Good Advice from Willie

1,373 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Willie Brown has some good advice you many of you in his column in today's Chronicle.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/williesworld/article/Trump-is-more-popular-than-Dems-want-to-admit-12908579.php
concordtom
Rather than stoking the base by attacking Trump, Democrats need to come up with a platform that addresses the average voters' hopes and concerns. Not just the needs of underdogs or whatever cause happens to be the media flavor of the week.

Democrats need to look like the adults, not like another pack of screaming kids on the playground.
And they need to start now.
Besides, when it comes to bashing Trump, Donald is doing just fine on his own.

I'm just hoping for a heart attack to save us.
concordtom
Golden,
I know you said elsewhere that you don't like trump's behavior but do agree with 70% of his policies.
Here's what I don't like:

1. His decorum is a terrible example for everyone in the country.
2. His team is full of a bunch of liars. They follow his lead.
3. Disregard for environmental measures.
4. His economic bills further expand the deficit, the accumulated debt, mortgaging our long term future as the preeminent reserve currency. I do not believe the projections that might say otherwise (see #2).
5. Everything he does, I believe, is motivated by self interest. A policy is made to either help his own business, a friend's business, or simply to garner praise for himself as some great man. There is nothing great about this man. He is uninspiring because he is actually a little child: selfish, insecure. I do not trust him with a 10 foot pole to tell the truth, and certainly not with the powers that the executive office grants him. I believe everything will unravel eventually.
6. The current economic upswing is paved on the back of temporary short term gains thru altered tax policy (repatriation, and a short term adjustment to expected tax bills) and increased expenditures (see my prior posts on GNP = C + I + G - Imports + Exports).

....for starters.
Anarchistbear
Kamala Harris was Willie's mistress. He knows what Democrats need.
golden sloth
Golden One said:

Willie Brown has some good advice you many of you in his column in today's Chronicle.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/williesworld/article/Trump-is-more-popular-than-Dems-want-to-admit-12908579.php
Trump may be more popular than Democrats care to admit, but the majority of the population still disapproves of him. Typically about 40% approve of him, and 52% disapprove of him. The numbers have typically been this way (give or take 2 - 3 points) for his entire presidency. Face it, the majority of Americans disapprove of him and his work in office. He is taking a minority opinion and imposing it upon the majority of people. Since 1992, Republicans have won one popular vote for the presidency That is once in seven attempts.

Also, I try not to disparage the other side, but it is hard when they abandon all of their previous viewpoints to simply agree with the man in charge, even when the man in charge is acting against their own best interests (tax cuts, health care, etc.). It is hard when their view of law enforcement and the FBI does a complete 180 degree turn in less than 18 months based on the Trump - Fox coalition of talking points. They moved from complete support for law enforcement during the Black Lives Matter movement to 60% thinking law enforcement is actively setting up Trump. It is hard when the evangelical right that roasted Clinton for a consensual bj in the oval office backs a Roy Moore. It is hard when the only thing they seemingly stand for is supporting the man in office, who again, is actively working against their interests.

Moving to the more extreme wing of the Trump supporters (because they are not a monolith). It is hard to take anyone serious when Alex Jones and inforwars or Breitbart is their primary source of information. There simply is no common understanding among the same events to have a productive conversation. It is hard when they classify any negative news as fake news, there is no sense of self-evaluation or self-critique. Of questioning whether or not they have the appropriate position. I don't want it to be this way, but I don't see a way out. I wish we could return to an era of civil and informed disagreement, where the rule of law and the application of good-faith government ruled (though maybe I'm naive, did this ever exist).
concordtom
I, too, have wondered if maybe the aura of prior gentlemanliness was just a mirage.

2. The problem is that the extreme faction have been successful in brainwashing a large percentage of the populace into thinking that THEY are the truth tellers. I disagree strongly.

