Doesn't need to be better than everyone else combined. We no longer have that much to protect and it's more of a benefit for the allies and other foreign countries we protect. People complain about the foreign aid we provide (I don't disagree with the criticism generally) but don't apply the same scrutiny to our military.
You realize that for most of these countries our foreign aid is 'military hardware'. Our competitors in these
'*********' countries to quote POTUS provide roads and dams and we provide the guns to keep the masses from revolution. Admittedly when we compete with Russia to provide weapons we end up involved in Afghanistan and Syria. When the Grump wanted NATO to spend more on defense, carry their share of the load; he really wanted them to buy more US weapons; not share the load so we could spend less on defense. What Eisenhower warned about is now the swamp that the Grump is re-populating with GMO creatures.
Golden One
dajo9 said:

When Trump lies and says you'll get more health care for less money and then tries to cut healthcare and cut taxes for the rich he is lying for votes and doing the bidding of the 1%.

The solution to expensive healthcare is to do what every other advanced country does, which actually will deliver better healthcare for less money.
Yeah, right. That's the party line B.S. pitched by the Libs.
Golden One
Unit2Sucks said:

Golden One said:

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. Do you think campaign finance bears any relation to the outcome of elections? The impact of the donor class is real. Look at republican congressmen who acknowledged their donors told them never to call them again if they didn't pass the tax cut bill. Politicians are bought and sold relatively cheaply when you consider how much of an impact they have. It's money well spent for the 0.01%.
Hillary had no shortage of money courtesy of the "donor class". It's foolhardy to say that the 1% donate only to Republicans.
drizzlybears brother
Golden One said:

dajo9 said:

Yeah, right. That's the party line B.S. pitched by the Libs.
im curious to understand how you think things would play out if those cuts you propose were made real.
dajo9
It also happens to be backed up by data but your views are clearly dominated by your emotions and feelings.
American Vermin
drizzlybears brother
dajo9 said:

It also happens to be backed up by data but your views are clearly dominated by your emotions and feelings.
I suspect dajo, that this post verbatim could have been posted by golden or any other of the more conservative voices here.

Both sides truly believe that they are the ones dealing in fact. The extent of the divide, however, suggests that's not possible. So which side seems more open to reconsidering their conclusions, and how they arrived there? Which side is more likely to be open to reconsidering their world view when facts begin not to fit it? Is either side willing to actively seek informed opposing views to challenge and refine their own personal views?

We've been in this same social support vs small government lather - rinse - repeat, lather - rinse - repeat cycle for over a generation, but it's likely that change is coming that will throw these conventions on their ear. And who then among us will be most prepared to address these new conditions as they truly are?
sp4149
drizzlybears brother said:

I suspect dajo, that this post verbatim could have been posted by golden or any other of the more conservative voices here.

We've been in this same social support vs small government lather - rinse, lather - rinse cycle for over a generation, but it's likely that change is coming that will throw these conventions on there ear. And who then among us will be most prepared to address these new conditions as they truly are?
The biggest part of our government is the military and these 'so called' small government advocates,
have been pushing and voting for a massive increase in the DOD budget. In fact they are BIG Military, BIG Government Advocates, and refuse to admit or recognize that their political platforms increase the size and scope of government. There are a very few, true, small Government advocates and they get ridiculed by the governing party as being treasonous or unpatriotic.

Big Military IS Big Government
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.