3. It IS AMAZING to me that the traditional values of the Republican Party have been tossed out the window just so these suckers can go along with the crowd. I've made my list of Republicans who have gone against this insanity, and they are at the top of my list. All others be cast into the ocean without a rescue.
Anarchistbear
What exactly are the traditional values of the Republican Party? In recent memory it is a party for tax cuts, for increasing military budget and military intervention, for expanding the security state, against immigration and against expanding government and social services. It seems to me that Trump fits very well with traditional values
Golden One
concordtom said:

Golden,
I know you said elsewhere that you don't like trump's behavior but do agree with 70% of his policies.
Here's what I don't like:

1. His decorum is a terrible example for everyone in the country.
2. His team is full of a bunch of liars. They follow his lead.
3. Disregard for environmental measures.
4. His economic bills further expand the deficit, the accumulated debt, mortgaging our long term future as the preeminent reserve currency. I do not believe the projections that might say otherwise (see #2).
5. Everything he does, I believe, is motivated by self interest. A policy is made to either help his own business, a friend's business, or simply to garner praise for himself as some great man. There is nothing great about this man. He is uninspiring because he is actually a little child: selfish, insecure. I do not trust him with a 10 foot pole to tell the truth, and certainly not with the powers that the executive office grants him. I believe everything will unravel eventually.
6. The current economic upswing is paved on the back of temporary short term gains thru altered tax policy (repatriation, and a short term adjustment to expected tax bills) and increased expenditures (see my prior posts on GNP = C + I + G - Imports + Exports).

....for starters.
I agree with you on #1 and #4, and partially on #5.
dajo9
concordtom said:

....for starters.

The economy is the same as it was in Obama's 2nd term. The only thing that has changed is the media reporting. Same GDP, inflation, and wage trends.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
This has got to be the first time that G1 has ever agreed with Willie Brown.
blungld
Golden One said:

The subtext in your post and in others on this board is that Democrats don't have a good reason for being opposed to him. Not to put words in your mouth but you have suggested on these boards that those who are against him are opposed because of the FOX speaking points: sore losers, irrational, emotional, etc.

My dislike for the man and his Presidency falls into three buckets. You may disagree, but I think you can understand why a person would have these opinions:

1) The WAY he won the election. Cultivating division, appealing to anger and prejudice, fueling outrage, and lying (not to say anything of potential manipulation of the outcome). This is nothing about being a "sore loser", this wanting a more elevated electorate and process for selecting the most powerful person in the world. I want great people running the world, not those who appeal to the worst parts of our psychology. It galls me that his tactics won, and now are being repeated. This is not a step forward in civilization.

2) The person that he is. As stated above, I want the President to be a person that embodies wisdom, intelligence, education, leadership, character, and values of our countries principles. I want to feel pride toward our President and the country we represent ourselves to be around the world. Trump makes me feel ashamed. And his tweets, policies, and public speaking cut against every attribute I listed above. Again, not sore loser or tribal loyalty, or anti-Republican; it is that THIS man and who he surrounds himself with and what he does violates everything dear to me.

3) The direction he moves the country. He is tearing down civility and liberties that will be tough to re-contruct. He moves us down the path of oligarchy, kleptocracy, and authoritarianism. He makes our country less friendly and hospitable. He makes enemies of our allies and makes the world a more dangerous place. And he sets precedence. I do not want to live in a country like Russia where organized crime runs everything in the background and the citizens live under a blanket of oppression, expected party loyalty, and the threat of strongmen violence. America should be the light to that darkness, and Trump has been operating in shadow his whole life.

I believe if that the two of us (you and me) shared a coffee ten years ago and you read this email, you would completely agree with what i wrote. That your description of what you wanted in a President and what you wanted America to be would align with what I am describing. It is only because "your guy" is now in power and the conservative reframes who he is and what words mean that my description would now be something to take issue with. I guarantee that if you were able to step outside yourself and the context of Liberal/Conservative, winning/losing, etc you too would be completely opposed to what is happening. I am not so politically activated because I am a sore loser or to line up with some Liberal agenda, I am genuinely afraid at the most personal level that we are rewarding evil and that our country is being destroyed...and that the next great war is more a possibility than ever. Those conclusions are completely justified by observing what is actually happening.
Anarchistbear
Actually you can get a lot of mileage out of not being Trump given his approval ratings, typical losses in mid terms by the party in power, and large numbers of Repubs retiring. It gets you close to a majority.

But, Congressional races are local struggles-many Dems in swing districts won't mention Trump's name (or Pelosi) but will talk about policy like Willie suggests-health care, education, unions. Those in safe blue districts -.like Willies-.will talk impeachment to rile the base even though that's not likely to happen. At any rate Trump so dominates our politics that he will be the center of it all-in the media, anyway- who are mostly far removed from what is really happening.
Golden One
blungld said:

Golden One said:

The subtext in your post and in others on this board is that Democrats don't have a good reason for being opposed to him. Not to put words in your mouth but you have suggested on these boards that those who are against him are opposed because of the FOX speaking points: sore losers, irrational, emotional, etc.

My dislike for the man and his Presidency falls into three buckets. You may disagree, but I think you can understand why a person would have these opinions:

1) The WAY he won the election. Cultivating division, appealing to anger and prejudice, fueling outrage, and lying (not to say anything of potential manipulation of the outcome). This is nothing about being a "sore loser", this wanting a more elevated electorate and process for selecting the most powerful person in the world. I want great people running the world, not those who appeal to the worst parts of our psychology. It galls me that his tactics won, and now are being repeated. This is not a step forward in civilization.

2) The person that he is. As stated above, I want the President to be a person that embodies wisdom, intelligence, education, leadership, character, and values of our countries principles. I want to feel pride toward our President and the country we represent ourselves to be around the world. Trump makes me feel ashamed. And his tweets, policies, and public speaking cut against every attribute I listed above. Again, not sore loser or tribal loyalty, or anti-Republican; it is that THIS man and who he surrounds himself with and what he does violates everything dear to me.

3) The direction he moves the country. He is tearing down civility and liberties that will be tough to re-contruct. He moves us down the path of oligarchy, kleptocracy, and authoritarianism. He makes our country less friendly and hospitable. He makes enemies of our allies and makes the world a more dangerous place. And he sets precedence. I do not want to live in a country like Russia where organized crime runs everything in the background and the citizens live under a blanket of oppression, expected party loyalty, and the threat of strongmen violence. America should be the light to that darkness, and Trump has been operating in shadow his whole life.

I believe if that the two of us (you and me) shared a coffee ten years ago and you read this email, you would completely agree with what i wrote. That your description of what you wanted in a President and what you wanted America to be would align with what I am describing. It is only because "your guy" is now in power and the conservative reframes who he is and what words mean that my description would now be something to take issue with. I guarantee that if you were able to step outside yourself and the context of Liberal/Conservative, winning/losing, etc you too would be completely opposed to what is happening. I am not so politically activated because I am a sore loser or to line up with some Liberal agenda, I am genuinely afraid at the most personal level that we are rewarding evil and that our country is being destroyed...and that the next great war is more a possibility than ever. Those conclusions are completely justified by observing what is actually happening.
I agree with the aspirations you summarize in your three points. Unfortunately, we have not had a President that embodied them in at least 30 years.
B.A. Bearacus
G1, take if from the last president you admired, George H.W. Bush. Donald J. Trump doesn't belong.

blungld
Golden One said:

blungld said:

Golden One said:

I agree with the aspirations you summarize in your three points. Unfortunately, we have not had a President that embodied them in at least 30 years.
That's great to hear. So can you join with those on this board like me and in the public discourse to protect this investigation, find the truth, and restore order and our values! Defending Trump when he works against the things in my post excuses what he is doing, and makes a return to the values that we both share less possible.
dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

Actually you can get a lot of mileage out of not being Trump given his approval ratings, typical losses in mid terms by the party in power, and large numbers of Repubs retiring. It gets you close to a majority.

But, Congressional races are local struggles-many Dems in swing districts won't mention Trump's name (or Pelosi) but will talk about policy like Willie suggests-health care, education, unions. Those in safe blue districts -.like Willies-.will talk impeachment to rile the base even though that's not likely to happen. At any rate Trump so dominates our politics that he will be the center of it all-in the media, anyway- who are mostly far removed from what is really happening.
Many Dems in swing districts, like in mine, will mention Trump's name to great affect (mentioning Pelosi will mostly get you blank stares here in New Jersey, except for Fox News zombies who aren't voting Democratic anyway).

Though it is not exactly accurate to call mine a swing district. It's always been considered a safe Republican district. My County voted against FDR. But now the Democrat is expected to win due to Trump revulsion.
American Vermin
bearister
F Willie. If I need any sh@t from him I'll squeeze his head.

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odiousmakes you so sick at heart that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all."
Mario Savio
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.